Question about this expansions boxes.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vote Kanye 2020, Jan 10, 2015.

1. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

U stated boxes will be too expensive for the runes one is likely to receive for a chunk of change. (i.e. Poor value). That was followed by the fact that probs only gonna get 2-3 exos per box if lucky, but then u shared the opinion that those exos "will probably be worthless" anyway. Thus another way of saying value be too low from your perspective. Darth Vader told me u needed more faith. And I shared his opinion with u for free. I agree that DoGz needs to provide us gamer types with good value in each box. Finally, I suggested u take the last word to share any further nuggets of wisdom. Clarified?

Lushiris likes this.
  2. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

I remember winning draft tournaments granted LE versions of 1 of 2 runes from the expansion. (Depending on which deaft type ypu did.) Maybe give 1 per box players buy, then 1 different with 5% chance to get in packs.

3. Nautilak

Nautilak Devotee of the Blood Owl

Personally I'm fine with whatever price they put because I'm consciously aware that without them making any profit they would go under.

DOG having to purchase Pox Nora again and putting as much time and effort into it --- regardless of what players thought of the outcome -- -shows their dedication.

Yes their balancing is different and their moving in a different direction. It's expected because of how SOE took the game. I just hope I can afford TO show my support to them by purchasing a box or something similar.

AS far as buying boxes goes though I know Magic the gathering offers a 'buy-a-box promo' which is just an alternate art promo for purchasing a box.

soulmilk likes this.
  4. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

what im curious about is the idea that you need powercreep in order to sell packs and boxes. But without balanced gameplay how is powercreep measured? and with balance in such flux and every rune subject to nerfs, what is the incentive to pay for new cards? and if its just the 'newness' that people are paying for, then how/why did the powercreep cycle get started in the first place?

I understand the motivation of collectors. they want a complete collection they gotta pay. but since just owning the card is what they are paying for, subsequent changes to the card don't matter. But for players who are trying to get the edge, why pay for cards that will most likely be nerfed down the road? Perhaps they are banking on the greens slow response to balance issues?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  5. Nautilak

Nautilak Devotee of the Blood Owl

I could be wrong in my response Ragic but I'll try my best. :)

Overtime power creep is a gradual occurrence in abilities, stats, etc. As a game designer you have to provide incentive for a player to purchase and want to use your product. The issue isn't that they need power creep in order to sell boosters --- because they don't. Power creep occurs because designers start experimenting with new abilities and trying to provide this incentive -- no one wants to buy the set that has the faux mobilization that gives 1 AP for 70 nora. This is where where power creep happens. The issue is that if they can't assign a base level in a set and say that the set they just released was their goal than they have nothing to balance towards. However if they can establish a base line that they as DOG are comfortable with for their game than they can slowly and carefully start looking at past runes to provide them new life and give them a reason to be played in their new scheme of balance.

Part of the issue is that because it's been touched by so many developers it hasn't actually been able to have a base line for balance set or standards applied -- it's what they hope to do here. If they can set that standard then the balance of the existing game becomes easier because they know what their goal is. Instead of looking at all the factions and saying 'I want them to be equal in strength' and not being able to measure that instead they might look at a rune such as Defiler Knight and say that it is the balance standard they want to adhere to.

Because of that if they release a new expansion it allows them to set that goal and start working towards it. Yes the game might not have perfect balance currently -- thinking any game will ever be perfectly balanced is foolish because their are always outliers and trends. But DOG as a company need to release it because this isn't just their favorite hobby or the game they've played for years and love -- it's also a business.

If they aren't releasing new product and making sales they won't be able to afford to make all of the changes as far as balance is concerned and the issue will stay the same.

Another issue with the fluctuating power level of sets is that the game no longer has any limited formats and doesn't do rotation. Magic the Gathering balances their set to work within itself and within past formats. Because they have limited formats such as draft and sealed where they are allowing players to play with just that set they have to watch and balance accordingly.

This is why in magic sets you have 'vanilla' creatures and effects that are simpler at a lower rarity -- it isn't meant to be that rarity equals power. It's that rarity usually equals flavor/complexity. This is because if a common is the most seen example of a set you want to try and make it universally understandable instead of putting overly complex or difficult abilities at that rarity. It just unfortunately happens sometimes, not all the time, that complex abilities are more powerful.

So in truth the set allows them a means to start balance and get revenue -- something they as a company very much need.

We as players have the incentive to buy it so they have the revenue to balance and support the game with.

If we aren't willing to support the game than we probably won't be able to play it at all or at least not in the balanced manner people desire.

While they are trying to clean up and bring a new dream to Pox Nora after all the hand changes it has been through the only real options we have are to offer constructive criticism that isn't just berating them for their choices but instead offers opinions and desires and to buy their product. If the game doesn't matter enough for us to purchase said product when we have saw how hard at work they are then really why are any of us here if we care so little about the game in the first place?

#Optimist

Ragic likes this.
  6. Revengercm

Revengercm I need me some PIE!

I want to spend money but while doing it I want to save my time because what's the point in buying one exo which I could get in two days by buying two good extended exos? At least 4 exos 100% from Ronin and I'll spend $40.

7. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

I understand the motivation of the greens to sell runes. What im not quite positive of is the reason players buy the runes. While I'm sure 'supporting the game' is reason enough for more than a few of the current playerbase (because players with any other motivation have long since left). But I doubt its going to be the motivation of a majority of the players for any given game. And its surely not the motivation the greens are banking on trying to grow the playerbase. At least I hope not.

8. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

More like GG.

DarkJello likes this.
  9. Indijanac

Indijanac I need me some PIE!

Better off with no legendary .. hard to get and traders blackmail whole community with them.

10. Revengercm

well now they're forgable and since the forge prices will be more "friendly" then you could get a legendary per if you play nonstop I guess.

11. Lauremoon

Lauremoon I need me some PIE!

"6 common, 3 uncommon, and 1 rare rune. Each rare slot has a 10% chance of becoming an exotic. Additionally, this pack comes with 1 token and a 5% chance to get an extra EXOTIC rune from this set."

What about this? An exotic is not a legendary rune, but since they are new ones... Seems like a good replacement.

Also, the possibility of double exotic pack would be sick.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    DarkJello and Vote Kanye 2020 like this.
  12. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

yeah that's what I was hoping for. Seems like a good deal tbh

DarkJello likes this.
  13. Revengercm

[​IMG]
    getting two exos from one pack had me like

Poxlife and DarkJello like this.