What is up with ranked?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alakhami, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I NEVER said you get 0 EXP a game. Where are you getting this?

2. Sokolov

If RANKS updated after every game, it'd showed +0 Ranks almost all the time.

3. heroex7777

heroex7777 Lord of ST

well then the rules are bad.
    https://www.poxnora.com/account/matchhistory.do?i=4592664&fb=

Play less, play worse, get a higher rank.

Because from yesterday to today, I gained 1 experience from playing 15 games. I literally wrote down the number yesterday to see the difference. I thought 15-0 would mean something.

4. Sokolov

I don't even know what you are talking about anymore.

I've explained exactly how it works.

You have to ACTUALLY PERFORM BETTER than your Rating/Experience says you should, to gain Rating/Experience.

Playing worse will NOT do it.

5. heroex7777

heroex7777 Lord of ST

6. Sokolov

That is mathematically impossible, but we will have the per-game updates in soon, so we'll see if this is actually true. You aren't the only one who claims to have gotten an impossibly low amount of EXP from games.

7. heroex7777

heroex7777 Lord of ST

impossible math is frustrating.

8. heroex7777

heroex7777 Lord of ST

my win rate says 62% my actual winrate on a day to day basis is about 85%
    cydna has a 62% winrate, is actually winning at around 62% and exp is shooting through the roof

i dont math it.

better change the term "ranked" to "most improved, but not really"

9. heroex7777

heroex7777 Lord of ST

If I'm impossibly godly and have an absolute 100% winrate, this means I can't improve and that my rank will stay the same or get worse?

Whereas the rare league new player who has a 30% winrate and actually gets better over time becomes battlemaster?

this is exagerated but you get the point of why performance based on your own performance doesn't work, it should be based on performance of everyone as a whole.

10. Sokolov

If you perform better than expected, you will gain Experience.

As you gain Experience, your expectations increase.

So no, you can't become Battlemaster with a 30% WR.

Not unless everyone else is worse.

It is 100% based on performance vs everyone else.

11. heroex7777

heroex7777 Lord of ST

12. Sokolov

Since I don't know what your EXP and his EXP was before and after some date/games, there is nothing I can discern from that.

13. Sokolov

Since you don't seem to understand how it works... let me try again.

When the rare league wins a game, his EXP goes up. It will continue to do this as long as he is performing better than expected.

However, as his EXP increases, it'll be harder and harder to gain points. Just like it is difficult for top ranked players to do so, because they are already top ranked.

This is a RELATIVE system that is based on actual performance vs expected performance on a PER MATCH basis.

Rankings, on the other hand, are simply a list of everyone, based on their EXP values. Updating the number/logo in the client 240 times a day, 24 times a day, or once a day really isn't going to change who the top ranked players are at all in the vast majority of cases.

14. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

BurnPyro likes this.
  15. Sokolov

I answered it in the big reply to @h0spy , but I wanted to answer this specifically.

So the way we rank players, which allows us to display a rank in the client, is a DB-entry rank.

It does this by using a script that goes thru everyone's EXP values and sorts them, then writes into each player's profile their rank.

So anyone who knows programming will see why updating this instantly is not exactly a trivial thing to do, especially since we'd want it to dynamically update in the client.

~

Another way to display "ranks" is to utilize tables. Instead of having a DB-entry showing a rank, we simply give a list of players and their EXP value, and let the table sort it. The table can have, fairly easy, a list of numbers.

For me, this isn't a real rank. This is just displaying a list. You can theoretically sort this by name, faction, or whatever else we provide in the dataset, and get a new "rank." This is because the table isn't assigning the numbers to anyone in particular, but just numbering the ROWs the player happens to occupy.

Notice how in this WOT table, which is done in this manner, you have "ranks" but when you change the sorting to another column, the "ranks" can change:
    upload_2015-2-18_21-13-2.png

upload_2015-2-18_21-13-20.png

I want to be very clear here that none of these clans have these ranks in a retrievable way. You can't view a clan and see what their "rank" is in any of these categories. You can only see it thru these tables.

~

Notice on Pox's table, changing the sort doesn't change the ranks:

upload_2015-2-18_21-12-27.png

~

So when I say update the ranks once a week, I am indeed talking about the in-game numbers and icons.

And we can change the web to display "rank" as table numbering instead, which would give "real time ranking" in that sense, but isn't really true rank IMO, though it would probably serve the purpose for some people.

But updating real time in-game is very tricky. If anyone knows of a game that does it real time in-game that isn't just a tabled listing, I'd be interested in investigating it to see it works.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  16. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

Wait, how do you make the distinction?

You don't have fun when winning?

What is wrong with you?

17. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

1: I make the distinction based on whether or not I feel like the game was fun.

2: Most of the time, no.

3: Lack of liquorice whips and Snapple I presume.

18. heroex7777

heroex7777 Lord of ST

What I'm asking is why is more expected from me than cydna?

Why can he/she get rank 7 with the performance that he/she had when I'm at rank 11 with my performance? Since the expansion hit, my win rate has been relatively the same which means that I have not been improving. That being said, my win rate is really high. It's around 85%. Why can someone with a 60% winrate who improves up to 70% pass me? 70 > 85?

Is this why tiny's consistently good performance is stopping him from even getting close to the top 10 ranks?

Do you give the fat kid who did a mile in 20 minutes an A+ for doing it in 15 minutes the second time and give the athlete a C for doing a mile in 10 minute the first time and the second time?

19. devilsrath

devilsrath I need me some PIE!

The whole weekly update thing still sounds like a mini drums of war- I would prefer it if you utilized the drums of war system this way but still make day-to-day ranks update faster.

Currently if you log out after a rank update, and log back in it displays your new rank. So if ranks were to update every hour, all I would have to do is re-log/re-fresh the home-page and boom i'm a new rank. How difficult would it be to make ranks update every hour?

BurnPyro likes this.
  20. Flyingfinn

Flyingfinn I need me some PIE!

Make me wait a week for rank update? Uninstalling Pox.

BurnPyro likes this.