so let's be frank.

Discussion in 'Savage Tundra' started by calisk, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Coord Towers effect and nora price is fine.
    What could maybe change is Encouraged only proccing from attacks that are in an AoE of 2 spaces from the tower, not globally.
    Sounds reasonable?

Entrepidus likes this.
  2. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

I haven't properly looked over relics yet to really evaluate coords place in it all, it is the only auto include relic on my list aside from banners though.

3. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

@calisk
    Cleansing Storm
    - I preffer it global without heal. Also AoE with heal is a buff, situationally better in our control.

Swap - "I suppose I could drop it to 6." It would be confusing to see no effect when casting with a flying unit at max range.

Snow Storm - Should affect enemy units only.

Deep Feeze - Sounds interesting at AoE3 40N cost.

Retrieve - This would be a whole new spell for us, very versatile. To avoid lategame abuses, you can make the unit go to it's owner shrine/avatar in case of no available deployment space. On top of that, it should be renamed to Return.

Rebound - Unnequipable sounds like too much of a buff. People will complain for sure. But I would like it to be changed somehow.

Retreat - It should be a spell to be used on high costed champions, like heroes. I don't know if at 20/25N it would see too much play, but it shouldn't be as expected as a Sacrifice from UD. "killing" champions shouldn't be caracteristic from us. Sorry my english is terrible.

4. calisk

with retrieve yes if you have no fonts it would return to the shrine and if transfigured in the same scenario it should fizzle, i.e do nothing.

rebound refunds 50% of the nora cost of the equipment and gives it back to them within 2 rounds, unequippable is a fair exchange for those draw backs. of course that's my opinion, and from experience, worst case scenario you just apply an 8 turn timer to the unequippable.

retreat doesn't kill champs it removes them from the battlefield you can then redeploy them the next turn, in exchange we don't really highly profit from the spell. i.e a 12 nora return off the cost of the spell at 25 nora on a 75 nora champ, and no globe to pick up like with sacrifice.

5. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

I reffer to the mechanic of denying a champion.

Anyway it's an existing rune, making it playable is reasonable.

6. Entrepidus

Entrepidus I need me some PIE!

I think you're underestimating the value of Frozen in Deep Freeze.

Deep Freeze [45N] (Area 5 - All spaces become Ice for 4 turns. All units take 10 Frost damage. Units successfully damaged become Frozen 3.)

Ice Storm [50N] (Area 4 - All spaces become Ice for 2 turns. All units take 8 Frost Damage. Units successfully damaged become Eviscerated 2. Units with Flying become Grounded 2 and take 5 Physical damage.)

Deep Freeze would apply -1 DMG/DEF and -2 SPD to non-Arctic units in a larger area with more (Ampable) Frost damage than Ice Storm. The Frozen debuff translates into more damage from any subsequent attacks in the next 3 turns. This means attacks on your turn, NKD counterstrikes and another round of attacks on your turn. It's likely better than Ice Storm as a result, but only against non-Arctic.

Ice Storm would have a smaller area, shorter Ice duration, less (Ampable) Frost damage, but it Grounds flyers and deals bonus damage to them. It is clearly better against Flyers, but not every BG has them.
    For reference, any of comments I make for your changes to damage spells use my own list of suggested changes.

Deep Freeze
    I would never use this. It's now smaller than Ice Storm and overlaps with Hypothermia. Burning Sands is better given that Frozen 3 vs non-flying is not worth 2 Frost damage and Chilled 3 to everything. I'd also still use your version of Ice Storm over this as it creates its own terrain and applies a DoT.

Ice Storm/Snowstorm
    Moving grounding over doesn't make sense, conceptually. An ice storm is dropping solid blocks of ice (which hit flyers) while a snowstorm blows semi-frozen drops of water every which way. I'd prefer my set of changes as Ice Storm and Deep Freeze can outshine each other in specific situations (which match their name, conceptually) and Snowstorm is a non-damage debuff spell that applies Lumbering (since you can still fly/move in a snowstorm, just very slowly like the rune art).

Gale Force
    Agreed, but consider making the Knockback affect only 1x1 champs.

Cleansing Storm
    If you're using Herbal Antidote as a reference, this is strictly inferior; add something to compensate for the lack of immunities. Area 4 and Heal 5-6 is one option. Alternatively, stick with global but drop the heal.

Lock Down
    This is headed in the right direction. I'd add Immobile 2 and remove hidden, though. Use it to force a fight rather than allow them to run away.

Retrieve

At first glance I see this quickly becoming 2x auto. I think it needs another +5N, but that is a purely knee jerk reaction if I'm being honest. I wouldn't give a refund for using on friendly champs.

Rebound

Not sure how I feel about this. I don't use it because champion removal is almost always better, but I'm just as unlikely to use this version of it.

Retreat

30-35N seems like a more reasonable number. Casting it with your changed cost will always net you a return as hardly any champs cost 40-50N. 30-35N is on par with the midrange cost of revamped champs and, as you said, if it's already a good spell, don't give it such a large buff.

Summon Ant
    Understandable, but adjusting Coordination Tower seems like it would work just as well.

Swap
    I support this just because ranged champs have been nerfed so heavily that it's harder to deal with a range of 8 than pre-revamp. You might even drop it to 6, but lower the cost by 5.

Goyo likes this.
  7. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

You're completely right I forgot to consider the debuffs applied by frozen. That being said another reduction to icestorm's ice isn't required.

Regarding cleansing storm if we are gonna change our only source of spot cleanse in spells it should affect friendly champions only. Then we could drop the global effect and reduce the heal to 4.

8. Entrepidus

Entrepidus I need me some PIE!

The reduction is intended to give Deep Freeze the longer duration. We could bump Deep Freeze to 6 turns and keep Ice Storm at 4 (doesn't makes sense conceptually as falling blocks of ice wouldn't freeze the ground), but that pushes Deep Freeze in the direction of the problem Ice Storm previously had. I wanted to remove the terrain application from Ice Storm, entirely, but felt that would cause understandable grumbles. A single turn of -1 SPD seemed like a good compromise.

9. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

The moans about the ice duration were largely due to ready on ice in addition to the -1 speed for non-arctic champs. This thread proposes the removal of ready eliminating a lot of problems. I think 6 turns would be fine but I wouldn't have a problem with both spells only bringing 4 turns of ice.

10. calisk

ice is still -1 speed to the opposing armies though, which is very relevant when considering the effectiveness of ice storm, to be honest I doubt anyone involved with reducing the ice was thinking much about the ready bonus

as for snowstorm grounding thematically it's quite legit I live in Canada, snow storms can ground you more effectively then a bunch of falling ice.

keep in mind people I am not trying to make deep freeze and ice storm auto includes, ice storm is currently a 2x auto include, even with the minor love tap to the terrain. It's quite possible that with these changes players especially running amp decks will go back to the classic tactic of storing nora and dropping 4 AOE bombs. That is a key reason with going with a smaller AOE on deep freeze, if that's what you want to do then it'll be harder to pull off.

now for it's viability perhaps the freeze duration could be a little longer on deep freeze 4 turns perhaps but at 10 nora cheaper then ice storm 1 round seemed fine, perhaps snow storm could be a little better, some players might never want to use one, I myself would love the effectiveness of spot frozen, especially in themes like NKD that now need spot frozen, or any form of speed control that will likely use snow over ice that has a better effect for reducing mobility.

this is the comparison between the suggested ice storm and deep freeze.

Deep freeze - 40 nora aoe-3 10 damage,non-flyers then suffer -1 speed, -1 damage, - 1 def via the frozen condition which triggers theme benefits.

ice storm - 50 nora aoe-4, 10 damage, chill 2, non-flyers now suffer -1 speed and ice triggers theme benefits.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  11. s4ndm4ns

s4ndm4ns I need me some PIE!

Calisk,
    is there a reason why you are going after spells only? I see much more benefit for any theme if they get proper champ than a spell.

Goyo likes this.
  12. calisk

well I opened up with spells because those are very easy to manipulate, there are no rules for spells like champs have for costing and effect.

champs in the current version of the game are quite rigid, and I'm not allowed to discuss the formula in detail, so feedback on spells at least for the moment will be easier for everyone to give me then champs since without the formula you can't really get an idea of the nora cost for that champ.

I spent most of yesterday just pouring over data, and ability costs, while waiting to get access to the information for how stats are costed. once I have that I can get accurate champ costs and present relevant ideas for champs that might exist.

I'm also only discussing spells that require no coding additions, most of the theme centered ones require additional coding.

for example I wanted freeze the earth to take AP at the start of each turn an enemy occupies the ice it creates. that's new coding.

anyway these are only the tip of the ice berg, for what I'd like to discuss, but it will take time before the champ ideas are ready.

for what it's worth my first targets in the buff category is blizzard elemental, yeti avalancher, and either lonx bounty hunter, lonx chief, or lonx hunt leader.

I believe these champs have the best chance to get brought up as they all have redundant abilities that can be adjusted.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    Goyo likes this.