Understanding My Demon BG

Discussion in 'Underdepths' started by Denton8523, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Denton8523

Denton8523 New Member

http://s24.postimg.org/bd9l9xlnp/demons.png

So recently I decided to make a demon bg. I feel like it's fairly standard with some picks for flavor. I am having issues winning vs. heavily ranged bgs. Recently I have added the second demon shield as a nod towards this, but I feel like it's more my play style than the bg itself.

I would appreciate any help with possible rune upgrades as well as playstyle suggestions.

2. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Without seeing you play it's difficult to crit your play style but I suggest being more aggressive early game and contesting their fonts where possible.

Range thrives when there are lots of champs deployed and it can hide behind tanky champs - you want to force the fight before they get a chance to set up.

3. Denton8523

Denton8523 New Member

4. jvne

jvne Well-Known Member

2x Sacrafice and 2x Mandate from Sheoul is bad as both are for situational use(1x by each should be fine). 1x FR is good for superchamps, or when some majestic unit is feeling too comfortable near your demonvein vampire, 1x Head of Osarius is good cheap way for contesting/taking care of preservence effect, you don't like Grimlic?

5. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

I will say something that may found offensive but I want you to realize something:
    Cropping a screenshot is very easy and playing poxnora is very difficult, but they are alike in that in both your results depend on your dedication.

Kristian Skjold likes this.
  6. Legato

Legato I need me some PIE!

Disagreeing with Jyne. 2x Sac unless you're playing a prohibitive low-cost deck.

7. jvne

jvne Well-Known Member

Is that what you bring to the discussion? I like your constructive criticism.

8. Denton8523

Denton8523 New Member

@GabrielQ: I hear what you're saying. Essentially tough love for "there is no substitution for play experience." I will however mention that since I posted this thread I have had a lot of good feed back and and feel better about the bg. The efficiency alone has much improved. I also think it relevant to mention that it is infinitely more effective to gain experience using a tuned bg than an overcosted one.

@jvne: I definitely see wanting a fading recollection. I hadn't thought about it's utility when dealing with majestic champs. Head of Osarius is a rune I have seen a lot of, but haven't played. I will give it a shot. In regards to Grimlic I had him in the original build but found him to be expensive. I guess it is a preference thing. There seems to be a lot of FS being played and he is pretty bad vs. Drown. I like that my expensive champs are either too large to Drown or have flying.

@Legato: LEGATOOOOOO!!!!!! WHERE YOU BEEEEEEEEEN!!!!!!

9. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

To be fair, I didn't went into bg advice because your bg (the second one you posted) was very good, and it wasn't was the thing holding you back.
    If you like cheap ranged units, you can try goblin archers, they are really strong with encouraged and multi at range 6.
    Also, to change a bit from beaters, beaters and beaters, you could try with a bit more support, you can try hook fiend, deep elf summoner or puppet master (should work perfectly with korona)

10. Denton8523

Denton8523 New Member

@GabrielQ: I decided to take out the Gloombringers for goblin archers. I have liked them a lot more, and can't beat the cheap nora cost.

What are everyone's thoughts to not running voidraker in a meta bg? I have been very unimpressed with them so far. Maybe run just 1x?

Considering losing the demon theme, taking out the DEP and replace with hookfiend, take out the voidrakers and replace with mino battlemage. thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  11. Raikan

Raikan I need me some PIE!

Unless the bg has too many cheap champs, or too few champs overall (like 15 like badgerale runs) there should be 2x sacrifice. This is based largely on worshipping Legato's rare posts...so take it for what his opinion is worth.

Side note: I don't know how badgerale avoids losing most games....15 champs seems like it runs a higher than normal draw, no champ, lose situation. And, end game, you'll run out of champs a lot sooner. But i suppose that's just a skill difference.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  12. jvne

jvne Well-Known Member

I currently run 2x voidrakers, my personal opinion based on my own experience:
    1. They are good for 1st turn rune to deploy and send them to contest enemy font looking for a 1v1 battle, this is situational as it is kind of bad if you are 2nd on turn or it is a 2 font map.
    2. You need them to be supported, I find DEP best for this job. I've been experimenting with puppet master recently(so far I find him a bit slow for my aggressive playstyle, but for a defensive playstyle it may work) Summoner maybe?.
    3. I run full demon BG while you already have 4 non-demon champs, thus logistic life siphon will happen less often for you. As voidrakers are tanky and become stronger over time I think you need some kind of life regen/heal/dmg mitigation to support them. For that I use logistic life siphon/tinder box/masochism/molten cloak.
    4. VERY IMPORTANT: Cleansing voidraker with purefire will cause void shield ability to stop working along with the loss of the already gained resistances.

Basically in order to benefit from them I think you have to commit "resources" to them, if you don't do that I think there are better options for that cost.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  13. only

only Active Member

bug?

14. jvne

jvne Well-Known Member

Probably, haven't tested it on other champs with void shield.

15. Raikan

Raikan I need me some PIE!

I try to run voidraker or fading recollection. Having a confuse ability is very useful. I think Mandate is essential with voidraker, since it will take a while to get 3 demons out even under the best circumstances and you'll probably want healing before then.

16. jvne

jvne Well-Known Member

I agree, initially I was using Mandate as a way of healing the voidraker, but as I run some cheap demon champs I dropped it in favor of masochism.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  17. Denton8523

Denton8523 New Member

I have recently dropped the voidrakers and have found it to be a good decision in this bg. I still love them in my bleed bg but this demon bg has slowly morphed into a meta bg, fairly strongly mino based. The amount of efficient champs is undeniable. I have also found a new affinity towards goblin archer. Quite possibly my new favorite rune haha.

18. jvne

jvne Well-Known Member