spitballing with NKD

Discussion in 'Savage Tundra' started by calisk, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Hiyashi

Hiyashi I need me some PIE!

Majestic does cripple melee units pretty well, sure. It doesn't make them completely useless though. The big issue would be that they'd only strip 1 AP off the newNKD while dealing no damage whatsoever while the current NKD would lose 2 AP per attack. Meaning that breaking through the NKD shield would suddenly become a lot more difficult.
    I think I actually undervalued the defensive capabilities of newNKD+Majestic. It could probably handle four 6SPD, 10DMG champions without ever taking damage.

I wouldn't say that newNKD with support is weaker than oldNKD.
    I'm pretty sure it's much stronger mainly because of the halfed activation cost.

An example that I can do without having access to a spreadsheet would be something like
    OldNKD+Majestic, 2def, 6spd, 6AP unit vs 3 ranged units and 3 melee units. All opponents have enough AP for one attack and 10 DMG = oldNKD takes 24 DMG.
    Same scenario with NewNKD = newNKD takes 9 DMG.
    (Since you brushed off Majestic and only acknowledged that DEF could be an issue: In a no DEF scenario that would be 30 DMG vs 15, still not too shabby.)

Big difference if my brain powered calculator didn't fail me. You could say that I was favoring the NKD thing a bit by leaving it at 6AP instead of the typical 4, but in a "I'm in your font!" Scenario that is somewhat likely to happen.

2. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

nah your right, the 2 ap versus 1 ap is a pretty big difference under this scenario.

"when this champion successfully attacks it gains a 5hp buffer."

seems like the least likely to break it. I'd prefer the monk synergy but trying to keep it as simple as possible.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  3. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

Or we can go with trigger caps. ;)

For your suggestion do the buffers stack and how long would it last?

4. calisk

well trigger caps are a way to go, but it doesn't resolve the issue of it causing problems identical to what we currently have or possibly worse. did trigger caps make the current NKD any better? people hate it as much now as they did before they were added.

5. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

Those problems can only occur if the champion has a damage reduction ability such as majestic from another source which can be dispelled or negated via destruction of the source (Grumble rock). You also pointed out yourself it doesn't have the same effect when against champs with range.

6. calisk

well it is better over all compared to the current, but I hadn't taken into consideration the defense of a unit, if you give a unit even 3 or 4 defense to apply a mirror shield or something to that effect this pretty near makes the unit harder to kill then before, we're talking talagar levels of difficult to kill, across every unit in the theme that you can afford to enhance.

yes MOST of the time it will be better then it is now, but those case scenario's worry me a lot.

7. TheBulwark

TheBulwark I need me some PIE!

Tbh all these solutions seem extremely convoluted and dont add anything interesting. The increasing complexiy doesnt attract new players to the game or satisfy old ones. There are enough complex abilities in the games and I would include discipline abilities amongst those. And once you add several more abilities, it becomes taxing. Wasnt the whole revamp to simplify an overly complex game? Leave nokhan do alone, there are more important things to focus on than making a fine ability more complex to nerf it

Pedeguerra likes this.
  8. calisk

you think damage buffers are convoluted and harder to deal with for a new player then the way it currently operates?

9. TheBulwark

Unless there is an update on how damage buffers are displayed on screen (since combat log is difficult to look through for that and actually the combat log should prolly be updated too but thats another topic) especially yes and if the combat log is updated still yes. Thats my 2 cents anyway

10. calisk

I do agree damage buffers should be tool tipped or displayed visually on top of the icon at the bottom. That should be the case for existing damage buffers as well.

aside from a simple display issue for user to understand damage buffers I don't see buffers as more or less complicated then an untracked number of dodges that negates several of their attacks, unless they meet one of a number of arbitrary conditions that they may not be familiar with yet.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  11. Entrepidus

Entrepidus I need me some PIE!

For me, 2ap per miss up to 6ap is significantly easier to track than X damage per attack per bubble per champion with NKD.

12. Entrepidus

Entrepidus I need me some PIE!

Are you also opposed to splitting NKD into two ranks as an activated ability with CD: 1/2?

13. TheBulwark

I would be because it just becomes block or dodge and loses its flavor. If you recall champs with nkd used to have either block or dodge and I see no point in reverting to the old mechanic after all the time spent trying to come up with a unique and monk themed ability.

14. calisk

it was not about simpler to track it was simpler to play around as well, a new player can brute force his was past a damage shield, theirs no way to comprehend early on how to deal with a champion that can pretty much ignore 2 vs 1 scenarios, with bad deck building and no counter ability or even having the knowledge of what counters the current nkd.

@TheBulwark they might not even know what distraction is and they most certainly don't know where or how to apply it, they won't have ap drain abilities in their little starter bg. it's far easier for them to under stand "I just need to hit them harder".