What is up with ranked?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alakhami, Feb 18, 2015.

1. devilsrath

devilsrath I need me some PIE!

This pretty much sums up why it is a bad idea.

BurnPyro likes this.
  2. Poxbrothers

Poxbrothers Devotee of the Blood Owl

That works, but you could still have live ranks within that system, to see how well you are doing so far.

It just would only become "set in stone" at the moment of the reset.

3. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

So this would basically cut the playerbase by a ridiculously large amount for 5-6 days of the week and see a large amount on the 7th. Someone needs to explain this to me because I don't see how that's a good idea in the slightest.

BurnPyro likes this.
  4. heroex7777

heroex7777 Lord of ST

rank 1, blue medal, rank 2-10 gold medal 11-25 silver, 26-100, bronze. profile stackable. I'd play that.

5. heroex7777

heroex7777 Lord of ST

so every week it'd update the front page ranking but when you click solo rankings it'll show the real, updated rankings daily/hourly?

6. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Your rank would update live in the moment or daily whatever they decide. The icon that appears next to your name in client is set in stone for a week and is determined by the previous weeks rank at the time of the check.

7. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

But whats the point? How is that better than daily or instant rank updates?

8. Poxbrothers

You play at the start of the season too, but if you want to play more fun comps, or test out some new things to see how they keep up competitively you can without being punished for it too hard.
    You still play to maintain a certain kind of rank, but the last one or two days you will want to play full on and go all bad ass with the best BG you can come up with.

To be clear: I still want rank to update instantly with this, but the reward is only given at the end of the week so it has more meaning.

I hope that makes it a bit more clear?

EDIT: in WoW stats are important, would there be a way to:
    Reset winratio, lose all rank but keep experience (so you can reset but it will be hard to gain the same lvl again).

9. heroex7777

heroex7777 Lord of ST

Well, whatever you decide to do with the ranking system, here are a few things I think should be implemented in some way.

DoW rewards
    Scaling DoW points
    Rank rewards
    Scaling gold rank reward per game
    Not punishing someone for playing more
    Rewarding someone for playing more
    Profile medals for rank
    Not basing it on if someone gets better from what they are, but simply whose the best player and wins the most
    Transparent updates on rank/exp per game

In case you missed it, this person a few ranks above me played their last 25 games over the past 5 days with a 17/8 winrate while I went 22/3 in the past 2 days. This is broken.

I lost a game just now and I don't even wanna play the rest of the day already because I know i'm fk'd no matter what rankwise.

10. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

It isn't better or worse it includes it. Your rank would change up and down every day. Hopefully live but if not then daily like it is now. People would be competing for their icons in the next week though. Lets say you "win" Pox Battlemaster one week. The next day TinyDragon goes 5-0 and overtakes you. If you look at the ranked ladder Tiny will be at the top and you being the competitive person that you are say hell no and fight to take it back because you want to hold onto that pretty blue icon.

Poxbrothers likes this.
  11. Poxbrothers

You got it!

12. devilsrath

devilsrath I need me some PIE!

I might be missing the point here. But the only reasons to gain experience is for the #1 title, the deep blue name, the hysteria. We have the DOW for what you're suggesting. Make DOW take less time to complete or something, because with the current system and playerbase it takes months.

13. heroex7777

heroex7777 Lord of ST

yea, and higher ranks should get more points per game

14. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Beating higher ranks should get more points*

Maybe Battlemaster should generate twice as many DoW points? Would incentive the Battlemaster to play as many games as he can if his or her side is behind.

15. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

There are a lot of reasons why real time rank updates don't make any sense.
    1. It is technically insane to run a sorting algorithm over and over hundred of times for very little change
    2. After most games, NO ONE will change ranks, but you have to run it after every game anyway
    3. After each game, you are running a database intensive function on the user table to MAYBE change one person's rank
    4. Remember that ranks are about relative ratings, changing it more frequently isn't really going to change anything
      • i.e. if the ranks changed every hour, or every 24, at the end of that 24 hours, your rank would be exactly the same whether it had updated once, or 24 times, or 240
    I can list lots of games who allow players to constantly change Experience/Rating, but only give out real rankings periodically.
    • League of Legends does this (tho they have a League system on top of their Rating - which is functionally very different than the Ranks Pox is currently using), there is only one #1 (World Champion) team each Season, and you can't be that team throughout the season
      • Note how League does that league system, where you are only "ranked" within your instance of a subdivision of a league, allowing them to update your rank within that league fairly easily, and this rank is basically meaningless, and your goal isn't to be come #1 in Silver III, but rather to get out of there and be promoted
    • World of Tanks actually doesn't do "ranks" per se, but allows you to sort via various metrics on various timelines.(http://worldoftanks.com/leaderboard/clans/#wot&lb_tr=all&lb_of=efficiency&lb_cd=2015-2-17)
      • This is something we could do as well, which would allow "real time" ranking updates except that it couldn't be displayed in the client, only on a webform that happens to number the columns
    • However, they give out rewards to the "top clans" in order after every campaign ends, there is an ordered list for points during the campaign, but it isn't a "rank" listed in the game for players to see, it is just a webform that is numbered
    • Many games have rankings for leaderboards and the like (too many to list)
      • These are also somewhat different in that each new entry is added to a ranked list, and does not require a resorting of items all over the place
      • These are usually segmented into All-time, weekly, monthly, etc.
    • Clash of Clans do ranked based stuff, but again, their "updates" are a functional numbered list, and not "real ranks"
    • There are also games like SolForge which don't have a ranking system at all
    Most games who "ranks" updates constantly aren't ranking players at all. They are just sorting a web list based on an a value, and then letting the web table sort it into an ordered list.

Games that show a rank inside the game client typically will not update it continuously.

But anyway, this entire problem of ranks and ratings is why many games with larger populations have moved to League based systems, so they can get away from some of these problems inherent to ranking players and give players a sense of progression.

Please also this post for a better explanation of DB-based Ranks like PoxNora has (so we can display it for any individual at any time) vs List-Based Number List Ranks like many of the other games use:
    http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/what-is-up-with-ranked.11611/page-6#post-164111

~

Typing this tho, I do realize that part of the problem here is that people don't see/feel the changes in Experience on a per game basis, thus currently, the daily rank change IS the manifestation of it.

Thus, what I am saying is that when you DO see the Experience change on a per game basis, and understand that you are gaining and losing those points, it might change how you view ranks because it won't be the most direct manifestation of your per game experience.

And no matter how often real ranks get updated, we can list the EXP value in a sorted list so that you can see the "current" ranking for whatever that's worth. But updating the client number means setting that number in stone.

Also, don't think just because I mentioned it here it's happening. I mention it because it is something that's been discussed and, as always, I welcome feedback on these sort of proposals.

~

To put it another way, I don't think people who say "update ranks more" are asking specifically for rank updates (because as I said, it wouldn't actually DO anything in the vast majority of cases). What I believe people are asking for is more visible progress for what they are earning/losing - which is where the real time EXP comes in.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  16. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

What if we do rankings like LoL. What would the Pros/Cons be from your perspective.

17. heroex7777

heroex7777 Lord of ST

https://www.poxnora.com/rankings/front.do?o=0&d=1

so what you're saying is that hypothetically, yesterday if ranks updated per game, after each of my 15 games I would see for 15-0 won games, +0 exp +0 exp +0 exp +0 exp +0 exp +0 exp +0 exp +0 exp +0 exp +1 exp +0 exp +0 exp +0 exp +0 exp +0 exp +0 exp +0 exp +0 exp?

that doesnt make me feel better

if i win i wanna feel like i won.

having someone else go 10-5 win/lose +5 +5 +5 +5 +5 -1 -1 +5 -1 +5 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 +5 doesn't make me feel like i won.

18. Sokolov

That is not what I said at all.

But if we did update your rank after every game and showed it...

then yea.

It'd be +0 Ranks +0 Ranks +0 Ranks +0 Ranks +0 Ranks +0 Ranks +0 Ranks +0 Ranks +0 Ranks +0 Ranks, etc.

19. heroex7777

heroex7777 Lord of ST

well crap. you can see how this is frustrating right? I literally played 15 games and won every single game in about 4 hours over a span of one day and gained 1 exp and 1 rank

while someone else plays 25 games over 5 days, loses 8 of them and passes me in rank

not +0 rank, +0 exp. How can winning a game be worth nothing? Maybe halfgodx gave me that 1 exp and everyone else gave me nothing?

20. Sokolov

Again, you have to recognize that EVERYONE is playing by the same rules. If it was super easy for you to gain rank, it'd be super easy for everyone else to gain rank, and the end result wouldn't be any different.