Top 200 - Time Series Edition

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

2. Sokolov

I managed to find a few old data points from 2007-2008. 2012 is when I worked at SOE the second time, and had these reports pulled regularly (plus regular patches), so we have more data there - and see increased volatility as a result.

What we see here is that while there can be volatility, the overall trends tend to hold true, outside of very specific balance things that many of us will recall such as when the Garu Chosen first came out and was considered very OP.

Aside from these blips, we do see that MOST factions, for MOST of its lifetime, tend not to stray very far from a base line (plus or minus 2-3%).

Interestingly, SP didn't seem to be as unpopular as it currently is.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  3. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

What the hell happened in 2012?! Bane Shift's all Ć’ucked up.

edit: nevermind, sok edited his second post to explain it.

kalasle likes this.
  4. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

The reason no one plays SP is moga suck due to having 4 speed without a g'hern. Voils are no longer as strong as other themes like UD fire. Cyclops are not as strong as imps etc...

5. Strings

Strings Devotee of the Blood Owl

Could you place lines on the first graph of expansions and or recent balance revamps/patches?

6. Sokolov

The recent patches won't be very interesting, since they are in that blank spot between 2012 and 2015, but let me see what I can do for the older stuff.

I can't find a source for expansion release dates. If anyone has this, I can insert it.

7. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

I miss the days when SP was all about Fesh + Totem/Lightning storm :(

RedScarlet likes this.
  8. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

I love how you can exactly pinpoint when IS and SL were considered bottom feeder and what happened to the consequent buffing over a 2 year period.

IS is still OP

9. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

SL is still stankie lizzurds.

10. Vorian

Thats because themes like moga get nerfed whenever they become runnable. We have been forced to play meta recently.

11. Sokolov

Except that when SP was most popular, it was basically meta good stuff with things like Voil Infernal being singlehandedly crazy along with damage relics like thunderhead and echo chambers.

12. DaisyDukeNukem

DaisyDukeNukem I need me some PIE!

I would actually think that the 2012 data where you were able to access it regularly shows how volatile the changes are on a month to month basis. Overall they may stay close to the baseline, but were you able to record the changes over time monthly you would see a very variable graph I am sure.

Did DOG at least implement the per game deck/rune reporting for you? It was in the code I handed over (although not the importing into a proper database structure, just the output).

Baskitkase likes this.
  13. Vorian

Yeh you are right. I just want to return to the point where 10% of the 200 was SP. For that themes like hyaenids could be made runnable along with moga.

14. Sokolov

There were more datapoints, but in terms of actual statistical variance I don't see much of an increase even in 2012. Plus it's hard to isolate out impacts of expansions and mid-terms, along with patches there.

15. DaisyDukeNukem

DaisyDukeNukem I need me some PIE!

Well if you want that data (as to dates I mean) I am sure I could extract it from the Wiki for you.

16. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Daisy, ur a real computery guy, huh?

17. Rokkushun

Rokkushun Devotee of the Blood Owl

Wasn't daisy bug fixer when soe was around?

18. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

I asked this back then, will ask again since it wont hurt:
    Can we have this "meta" report be for the top 100?

19. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Yep

20. Sokolov

I can't for the old stuff, but I can for the new stuff.

DarkJello, SPiEkY and Pedeguerra like this.