The main problem for new people

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elves Rule, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Elves Rule

Elves Rule I need me some PIE!

In my opinion the main problem for new people is figuring out why something happens or doesn't happen, and when things happen, and what that little animation on the screen means. I really am not sure how to fix this, the combat log should but it isn't detailed enough and misses things. But I definitely think it's a problem.

2. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

Just adding more details to the combat log should fix this I believe.

Morfeas likes this.
  3. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Imo even now that the combat log shows only 5% of whats happening it's too confusing.
    I think that in a game like this the only way a combat log could work is dividing it in different tabs:
    1-Runes Used Log (would show only the linked names of runes used by each player)
    2-Effects and Actions Log (here it would display all kind of damage and AP usage)
    3-Events Log (Here it should show summoning/deaths/wasted effect that run out, things like "Skelleton is no longuer chilled" and things like "It's your turn"

To help players track each log there could be tittles like "Turn 23" for example on top of the turn's effects and the time when it was used.

Morfeas likes this.
  4. hfok

hfok I need me some PIE!

Would be good if we have hearthstone's last few cards "history" (see pic below) on a bar so we don't have to fight against new event in combat log.

(Hearthstone example: http://i1.2pcdn.com/node14/image/ga...ad255b784b/20130927021742a0dl9fx3or4b46g1.jpg)

I think we could use this idea and to have a quick glance at what was deployed and you could simply mouse over it (of course it would not show anything that's hidden).

Example of my suggestion (Excuse my ms paint again):
    [​IMG]
    The red and blue shows who's turn used what.
    The arrows are there to simply allow you to scroll a bit earlier.
    (runes in the history bar was randomly taken from a SS so ignore that doesn't match the combat log bit, I hope you guys gets the idea)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  5. Centuros

Centuros Active Member

Several spells say "player rebuked runename" or something to that effect, without giving a link to what the spell just did.
    Which is horrible.

Also "invalid target".

And if you try to attack an invalid target, it gives you a wall of troubleshooting text for some reason.

Etherielin, Qno2 and Morfeas like this.
  6. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Descriptions are wrong too many times.
    Bugs happen too many times.

What is there to understand about a flawed textbook?

7. ykmmmm

ykmmmm Member

i think the main problem for new player is the massive cost of tokens cose they already play with old pro player *cough exept me i suck lol* , with already owner of all (my case) or near all rune at 3 stars

8. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

The combat log is terrible. It also represents a huge area of potential for new players. Unfortunately we went after new players before making the game right for them.

Please sit down at this table and have a meal. (SIT) Oh, we don't have any food sorry, but isn't that some tasty new coolaid?

BurnPyro likes this.
  9. hfok

hfok I need me some PIE!

Not sure if it is me, but your picture isn't loading for me, try using imgur.com instead

10. Hiyashi

Hiyashi I need me some PIE!

Weird stuff. I don't want to sign up there but I guess I can just attatch the file here somehow... there:

While working on the mock up my picture editing software decided to crash and I had to save my progress by making a screenshot and saving it through paint. I don't exactly know why but in that process the quality went into the basement.

Ah well, does that make any sense or is it just as bad as the original? ->
    Silly Photoshop.jpg

[Edit]I know there are inconsistencies present on the picture provided. As stated it was a work in progress and I didn't really manage to put much thought in it before the software crashed. Would you expect a crash while editing text in a program that is supposed to be capable of rendering way more complex things than that? Probably! But I didn't! The main two mistakes that I managed to notice after glancing over it are mixed up > and - signs. > was supposed to be used only for interaction between two or more runes, like a targeting sign while - was just a separator between source and used ability. I guess the whole concept could be slightly improved but eh. Enough edit rambling that people likely won't notice![/Edit]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
    Kampel, Anondylar, Entrepidus and 6 others like this.
  11. hfok

hfok I need me some PIE!

I don't think you need to signup imgur to upload.

Anyways, back to the point:
    I like it a lot actually, it is much better than what it is now.
    I still think that a visual thing like hearthstone is good, but I don't see why both could not co-exsist.

Entrepidus likes this.
  12. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Agreed, plenty of good suggestions in here already. The quickest way to improve the combat log is to cut down how much text there is. It takes so much time to read what happened that it is almost a waste of time to understand. Breaking things down into turns and giving bear bones results would make things better, such as just listing the spell that was cast or the ability that was activated, without any flavor fluff around it.

Entrepidus likes this.
  13. decondor

decondor I need me some PIE!

Combat log should be savable so we can make replay apps :D

14. MovnTarget

MovnTarget Forum Royalty

One of the worst is planar dissonance.

No explanation, just poof 10 lol dmg and loss of ap.

15. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Yo shut up faction destroyer

You're the reason we can't have nice things :(

16. Entrepidus

Entrepidus I need me some PIE!

I'd just like place further emphasis on how incredibly helpful color coding units by owner would be. As a chess enthusiast, I would love me some Pox shorthand with colors.

17. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

That is actually handled at the moment by lifebar colors, but Pox used to have actual unit bases like you would see on a miniature, and those had a shader associated with each player. Admittedly, the blue/red distinction between the lifebars may be hard for someone who is red/green colorblind, but I can't say from experience.

18. Entrepidus

Entrepidus I need me some PIE!

I was speaking in the context of the combat log per the mockup image. I'm aware of the old setup and have my own mockups I'll be dropping at some point.

19. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Ah, sorry, my mistake. Will be cool to see your mockups.