Simple way to fix trading

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nea, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Nea

Nea I need me some PIE!

READ THE POST ON SECOND PAGE

This is a really old topic, it came up several times, I think I got a really simple idea, but before I get into details let me clarify one thing.

When I say "simple", I don't mean "easy to implement", I mean only "simple to understand".

The idea is: Auction House using Nora Shards.

Plot twist: this can be done by a 3rd party site, Nora Shards are not tradeable, but it would be possible to set up a site where you can trade in all your excess cards and receive 1:1 of the Nora Shard value into whatever virtual currency said site would use. If you wanted to get a card for your 3rd party Shards, you can just as you would with a regular forge - pick a rune, the system would forge it from it's pool of Shards and then trade it back to you. At this point you can submit cards to your account and trade them with other users for the shards.

Consider this a challenge, if none of you greedy bastards implement this before me, and I can be extremely lazy, I'll have to do it better and cash in little to no profits on the system. Because I can.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
    Anima26, IMAGIRL, voodoochile and 5 others like this.
  2. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

the marriage proposal is still on the table just fyi

3. TheBulwark

TheBulwark I need me some PIE!

Pass

4. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

With a population of a few thousand (> 10k), yes it would work. With what we have, no effect.

5. MogaBait

MogaBait I need me some PIE!

What would be some instances in other online games where this was implemented successfully? Just curious and want to see what others have done with a similar system.

6. Nea

Nea I need me some PIE!

Care to elaborate why you think population is an issue here? I'd think it's easier to find someone willing to trade a card for univeral currency than find someone willing to barter trade one card for bunch of other cards, not to mention all the trades that are bordering scam on the trader we have atm.

BattleForge did it years ago, which is as similar of a game to Pox as it gets.

7. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

I played battleforge,and in the auction there were always ton of cards,even the most rarest card always had one or two auctions but i dont think that pox will have that many runes available on auction,especially the expensive exo/legs which are currently the most problematic ones to acquire fairly.

8. Nea

Nea I need me some PIE!

That much is true, but accessability of the rarest cards is not a problem I'm trying to solve, legendaries in particular would be quite easy to solve if legs became available for Shards, should Gedden bite the bullet on that. I don't think exos in high demand would be much of an issue, if you can find it right now on trader, you would find it on AH. The point is not to solve all issues of Pox, the point is to get around barter trading and arbitrary prices 3rd party stores can set with a market.

Sirius likes this.
  9. JaceDragon

JaceDragon I need me some PIE!

So, do this project start?

10. Nea

Nea I need me some PIE!

I've been hacking at it after work since Tuesday, going to dump this weekend into it, depending on work load might take few days off. I've already partially refactored current PoxBase backend (which is pretty barebones atm, so not much work there) from PHP to CoffeeScript/node.js, and layed down the foundations for automated trader, already automated login process and sending IMs on the website, but that's kind of trivial.

I want to be able to show something more than promises before I reveal how it's going to work exactly, even if that something is just some absolutely core auto-trade functionality and UI mockups. Right now, though, I need some sleep.

JaceDragon and Goyo like this.
  11. JaceDragon

Take your time, this work would improve the game more than poxbox can hope do to with thousand price increase

12. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

How is this better than the rune forge we have now/thats coming will the rates be better?
    why don't you wait for a while till ronin is released then make a price depending on the new shard prices

13. JaceDragon

I guess you missed the point here.

14. decondor

decondor I need me some PIE!

I fail to see how this works exactly? I mean I got rune A that is worth 500 shards, I trade it in and I can get any other rune that is worth 500 shards because it is forged by the trader. But the trader/site actually needs to sacrifice other runes to get the real shards. So now the site takes the loss and not the player.
    Because basically you need roughly 5 times the amount of runes traded inside your site.
    Where is the auction part in it?

Also you name universal currency but it actually is a fictual currency that just happens to have the same name right?

PS really want to understand how this works, I feel stupid for not seeing how this is feasible lol

15. Nea

Nea I need me some PIE!

The site will not take any losses or gains at all, the players who deposits cards decide which cards are the commodity that they want to trade and which cards are the "shard fodder" and thus are the currency. So if you have a card that has shard values of 150/500 (shard/forge), you can either turn it into 150 units of the currency, or try to sell it to some other player for any amount of currency between 150 and 500 both parties agree to.

I will write a more detailed explanation later this weekend, maybe tonight, including some alterations to how I'm going to use the forge and when runes are actually going to get sharded by the system. Also, it's not going to be an auction house, although I may add auctions as an option later, right now I'm aiming for a generic instant trading market system.

Side note: I'm up for suggestions for the name of the currency, I like ฿unnies, since Magma Bunny is 1 shard.

JaceDragon, Goyo, SireofSuns and 2 others like this.
  16. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

Just to absolutely clarify what he means:

You have 500 currency.

Let's say Ambling Frond costs 500 to forge and shards for 200.

Another player auctions his Ambling Frond for 300. This means he gets more than he would if he sharded it and you would pay less than you would if you forged it. Win win.

So, do you shard your runes on the official site and pay 66% more to forge a rune or do you shard them to the auction site, which has all the forges functionality, but also has a regulated trader implemented?

The main issue will be getting people to initially shard anything rather than auctioning it. Might end up with a ton of auctions and no one willing to take the initial sharding hit.

Maybe only allow people with 500+ currency to create trades? Or anyone who has, at some point, sharded 500. Not currently has that much. The point would be that they'd have cobtributed to the economy before being able to trade within it.

Then again, might not be necessary when a player sees a rune he wants for cheaper than the forge on there. But it would be up against poxbase for lower end prices.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
    Nea likes this.
  17. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

I always enjoy the argument that pox doesn't have a big enough playerbase to implement an idea to grow the playerbase.

SireofSuns and Nea like this.
  18. Nea

Nea I need me some PIE!

That did occur to me when I initially posted this thread, and I believe I've found a solution to precisely that problem of the system. It does require a solid explanation and I don't want to make one a half firked one right now though.

19. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

Also, out of curiosity, will your system also be auto-sharding the runes you receive?

And if so, do you plan to shard up to a threshhold?

I ask because if people want to forge a rune you would want to have enough shards and a quick enough process of sharding and forging to take fast, efficient orders and put them up to trade.

But at the same time, it would be very cost efficient to also keep the more valuable runes to trade out directly rather than sharding them and having to re-forge them later. I imagine this is where the creator of the system would be able to benefit the most without skimming any "fees" from the users. It is also the best way to slowly build a reserve of "shards" for the system.

20. Nea

Nea I need me some PIE!

Not exactly.