Sobering up (updated/solved)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Agirgis1, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

Hey guys I somewhat remember a thread earlier about weight-loss so I thought i'd start another self-improvement thread for people with similar issues.

Currently I smoke ( a lot) and drink nearly everyday, usually the drinking side was controlled by not wanting to waste huge sums of cash, but in past few months I started getting introduced to a lot of rich people who pay for the tables/drinks/girls every single time (live in Dubai... so this isn't even exaggerated). The invites kept coming, and I kept going, who turns down free stuff right?

Here I am now, I don't really want to quit to be honest, but I was dealing with a girl recently and noticed my emotional stability was completely off, while I'm usually calm and collected. I fear I am watching myself slip to insanity, and I don't even want to stop falling.

Anyone who has faced similar struggles or current faces them? Any advice to be offered?

Tweek516 likes this.
  2. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

Life is a rollercoaster ride. Enjoy the ups while they last. Just don't lose yourself. As to the chick, b1tches be crazy, there's no help for that.

Qucas and Agirgis1 like this.
  3. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

You have to put yourself in an environment that will encourage the results you want. You're finding out that everything is NOT free, even if you don't have to pay the tab.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    Tweek516, Qucas, SPiEkY and 1 other person like this.
  4. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

Update: I quit smoking and drinking for a week after the post, that gave me some perspective.
    Now I only drink/party once a week ( and only if it was a stressful week), and it really feels great again, not like I'm doing something horrible. I'm still smoking but a lot less as well.
    I'm a lot more mentally/emotionally in control again as well, Moderation truly is the key it seems. But who knows what I'll believe the older the get.

Anyone else who was dealing with this or will eventually, treat these things as an outlet ( use only when needed), rather then a hobby/pass-time.

TL;DR Moderation craptalk actually works.

SireofSuns, Qucas and Tweek516 like this.
  5. eSmokefish

eSmokefish Devotee of the Blood Owl

Good job, and keep at it.

Qucas and Agirgis1 like this.
  6. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

how could moderation possibly be useful

darklord48 and Qucas like this.
  7. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

These things are just way too enjoyable, if I didn't have any responsibilities or future I'd probably be consistently drunk. In theory, the idea of being a drunk is romantically appealing to me, sadly reality isn't so fun.
    But alas, moderation is the key to enjoyment from such things, and leading a balanced life.

Granted if you don't do/enjoy that stuff even better, everyone is free to choose their poison of choice in life. And its not always substances.

8. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Gonna be completely honest with you. Much of "all things in moderation" is just a way for someone to keep doing what they shouldn't. A better quote should be "moderation paves the way for excess".

I'm proud of you for your triumph and self growth but if I'm being completely honest I'm reading keywords that make me think it's possible the hooks are still in.

I could be completely misreading the situation and I'm drawing heavily from my own experiences here as well.

I would HIGHLY recommend that you find someone who is a champion for your well being and set up accountability moving forward.

Anyway, internet words are hard to read through sometimes but I believe in you and know you'll find the right balance in your life for all things.

Well done, friend.

darklord48 likes this.
  9. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

the problem with "all things in moderation" is that it relies on you to know what moderation for those things is, which can be difficult to both know and adhere to when there's a chemical dependency involved

10. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

It gives the media a way to take cheap shots at presidential candidates.

SPiEkY likes this.