What are some good cheap cards for UD?

Discussion in 'Underdepths' started by Vaayshan, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Vaayshan

Vaayshan Member

Hello. I was wondering if some more experienced players could tell me some staple UD c/uc/r cards.

Also is caverunner still auto-include?

Thx

2. Raikan

Raikan I need me some PIE!

Minotaur Sentry, Hook fiend, pit dragon, griefbearer, deep elf priestess, deep elf summoner, puppetmaster w/ new buffs, goblin archer, bok raider, nightfall spider, pincushion, imp strangler, minotaur flamecrusher, demonic wag, demon shield, tinder box, molten cloak, sacrifice, retribution, fiery ambush, purefire, fireblast and/or maddening echoes, price of victory, masochism, fading recollection, avenging flame, superiority, head of osarius, orb of protection, banner, lower beast of sheoul is pretty impressive for his cost too, blade of the snake/mandate.

GabrielQ has a budget bg around here somewhere.

Caverunner-runnable, but not auto.

3. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

4. Vaayshan

Vaayshan Member

Thx for the help!

5. Tfguy

Tfguy Devotee of the Blood Owl

Don't forget Bok Mistress.

saromon50 likes this.
  6. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Succubus!

saromon50 likes this.
  7. Vaayshan

Vaayshan Member

Well, I got lucky and opened Korsien in a pack! So now I have 200k poxbox credits and I can buy something good.

If I buy 2x battlemages I will have all the minotaurs except Malandur, I think that's enough to make a decent minotaur deck right? And if im not mistaken the battlemages could easily be used in a ''goodstuff'' deck so im really leaning towards buying them.

On the other hand when I last played soulthirster was a monster and I can finally afford him. Is he still as good or should I buy battlemages?

Or maybe a new card was released that is better than both of them, was there any? I hope you guys can help me out, thx!

8. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

There is no such thing as a "Decent Minotaur bg without Malandur. He is pretty much the glue that makes it viable. Thats why Mino's aren't really viable. Contradiction I know. But the second you deploy Malandur, he gets a target on his back the size of a barn door.

If you want a cheap and effective bg. Try for old school Deep Elfs. Mix in a few Bok like Mistress and you have the start of something wonderful.

9. Scarebear

Scarebear Devotee of the Blood Owl

Imps and spiders are pretty cheap to build now.

10. Raikan

I wouldn't buy battlemages and/or soulthirsters right now. They (and all the other high priced exotics) will be a lot cheaper in a month w/ this new rune forging system. So if you hold off, you'll get more bang for your korsien buck.

11. Burcho

Burcho I need me some PIE!

I disagree with Malandur. I'm not a top player so i can't say how it is in limited, but you don't need him to have a good bg. He does bring a few unique things which will help immensely in some situations (intimidating champs fe).

12. Vaayshan

Vaayshan Member

13. Tfguy

I'd say that is a BG you can easily win a few games with, but you are in need of some detection. I recommend Nefari Griefbearer or Deep Elf Infiltrator. I'd take out a Hook Fiend, one is enough, or the Demon Lich, they are better placed in Fire BGs. I'd consider replacing the Bok Raiders with Nightfall Spiders for their obvious benefits. (Windstriker, Stealth and Shadow Shift)

Summon Borghas is also a bit weird in there, I'd replace it with a Mandate from Sheoul.

But in the end if that BG is something you can work with then that's the right BG for you. It very much depends on your playstyle too what you want to put in there.

14. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

Tfguy advice is good, replace your demon lich with a nefari griefbearer and one of your hook fiend for another support unit, puppet master is a option considering you have korona and bok raiders, or you can use summoners, spiders are fine, but I would replace the lower beast of sheoul or the fanatics before the bok raiders, as they bring good pseudo range. Agree on mandate from sheoul for borghas, I would also take out fading recollection for a second maddening echoes.

15. Calaster

Calaster New Member

16. Tfguy

Looks viable, I'd always replace the Sheoul Demon with a Pit Dragon though. Orb of Protection would be good too.

Things to consider are always Bloodguards and Angels.

17. Raikan

+1 Detect: Griefbearer (alt damage, drudgery, sever summons, relieve), Minotaur Sentry (relics to contest, and great contestor himself), or DE Infiltrator (long range relocate).
    -1 Hookfiend (try it out, but you'll find that at speed 5, you can't afford to put 2 out on the board).
    -1 Demon Lich. You'll be better served by another demonlogist or a goblin archer.
    -1 Borghas (you want at least 2 bomb units for this to be worthwhile, otherwise he's really just their to assist grimlic, which limits when and where it can be used).
    I'd keep bok raiders-they'll help keep your orbs up, initiative 2 and a DEP relocate means you can drop 16+ fire damage pretty much whenever you want...it's like a good spell, and you get a champion left afterwards.
    I might cut demon shield (it's largely wasted on pit dragon or lower beast with their colossal and absorb and your opponent probably won't try to range down your fanatic between his speed and counter attack ranged).
    I'd keep Fading Recollection...it's too expensive to use frequently, but when you do use it, it can be game changing. You can take a aspect of chaos and make it worthless. You can overcome the massive defenses on something like klub w/ spike that your opponent is counting on to keep it up.

18. Vaayshan

Vaayshan Member

Ok, after some trading and browsing through my collection I made the following decks:

Demons: http://poxbase.com/#!/deck/CfVC3Bcpqc60c7GcdFCuIca9C33C31C9Fc3+s6Gs4@s7Fs2ls2Hs86sOsAs1lrAr20e2K

Minotaurs: http://poxbase.com/#!/deck/Cj0c4@c60Ch3Ch1Ch2Ch=Ch4cjVCh0cqs6Gs5zs4@s7Fs2ls2Hs86sOsArAr20e2K

Spiders: http://poxbase.com/#!/deck/C5MCw=cuXC8Kc3VCfXC5yCfBCqys3Vs4@s7Fs2ls2Hs1FsOsAs1lrAr20E1Ue2K

If anyone has any suggestions I would be happy to hear them. I especially feel my demon deck could use some tweaking but I really want to have all demons in there.

And thx for your help everyone, you've been of great help!

19. Burcho

Burcho I need me some PIE!

The mino deck needs dimension doors. I use them almost every turn to get the evasive from it, to contest etc. When you just captured a font, you can place a dimension door on the opposite end and gain a huge burst of speed next turn. Opponents use quite some ap to destroy the doors and if they don't you get great mobility (offensive and defensive). I'd drop at least one infiltrator. Prince Malandur is also an option.

demon bg: 6 large champions seem too much, test to replace a lower beast with goblin archer fe.

20. Raikan

For Demons: If you need extra space for a spell/equip/etc., I'd consider cutting 1 pincushion or 1 succubus. Both perform a similar role in your bg, which is to contest a font for a long time. You may want to make your fire blast into another maddening echoes, or your maddening echoes into another fire blast (2x ME is better than 1x, but if you're having trouble keeping the orb up, 2x fire blast will help w/ that). You'll have to experiment with which one is better for you. Personally, I'd probably cut 1 champ, add a mandate, then change your fire blast to maddening echoes, giving you mandate/superiority to finish champs and reserving your maddening echoes for those times when casting 2x will win you the game. I'd probably use goblin spellkaiser's instead of pincushion/succubus to contest as well. If needed, he can bring extra fire damage to help prop up orb, and he can bring another relocate/hex. He's very versatile overall, relatively hard to kill for a 72 nora champ w/ one w/ nora, and fairly mobile w/ a non-random teleport. All these are just fine tuning suggestions based on my personal preferences. Your bg is very good as is though.