Studying stuff by heart

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by 19madfox95, Jan 18, 2015.

1. 19madfox95

19madfox95 I need me some PIE!

Some harder exams are coming now, and I haven't really attended those lectures a lot. But thanks to some people I got the questions and answers to them.

The question is, how in the nine worlds can I learn them? I am just awful or at least have never really tried to get something in my head so much that I will remember it for days.

So could somebody share any tips, pretty please?

PS: the exams are both about history.

2. Pixyrus

Pixyrus Forum Royalty

If you choose not to go to class, then you shouldn't be *****ing about that fact you can't study all the material in a few nights. So shut up, sit down, and start looking over the notes.

3. 19madfox95

I am aware of that. But the question was more about, how does one generally learn stuff by heart? Like poems or something of sorts.

I am not looking for an easy way out.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  4. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

Hmm well I usually chew some gum and instead of studying persay I will write out what I wanna know. As if im taking notes on taking notes it helps things stick in my head. When it comes to history tho you might wanna remember dates if were talking about wars in particular remember Generals, Battles (locations & victors of said battles), Who was involved and how did the war end (Ex: treaty of versailles, treaty of paris, armistice) and also the conditions of this treaty.

19madfox95 likes this.
  5. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Studying history can be rough. The best way to learn is honestly to go to class. Nothing passes that up. That said, there are a couple things you can do to make studying easier on yourself.

First, figure out about what you will need to know. Trying to get everything into your head is bound to be a failure, so prioritize.

Second, teach it to someone else. If you don't have anyone else who is studying and can work with you, try to teach it to yourself. That sounds weird, but teaching something is the best way to learn something, so anything you can do to setup that situation will help.

Third, work around important foci. Trying to remember a flat continuum of information is hard, but if there are a couple key points you can orient other facts around, it gets a lot easier. For instance, a person studying Constitutional Law would have to know about when the Marshall court ended, the dates of the Civil War, and 1937 - the Court Packing Plan. Whatever the important dates are will depend on the subject, but find a couple of the biggest moments that marked dramatic shifts, know why those shifts happened, and fit the rest of the information around that.

Last, don't just focus on memorizing dates. Memorization will happen naturally as you understand what happened and why; it's an incident of comprehension. Most good History exams will be about a lot more than just raw information. Try to fit the information you have from the notes into a sensible structure. (There's a lot about perspective and historical theory involved in this point, but unless you are taking a class on the Philosophy of History or Historical Inquiry, you don't need to worry about it too much.) Once you understand how things fit together - what led to what, why a person would do what they did, how important was this date for these reasons - remembering those little particulars becomes easier, because then they are all connected, and you must remember one of them to remember the others.

This is by no means expert advice, but I hope it helps a bit. Best of luck in your exams. Try to go to class next time. =P

Edit: Re-reading your first post, I really hope you don't mean you have the actual test answers and questions. That sort of stuff can actually get you evicted from school.

KingJad and 19madfox95 like this.
  6. 19madfox95

Kalasle, thank you for some really good tips, which I have never thought of before!

7. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

You have to read your text books with as much interest as you would your favorite hobby. Nobody cares how many pages you glanced at. They only care about what you've actually learned. So when you read, read with understanding. If you don't get something. Read it again.

19madfox95 likes this.
  8. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

politics exam is tuesday and I still don't understand crap about it, none of us do. but there's layers and these layers do things and people who do things in the layers came over to explain what they did ( they we're campaigning, we are not fools) and pretty much all evidence we found trying to get local goverment aprovement in the integral project pointed to them being liars or alienated from the outsiders difficulties of getting co-operation.

ethics is thursday, should be cake, unless they ask us if it's okay to kill two whales to save a panda because any awnser would probably contain at least 2 genocides in other continents to fix the issue. (luckily the subject matter is slightly more subtle and also completely diffirent part of ethics)

we also had projects but those weren't as interesting.

This semester feels weird for all of us biology students.

9. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

so tuition is how much and how many lectures did you attend, and how many lectures where there in total?

let's see how much money you or your benefactors flushed down the drain into the pockets of some director somewhere.

10. 19madfox95

University is free of charge in Estonia.

11. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

so just taxpayer money and your own time wasted then, good.

SaintKiwi likes this.
  12. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

The same way people learn anything else. Repeat until you get good at it.

Also, break topics up in parts and take notes.

Here's a video game analogy: To learn how to perform a combo in any fighting game, you have to memorize a certain pattern of inputs and then learn, how to execute the patern with correct timing. But because many comboes require you to remember a sequence of 20+ inputs, there is no way you can learn these at the first try, or even remember them at first try. So the steps are usually:
    1. Memorize the first couple of moves,
    2. Practice (repeat until you get good) executing them until they're fluent
    3. Do 1. and 2. for the next sequence
    4. Practice combining them to one fluent chain of moves.

In the same manner you should break down the material you have into parts, read and understand those, and then combine all of it into a whole.

It's also the same way you learn to play musical instruments (I play guitar, it works the exact same way).

Take notes when necessary/keywords. Writing things down helps to remember them, or at least gives you a point of reference.

Good luck.

edit: When you're stuck, seek external help.

19madfox95 likes this.
  13. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

this is a really bad way to teach a language to a group of people.

Karmavore and SaintKiwi like this.
  14. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Or a really great way

15. Sealer0

Huh? This is one of the main ways for people to learn languages. You learn words + pronounciation, then you learn to construct sentences (basic grammar), then you do it until you get better at it. If you keep talking with people, eventually you will get good at it (within realms of your own capabillity). I don't really see what's bad about that.

Edit: This is about self learning and practicing, not about teaching others.

16. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

17. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

yeah...
    I didn't know spieky had immages of you.

18. Sealer0

I send him nkids on priv every tuesday.

SPiEkY likes this.