Ranger Decks

Discussion in 'K'Thir Forest' started by Sokolov, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Elves Rule

Elves Rule I need me some PIE!

Hunter's charm is fine. Other stuff which has been mentioned before, yeh, they need to be changed.

2. kagebunshn

kagebunshn I need me some PIE!

I'll show a couple examples later, after I get home from work.

3. phdstax

phdstax Active Member

No.

4. ChiaoLung

ChiaoLung I need me some PIE!

Yes. It's not a bad equip in plants.

5. phdstax

phdstax Active Member

Hunter's Charm, yes, works in other builds but not in a Ranger one. This discussion is about a KF Ranger build and Hunter's Charm is a Ranger specific equip, so no, it does work as is if we want it to keep its flavor since Rangers have lost much of its access to Forest Front and Trail Forest.

6. ChiaoLung

How is it a ranger specific equip? Also, why change something that already works well in the faction?

7. phdstax

phdstax Active Member

Really?

The Wilderkin believed themselves to be the greatest predators of K`thir. Some even dared to hunt rangers of K`thir. To protect themselves, the (blink, blink, look here) >>>>>> "Rangers" <<<<<< (look here, blink, blink) appointed a few to counter the Wilderkin advances. They were known simply as the Hunters, marked by a wooden charm around their necks.

It was originally designed to help Rangers, when Germination Engine granted Vegetation terrain for each KF spell with an AOE, so that Rangers (centrally speaking) could leap from Vegetation terrain to Vegetation terrain with cover.

8. ChiaoLung

Yep, and flavor text has been thrown out the window time and again in this game. Also, if I'm remembering correctly, this equip has changed several times over the years. The ranger theme has changed several times as well until at this point Sok doesn't see it as a theme when it's been a fairly consistent one in KF, even if it's been really weak lately. Again, why change something that is functional to shoehorn it into a particular theme?

9. phdstax

phdstax Active Member

I get what you are saying, and it makes sense with the exception that the same reasoning is then applied to the other equips already listed is this discussion, like Elite Blade. By your logic, why bother making that an equip to help Rangers when it is not specific to them?

10. ChiaoLung

Elite Blade is a steaming pile of dung and could use a rework. Hunter's Charm actually works. It's a relatively inexpensive equip that does a decent job in a specific theme. It's not great, it's not terrible, it's just good in that theme. Many of our other equips range from bad to terribad. We've got some great negative equips and then some equips that are good if used in the right bg.

If you really want to see Hunter's Charm redone what would you make it?

11. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

Ranger Number 5:
    A little bit of swordsman's what you need
    A little bit of marksman (Yes, indeed!)
    A little bit of stealth (Hey, what was that?)
    A little bit of magic in my hat
    A little bit of everything's what we do
    Except make a good theme deck for you!

super71, Qucas, chris0024 and 4 others like this.
  12. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Any chance a ranger rune could get that skeezick vanguard abilities that gives initiative 1? I imagine rangers to be this really high tempo theme so i think it would be flavorful. Also condor fury to ranger?

13. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

As you might have guessed from the above, when I think of Rangers, I think of versatility. Melee with Arrowshot. Ranged with Stab. It might be neat to have some thematic way of granting, reducing the cool down of, and/or increasing the damage of those abilities. Not as the only theme synergy Rangers have, but perhaps as a portion of it.

super71, Qucas, Tweek516 and 2 others like this.
  14. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

Some Ranger/Archer cross synergy might be cool too:

Cross Training (activated ability with cool down) - Friendly Archers gain Stab till the end of the turn. Friendly Rangers gain Arrowshot till the end of the turn. The cool downs of Stab and Arrowshot on friendly champions are reset.

That champ would have a place in two themes and a hybrid of the two.

Qucas and Tweek516 like this.
  15. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

In preparation for possibly getting Swarm: Winged Lerper, what do you all think about replacing Flight with Running Start and putting Forage on Winged Lerper's base? The flavor text states that the little lerpers have slightly weaker wings. Forage would also give the swarms 3 AP when they are created due to the auto-collect feature of Swarm. Good idea or not really needed?

16. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

What do y'all think about giving Rangers a more Beast synergy kinda thing. i've got ideas but it would require new abilities so meh probably wouldn't happen.

17. phdstax

phdstax Active Member

If they would revert Germination Engine back to what it used to do which was to change vegetation terrain effects for longer duration after a KF AOE spell was cast, then I would leave Hunter's Charm as is because it worked well in that build. BUt since Germination Engine does do that, I might change it to the following.

Nora Cost 35
    If the equipped champion has Race: Plant, it gains Domain: Vegetation and Hidden: Vegetation. If the equipped champion is Class: Ranger it gains Stealth and Combat Awareness 2.

Then, change Skyshear Pegasus to Class: Rogue.

18. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

It never did that. What it did was make KF AEs also generate Vegetation.

19. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Why?

20. phdstax

phdstax Active Member

Because he would double benefit being a ranger and plant