What does sl think of the new bonus as it is now ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by super71, May 3, 2017.

1. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

Considering the SL bonus onl prevents 2 of UDs bonus its fine. I guess if anything would be pushing SL over the top it would be champs like Skywing Imperator.

2. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

To be fair, there are three similar effects going on:

SL bonus: -x damage from champ based sources
    Defense: -x damage from attacks
    Tough: -x damage from all sources

I can see that there are differences between them but there is also a lot of overlap, and 'champ based' isn't entirely unambiguous. It is also better to change the figures on something that is already part of the calculation (def) rather than add another variable.

I can see reasons not to want to use tough or defence, but I don't think super's argument is as dumb as some people are making out.

super71 and Vorian like this.
  3. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- The bonus has over time slipped out of line a bit... SL basically having the old FW issue. FW used to have boon of the undead as like a free faction bonus... that's how SL feels right now. Faction bonus is there..then the basic SL racial of regen and/or tough or high defense. It would be like a large majority of KF champs having "accrue/ready" as like a "flavor" ability in addition to faction bonus.

- Flavor is cool...it just might be overkill at this point. Pox already feels like it's "One turn my champ or lose the game..." but SL makes it feel like " One turn ALL my champ or lose the game...."

super71 likes this.
  4. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

There's a lot more than 3 tho.

There's the IS bonus:
    -x damage from spell sources

There's Hunter: X:
    -x damage from champions with a specific caveat

There's Evasive/Reflexes:
    -x% damage from melee/ranged basic attacks

And so on. And this is only counting defensive ones. Offensive ones are basically similar except in the positive direction.

There is overlap. But there's overlap all over the game. The differences between the overlaps is what makes PoxNora an interesting game. If we only had 1 or 2 effects that interact with anything because we wanted to avoid "overlap" then we'd have a very plain game.

If this is an actual problem, why isn't an argument being made to remove ALL damage modification abilities except DEF and tough? Why is the SL bonus being singled out?

I don't understand an argument that targets one effect when the espoused principle applies to most of the game.

Also keep in mind his argument was not this to start with, his initial argument was that the effect is overpowered when stacked with Defensive Abilities. When that didn't get as much traction as he'd like, he changed it "It's basically Tough, so it's overpowered." When it was pointed out that it isn't as good as Tough, he changed his argument again, this time to "If it's not Tough, then what is it? I don't understand, it's confusing!" When it was explained what the differences are, now he says, "Why should it be different?!"

He basically doesn't have a consistent argument to this issue and is just rolling with the punches. It's hard to put much stock into an argument where the person clearly doesn't have a consistent, logical argument and seems to making stuff up on the spot.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  5. Vorian

Sokolov ever tempted to make a troll Demi God rune with the names of some of the nerf herders on the forum. I mean you could make Trollian the Super. Also are we ever going to get a joke mini set, which has runes like biggest fatty a 3x3? Also when are we going to get Cthulhu as the Firk God?

6. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Did you answer my question or dance around it ? Simple question, what does the sl bonus not stop that tough does ?

What damage is not considered champ damage, would that just be spells and relics and equips ?

You guys are always right I forgot and that is why pox has so many players. Also allowing my lovely forum friends to hurl insults while a mod is on the page just kinda shows why the community will not grow. Most adults don't wanna play with angry little kids.

7. super71

That's literally all i'm saying, were adding unnecessary bloat when we could just simply use one of the abilities already presented in poxnora, with which we have 1000s to choose from. The problem was I posted it, had one of our favorite forum goers posted it most people would agree.

It's called bias

We could have given sl tough 2, defense +2 which makes the most sense, scale armor, reflexes 1 etc. Instead we made a new ability to remove the old one, which works as neither tough or defense, it's unnecessary bloat once again.

8. Vorian

Well you have a point Super. The problem is without the extra defensive abilities how does it match up against the UD bonus which gives +4 damage? Badly. The question is do we remove its other interactions and give SL +3 def? Super do you think Skywing Imperator and stuff like that are pushing SL over the top? I mean SL atm has access to a counter for everything I can think of, and it has all the tools in the poxnora arsenal that I can think of.

With the cycle of Factions its gone from SP being top dog to SL being top dog. The question is which rune is pushing SL to this power level? Do people mind SL being top dog? Can we leave them top dog if people don't, because KF and FS are god mode as well? If you cant beat them join them and play SL.

Faction Strength Atm in my opinion:

1) SL
    2) FS
    3) KF
    3) ST
    5) UD
    5) IS
    7) FW
    7) SP

9. Sokolov

I literally answered you in the post you quoted.

10. Sokolov

You actually did not use any of those terms in your initial complaint. You made this thread because you thought it was overpowered (even though it's actually weaker in the examples you provided). Then you changed it to "inconsistent" then "confusing" and now "unnecessary bloat." These are all different arguments.

And if you meant this, why didn't you say so? Why make us dance around the topic until page 3 before claiming you are "literally" saying something you never actually expressed?

Also, I literally did not agree with him.

It's called persecution complex.

We could have given it Tough (ignoring the fact that it'd certainly be overpowered by being Tough), but keep in mind that faction bonuses are specifically designed to stack with abilities and not interfere with their usage.

Differences in abilities and effects is why games like Pox Nora is interesting, particularly when it comes to faction bonuses which help define a faction. The faction bonus of SL is designed to help them against champions specifically.

It's neither confusing nor inconsistent - in fact, it's exactly how the rest of the game works. Additionally, the specific mechanic here - "takes X less damage" is consistent as well. The only difference is the caveat, which, once again, is a common mechanic.

Now, if we still had the OLD SL bonus, then I could 100% see your complaint, it was inconsistent, required knowledge of attack vs non-attack, used %s that were difficult to calculate, you had to know rounding rules AND most other damage modification abilities didn't work the way it did either.

Thus the change to something more consistent, less buggy and mechanically similar to existing effects.

Braxzee likes this.
  11. super71

I don't think it's overpowered, please stop changing my words. "I believe sl needs a few champs to get looked at. I'm fine with the bonus, but when I see the bonus + tough and then regen or the bonus + dragon flight and like evasive, void shield, scale armor it bothers me."

and again "I agree entirely and I like the flat out -2 damage makes things easier. My only complaint with the new sl bonus is how's it's paired with champs with tough, regen, or other similar defensive abilities."

and again
    "Not at any point did I say everything needs nerfed"

Literally the first page I stated i'm fine with the bonus by itself, but not coupled with things like regen + tough + dragon flight etc.

Still have yet to answer what does it stop that tough does not, very simple question and instead you posted 2 paragraphs of nonsense that still didn't answer my question lol.

Here's my comment stating it makes things overly complicated

"Not even gonna get into this with you guys, the sl bonus should work either as tough does or defense does. Were moving away from percentages to make the game easier, well making the sl bonus work as neither +2 defense or as tough 2 makes things overly complicated for no reason when that's why were going away from %."

Were 3 pages in and you have yet to answer my most basic question, what does tough 2 stop that the sl bonus does not ?

If you had taken the time to read anything I had written you would see that never at any point did I say the sl bonus needs a nerf, I have stated that the bonus when coupled with things like regen, tough, and similar defensive abilities makes it a bit strong.

It does add unnecessary bloat, it does make things inconsistent, and it does make things complicated.

Complication- Sl bonus is neither tough or defense but works similar to both
    Bloat- adding an ability that we don't need when we have thousands of abilities we could have used
    inconsistent- Doesn't work as any other defensive ability in the game, but in theory works as both tough in a way and defense but is it's own ability.

12. super71

I see

ironfist bonus
    hunter
    evasive/reflexes

At what point did you mention the sl bonus ?

13. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

@super71 Your question was answered on the previous page.

14. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

I don't think the SL bonus should be tough 2. No other faction bonus grants an ability, and it would be a big buff when SL is already strong.

I could see it going to 2 def instead, and adding tough 1 to the font bonus to compensate.

15. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

SL bonus works exactly the same way hunter abilities work.

Sandblast is being nerfed, see what the factions like after that.

16. Braxzee

Braxzee I need me some PIE!

Woohoo! I am glad that a FF bonus will not effect on how other champs are designed or abilities being used to stack with that faction. For the record I do not even play SL. I do notice a lot of META has changed to SL which is fine. I also notice I do not encounter other problematic BG's. I just simply do not use my crystal BG as much a I used too. Now I use other ST BG's that can fair better against SL that I was not using in the past due to some other problematic BGS that are not being ran right now. My point it is that the SL bonus seems to be OP, but it is not, and some players are just trying to force their BG to be just as successful against SL " X " BG

17. Sokolov

18. Sokolov

Ok, so I just want to go thru all the stuff in this thread and make sure I have replied to everything basically so discussion can continue!

So there are 3 different aspects to the discussion:
    1. Power Level
    2. Consistency/Confusion
    3. Why Isn't It Tough or DEF?

Power Level

I think I covered this pretty well in the previous post, but generally speaking I don't like laying the blame on the faction bonus unless it's really demonstratable out of line. In this case, it seems like if anything is an issue, it's the combination of defensive abilities that has people concerned and while the bonus of course interacts with that, it isn't the only part, and it also suggests that SL champs that do not have combos of defensive abilities are not considered a problem.

Specifically to the change of the bonus, it has resulted in what is reasonably considered a buff, but there are both buffs/nerfs in the change. It is certainly buffed against chip damage and the number of things it affects. It is nerfed in its defense of larger chunks of DMG (and corresponding any DMG buffs it has no effect on, whereas before it negated ~20% of most DMG buffs as well) and easier calculation.

As mentioned, other things have also changed which I believe also contributes to the power level of SL currently, and some of that stuff is changing, and along with the many other changes that have now "stacked up" in the next patch, I am hesitant to adjust the SL bonus directly in any way until we see how the other changes impact the landscape.

Consistency/Confusion

I honestly don't believe there is a problem here. It is not a new mechanic, it is the same, to me, as adding a new Hunter: X ability or if Resistance: Poison didn't exist and we added it. That said, if there are people who feel it is confusing, do speak up, I'd like to hear your POV.

Why isn't it Tough or DEF?

This is the newest part of the discussion, and the reasons are different for each, so I will address them differently.

For Tough, it's simply out of the question from a design goal standpoint. The vision for faction bonuses is that it is a layer on top of the game that permeates. It should not be designed to not interact. In fact, 2 of the bonuses that get the most complaints from those who use it are FW and IS - and in some part it is because of the way they overlap with functionality that you can already get, and in doing so it diminishes the value to some extent. Meanwhile, most other faction's bonuses compound on the benefits other abilities provide instead.

So that's the major reason honestly, of not using Tough or any specific existing ability. Note that this is different than using an existing mechanic - which it does use.

For DEF, it was actually considered, but rejected. The major component here is balance and also related to the previous point regarding Tough. For it to be "worth" it, it'd have to be something on the order of 4 or 5 DEF. This would mean that you end up seeing everything in SL being at least 5 DEF probably - which may not be overpowered per se, but you can always imagine the complaints - and I think those complaints WOULD be valid - as a number of decks/themes would absolutely have extreme trouble dealing with that.

Additionally, some decks would have no issues with that whatsoever. And while it is of course true that decks have different strengths to each other, I didn't want a faction bonus to so dramatically define that. The current SL bonus is designed to have a smaller impact on average and simply be more consistent in terms of behavior and expectation within a game.

super71 likes this.
  19. super71

Thank you very much, I never said the sl bonus needed nerfed as I actually like it, I said the bonus in combo with certain defensive abilities can cause problems.

The confusion isn't going to be for long time players, as i've always said we will get new people asking how it works and why it doesn't work like tough and defense. My views are always from a new player perspective, I could careless would the veterans of this game say or think.

I actually brought this up because a friend of mine wanted to play and was overwhelmed by the amount of abilities in the game. This cleared pretty much everything up for me though.

20. Sokolov

I believe you are wrong in this case - I don't think it's confusing at all and no new player would ask that because they are confused.

They might ask, out of curiosity, but not out of confusion. Because the difference is not confusing.

Now, if both abilities read, "Champions take 1 less damage." But they worked differently, or something more similar, then sure, there's now confusion because the text does not show a difference. Or maybe Tough read, "Champions take 1 less damage" and the SL bonus says, "The first damage from each source is reduced by 1." Then it's confusing, because the abilities read completely differently, yet parse as the same. But if it's written in 2 dramatically different ways... then one would assume a difference?

~

And honestly, if SL bonus vs Tough confuses them, then MOST of the game will and I don't think there's a way to make the game not confuse that particular person without losing the entire soul of PoxNora.

~

At the same time, you might BELIEVE you are looking at it from the perspective of a new player, but I will tell you that it is incredibly hard to actually do so accurately - you can't just shed your knowledge/experience/assumptions/preconceptions. Professionally, developers spend money on a regular basis getting genuine new player feedback because it almost ALWAYS surprises you. In general, I find players (and developers) often want to argue about their own concerns using new players as a lever and it's logical to think so but usually it's theoretical rather than actual - the primary reason being that new players just think about the game very differently, and often will have already decided to keep trying or quit before they encounter the issues veteran players identify as a concern. It doesn't mean it affects ZERO new players, but it's usually a much smaller impact than they like to believe as most issues identified by veterans are much farther down on the new user funnel.

Lastly, yes, the game is overwhelming. I have been working for the last 2 years to make it less overwhelming without losing depth.