The beginning of real (sort of) gaming

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by 19madfox95, Aug 6, 2014.

1. 19madfox95

19madfox95 I need me some PIE!

I have never been that good at games and especially in PoxNora, but I have been playing this game for long time now, many years I have been keeping eye on this game as for some reason I really like it. I have occasionaly tried to battle with other people, but I usually stayed with playing single player campaigns as I really sucked and there were no good ways to get Runes you wanted to before the Owls took over the world.

Now, in this era of the Owls, I am really interested to play the game because of all the GOLD! My first step towards greatness was that I found out (all thanks goes to Anutla, who told me about PoxBox) what the price of every Rune is. Before that I just bought myself an Extended Set Pack, made them into Nora Shards and just got every Common Rune in UD and then Uncommon. But when I found out that much cheaper way to trade there for Runes I want, then I went over to IS and got rid of my demons. Because dwarfs, maaan (can't forget hot Barbarian Huntress also!)!

Again I did a mistake of just trying to get all the commons, then uncommons as I am sort of a collector and like to all of them, which includes wanting to have all sorts of different Runes in my Battlegroup. But as I have been looking into forums a little and other battlegroups in here, then I found out that people just use multiple same Runes. I find it sort of dull and boring, but still I have been trying to be more strategic with certainly taking Runes who can Heal, have Detection etc - also multiple of the same Runes.

So could anybody give me some Pro tips for total noob, who is never ever going to pay money (unless there is another way to pay, but credit card payment, because damn), even something simple like Anutla gave me, because without him I would still totally get being scammed.

Ta to everybody, who cares to share their wisdom!
    ~Madfox

2. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

what's your goal when you play pox?

3. 19madfox95

I just like to enjoy games and then play them. As I always like to collect stuff in real life and in games, then I try to get my hands on everything I can have, but I thought that finally I should make a goal for myself to be a little better in this game (against humans, because I have played single player campaigns too much and know weaknesses in their coding). I am no try hard gamer, who rages when they lose or quits the game because of that.

4. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

5. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

what i'm reading, which may not be what you're saying, is that you want to get better but not at the expense of an intangible "fun", which is likely to pop up at times when you could learn the most ("this isn't fun" "i just wanna play casual" and so on)

now, (assuming that my read is right, anyhow) this isn't necessarily an impediment to getting better, but i view it as a limiting factor in overall skill just because you get discouraged by your own view of yourself.

also the things gab linked are probably a good place to start, it's kind of awkward to ask someone for general advice when we don't know who you are, what you do, what you really want, all that sort of thing. specifics make for better asks, in my experience (and i'd be happy enough to help with whatever specifics i can)

there's also a thread that st3ck made in the TG forums or whatever they are, the new people forums, as a sort of laid-back tutoring thing. you might wanna look into that

6. Pipster

Pipster I need me some PIE!

You just gotta beast it out bro. Play more, lose more, live more.

Currently you have 25 ranked games played. No matter how much advice you're given, or if you have the best, most meta BG in the game, if you don't have the experience (or just the rare knack or affinity for a strategy game like Pox) you're not going to do well. So have fun while playing those ranked games, don't get angry at the losses, look at each one afterwards and think "Why did I lose that?" "What could I have done to win?" "Where did I make my mistake" and you will ALWAYS find a moment where you really ****ed up and that's what cost you. If you haven't, you're delusional and being biased to yourself, which is the symptom of a poor, emotional player.

Play on!

Dagda likes this.
  7. 19madfox95

Yeah, if I would be emotional player, I would have quit gaming long ago!

Pipster likes this.
  8. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

but yeah. in general, if you want to get better at playing against people, then just start playing against people. notice what your problems are, and ask about how to make them better. some people that play this game will observe you or play against you if you ask them, and then give you advice afterwards as to what you can do better (you can just about always find someone who will do this for free- if someone asks for money or similar, be very sure that their advice is worth it to you)

but yeah. specifics.

Pipster likes this.
  9. Pipster

Bravo! A true fighter.

You may not find this too fun, but I certainly do, is stick to ONE BG or ONE THEME. Find something you like, and stick to it for a good period of time. It takes ages to get "good" at a theme, I'm talking months here. I've been playing Kanen since the revamp happened (a good month and a half?) and I'm still finding out new tricks about them every day. People who flit from BG to BG thinking they can be as competitive with each one are mistaken, and all it will do is mess up how you think and your muscle memory with each BG (things like knowing which two spaces the Kanen Slipped are going to move with manic at the end of the turn)

EDIT: And it's good on your wallet too.

10. 19madfox95

Yeah, I am trying my best to stick to IS, not sure what theme would suit me the best right now, but I am trying out some cheap Dwarfs.

When mentioning the muscle memory, then I am just awful against people as I spam A key to attack champions in game and then after I have done attacking and they aren't dead I find out that they had some spell or something like that cast upon them.

Right now I am messing with this deck and doing sorta good with it, I guess: http://poxbase.com/deck/Cw9cgpckcal...1tcgac7Bs5Xs4Bsfsls4Gs7Hs6Ms4-sPr2vrYe1ye_e16

Pipster likes this.
  11. Pipster

I'm no Ironfist player but that looks good. Even just sticking to a faction and getting used to their faction and font bonus, their spells and relics and how they all work is great. GL!

19madfox95 likes this.
  12. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

Hmm , id take out ankh, don't have enough healing to justify running it

id also take out the Visage of ironfist , its really expensive nora wise and not that good

Other then that looks surprisingly good on a budget :D

19madfox95 likes this.
  13. st3ck

st3ck I need me some PIE!

Nice! The best general advice we could give you is something you already do.

Be calm and patient with the game, look for the learning opportunities. If you are looking to be more competitive (but still casual), With PVP, I'd be happy to play some games with you whenever I am on so we can work your bg and general pvp tactics.

But I'm glad you've stuck around all this time, and your IS bg looks well rounded. There are a few tweaks for efficiency purposes, and a few for flare/power. But a well constructed bg nonetheless

19madfox95 likes this.