Vanilla Mafia

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by PurpleTop, Jun 12, 2014.

1. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

Ok, it's been a few weeks and I'm out of school. Ther has been some time to let the old mafia threads die down and the chaos is managed. I was going to open the floor for a new mafia game, which I will host. This one is going to be very straightforward and vanilla, so that it is friendly to all players, both experienced and new. I really encourage as many people to join as possible, even if you havn't played before. This one is going to be structured very well for new players, in sort of an introductory style :).

So first, I will release the roles.

Roles:
    (hyperlinked)
    Town:
    Cop
    Doctor
    Vigilante
    Commuter
    Tracker
    Roleblocker
    Townie

Mafia:
    Godfather
    Roleblocker
    Role Cop
    Goon

Notes:

Doctor may NOT target self.

In this scenario, Commuter essentially blocks all powers used on him (except of course night kill).

Commuter role trumps Roleblocker Role.

I will note now that any or all of the roles listed above could be use, but that does not necessarily mean that they WILL be used. Normally I would prefer to make all roles on the linked site available to be used, but I want to make this as simple as possible, so what I have listed is the limit of the role pool. There will not be two instances of any of the above roles (Town Roleblocker and Mafia roleblocker count as two seperate instances; there could be one of each), except for goons and townies. I wanted to add some interesting rules, like having a conditional Tree Stump or adding Backups , but I decided against that for this game as like I said, I want it to be as vanilla as possible. Additionally, no roles will be intertwined, meaning no one will have two or more of the powers listed. Each role is given explicitly to one person.

Rules:

This game is CLOSED COMMUNICATION

Goals:
    Town: To eliminate the entire mafia
    Mafia: To eliminate enough town so that the number of remaining town matches the number of remaining mafia

Affiliation Management:
    Town does not know who other town members are, nor who the mafia is. The mafia knows only who the rest of the mafia members are. It is up to the mafia members to discuss who to kill privately and how to tactially use eachothers' roles.

Phases: This game will consist of phases. Th phases will start with Day 0 and continue on with Night 1, Day 1, etc. Night phases will be exactly 24 hours, Day phases will go on until a Hammer vote is reached, or for a maximum of 72 hours.

I posted this thread really early because I do want some feedback on these ideas, and rules are subject to change. Some people may think 72 hours is too long, but my thoughts on this is it's a good way to make people want to push for hammer votes, which I will explain later.

Day Phase:
    Voting: During the day phase, everyone will be allowed to vote for someone they deem as mafia. At the end of the day phase, whoever has the most votes is "lynched", or killed off and taken out of the game, and their role is revealed.
    Hammer Vote: If a single person recieves more than the majority votes, (say, 6 in a 10 person game), then as soon as the vote that gave them that many is made, the Hammer is locked. This means that the day phase ends at that exact moment and night starts. This means that the day phase could be really short if 6 people vote for one person almost immediately.

This adds a bit of strategy to the game that makes the game not only potentially shorter (or longer), but allows players to control what happens in the day a little better. Mafia could use the hammer rule to maybe give themselves away, but still get a day kill off on a high profile target. Similarly, town can use it to their advantage.

Night phase:
    Powers: During the night, any player who has a power may use that power by PMing the Mod (Me) saying "I choose to use my power on: XXX". At the end of th phase, if the power was succesful, the user is given the results of the power, if the power so demands. If a power does not succeed, due to either Commuter or Roleblocker interactions in this case, the user of the power is simply told "Power failed" at the end of the phase.
    Night Kill: Mafia will choose someone each night to kill. If that person is succesfully killed (not protected by the doctor), the target is removed from the game at the end of the night phase and role is revealed.

I would like to get this started as soon as possible. The minimum number of players for this particular design is going to be 8. Of course more are welcome. I will say that I am going on a trip to a Music Festival on Thursday, June 26, and will be camping there until the following monday night. If we get started soon enough we should be able to finish by then, but if not I can leave signups open and we can begin after that. It all depends on how quickly people sign up, so please, recruit!

I think that I touched on everything that I wanted to. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I will be checking this thread as well as my inbox etc. frequently. Everything should be pretty straitforward. Again, i am keeping this as simple as possible for more of an experimental use. If all goes well, the next one I can have some more interesting roles, rules and interaction but for now this is what I have. Signups are open now!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    Yelmo likes this.
  2. PurpleTop

SIGNUPS:

1. darklord48
    2. Loyaute
    3. GabrielQ
    4. Baskitkase
    5. Markoth
    6. tangmcgame
    7. Pedeguerra
    8. Qucas
    9. st3ck
    10. Regulate

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  3. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Stop!

Collaborate and listen

4. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I'm in.

5. PurpleTop

Cool. Thanks for signing up!

6. Loyaute

Loyaute I need me some PIE!

7. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

I'd like to play

8. PurpleTop

Awesome!

9. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

2 things- you say "linked site" but i see no link. if it's there, make it more obvious. if it's not, ???

secondly, i can't play- i won't have time.

also secondly, that color splash in the first post is obnoxious as all hell. also i feel like you were too specific with some of the rules, but hey.

10. PurpleTop

thanks for your input. idk what you are doing that is more important than mafia, but that's not for me to say :p

all of the roles are hyperlinked

I like the colors, thought it would make it easier to read/organize. Guess I was wrong

Also, could you be specific on where I was too specific?

11. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

roadtripping

too many colors in one area makes for confusion rather than highlighting a spot

and

no

12. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Colors are fine. Dagda can stuff it.

I'll play, although I've never played one of these before.

13. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I haven't played one before either.

14. PurpleTop

Cool, that's four. We're half way there! And don't worry.... even if you havn't played one before, this one will be structured pretty simply. Any questions feel free to ask!

15. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

Maybe @Pedeguerra wants to play, he said he wanted to try a while ago.

16. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

I can help administratively as always, I wouldn't be able to commit to a game, especially with my keyboard situation.

17. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

What if I prefer chocolate?

18. PurpleTop

I prefer strawberry.... we all have to make sacrifices

19. tangmcgame

tangmcgame I need me some PIE!

Fine. I'll play with you guys. IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!!!

20. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Sign me in, please.