Seism just showcases how horribly broken banners are

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BurnPyro, Sep 12, 2016.

1. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Global anything is bad for the game remove shitty seism as it was essentially just a bad counter to fw, and gives banners a large aoe like 8 or something. Will make people think before they place it and it might not become so much of an auto include anymore, while still giving full faction players something decent.

The power lvl between full faction and splits is probably the biggest improvement since sok came back in my opinion. The only bgs I see that are too strong in splits are gimmicky bgs.

Oh and spirit of the mountain Firk that thing, and aspect of chaos just cause I never liked that thing.

One of my biggest problems with poxnora over the years has always been the slots taken up for counters and auto power include runes. Here's my auto include rune pole in every bg nowadays.

Banner
    Shatter or anti equip
    Detection
    Dispel
    Spot removal

Now I'm down to 25 runes, this isn't counting the couple powerful runes everybody runs in every faction (doom, whispers, gale force etc). I'd say once I start actual bg building I'm down to around 22 or 21 runes.

Just some thoughts @Sokolov

2. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

Statue of Xulos > Seism

JellyBerry likes this.
  3. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

I got to 1300 xp without running any of these things. your complaint seems invalid

JellyBerry, Gnomes and davre like this.
  4. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

Wow thats a lot of exp!

JellyBerry and Gnomes like this.
  5. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

for someone who goes outside. yes

6. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Going to your latrine in the middle of nowhere doesn't count as going outside, sweet cheeks. <3

Gnomes likes this.
  7. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

As folks have mentioned, Seism isn't a hard counter. Unstable Powersource / Overload -- that's a hard counter. Seism is whatever.

And yeah, boo banners.

8. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Well...
    Expected.

Ballballer likes this.
  9. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

Time Slip has always felt like a problem rune to me. Unless people were playing Tuttles, ive only ever really seen the spell used in draw win type scenarios, where people make their first deploy and then cast Time Slip pretty much right off the bat at start of the game and then proceed to haul ass across the whole map and take/contest your font, thats not fun. It is a gamble, but it usually payed off from my experiences. The last time i experienced this though was a while ago so i dont know if anything has been done since to address this kind of stuff, and im also not a great player so i probably make mistakes that compound the problem. Id be happy to see Time Slip disappear altogether but i am not a KF player and never use the rune personally.

10. Capitulator

Capitulator I need me some PIE!

Give me a banner to make friendly deployment zones shallow water and I'll be a happy man. Or if we want to continue with OP banners, make it water impeding 1 for 3 turns.

11. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I generally think it's less of an issue than people make it out to be. It's not a non-issue, and specific themes can be nerfed in that manner, but in general I don't find HP stacking to be this huge issue.

Individually none of the HP boosters are an issue to my mind (other than potentially the auto include status of banners), and collectively, it's largely an issue only for themes that have summons, and even then summons and stat stacking have been nerfed so many times that's aside from say, Voils (which have a confluence of stuff), it's more of a "big numbers look big" kind of thing than anything.

12. Sokolov

In a deckbuilding game, one of the resources you have to manage is your deck slots.

The choice is typically on this the spectrum of including Counters vs including Synergies.

You decide how much to bring. Some decks favor having answers to opponent's stuff, other decks favor doing what the deck does better.

You don't autolose every game someone deploys an equipment because you don't have Shatter - this attitude some people have that you need to counter every possible game in the game has always been fakse. Go look at the top decks and see that they focus on countering things that their deck is susceptible to, and find other ways to mitigate weaknesses. At the same time, many runes will serve as soft counters to a variety of stuff while having other utility - for example, Static Greeting and other things like that help you with Stealth without explicit need for Detection. Dispel is only necessary if you are concerned about stacked buffs - which not all decks care about - some will just outright remove it, others will go around such a champ or otherwise CC it/keep it occupied.

Deckbuilding is an important part of playing PoxNora, but if you start with the assumption that you must have counters to everything, you are going to have a bad time. You will constantly find that you don't have some answer and when that happens it makes the thing seem op but the reality is that countering things directly all the time is not your only or even the best option.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  13. Sokolov

Yea, that's why Time Slip is on the list to be re-designed (along with Transfusion). I asked the Council for some ideas so I could present some options to the KF forums for further discussion, but it may just have to be more of a blank slate as I really don't know what to do with the thing other than go completely away from the current design - for example, maybe it should just be along the lines of Blizzard Cloak but KF already has a ton of defensive spells like that.

Anima26 likes this.
  14. Capitulator

Capitulator I need me some PIE!

Time Slip: Target champion has no AP cap for 5 turns. 25 nora?

15. kagebunshn

kagebunshn I need me some PIE!

Yes banner is auto-include...is there a reason you think that is a bad thing?

No matter how many nerfs you do, there will always be a rune that does something 'the best' and is auto.

In any given faction, the top 5 most prevalent spells and equips and relics you would probably see 3 or so of each in most of the BGs.

Kf always runs cleansing emerald and at least 1 of the 3 ae spells. IS runs RD and hammer. UD runs FR.

16. kagebunshn

Time Slip...for 4 turns target champion gains Impenetrable and 1 rank of combat awareness. If cast on an enemy champion, that champion is Stalled for 4 turns.

17. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

fr is expensive and dumb

18. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

An interesting observation can be made from your attempt to defend banners that actually speaks to the points made by the OP and others. You say autoinclude is not a bad thing, which I agree, but then you proceed to compare banners with spells that cost more, do less, effect less champions, are localized (rather than global) and/or are not permanent. Which basically puts you directly in agreement with others in that you are espousing the idea wherein some of these characteristics could be given to the banner. The point is, that autoinclude by itself does not make a rune broken, but its one of a few easily discernible characteristics of a rune that bring it into the light of scrutiny and discussion.

Banners proportionately have always helped cheapmeat decks being that the benefit is gained more often and is a larger percentage HP and dmg gained. It has been discussed previously to possibly exclude summons (only apply to real champions/rune dock deploys). Now that many champion creation abilities and interactions have been normalized to produce summons vs. realclones/realchamps, this might be even more impactful.

Secondly, giving it a range of 8, for example, could also make it a more strategic deploy and also keep it reasonably in the threat range of enemy champions.

I'd still deploy it, as is, at 30 nora without second thought, so I'm not sure a cost increase accomplishes anything.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    Woffleet likes this.
  19. bambino

bambino I need me some PIE!

I still dont get it,,, if the purpose of a banner is to help FF,,, why not just drop the banner and work a bonus into playing a FF,,, instead of splitting in split..? too much maybe?

20. kagebunshn

It sounds as if you are arguing that banner is OP only for summoned champs but not other ones.

I think banners are just fine, but I think cheap free meat is massively OP.

You are comparing banners to champs that frequently cost 0 nora, are repeatable, permanent, increase your spell presence, can roadblock multiple REAL enemy champs, can be healed, and can even DROP banners. Which one was OP again?

super71 likes this.