You didn't watch the presidential debate last night

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BurnPyro, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

DarkJello likes this.
  2. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

Cenk nailed all the big points. Best vid I have ever seen him release.

He slipped in a range of inaccurate barbs against Trump, but nobody is perfect.

Great share BP!!

3. DarkJello

Exactly correct!! Trump is a stronK alpha male.

As a master persuader, Trump almost always says the "right" thing in the "right" way at the "right" time. This skill has nothing to do with morality. And this skill does NOT mean that El Donaldo's plans are better than Hillary's. As moist robots, almost each of us is much more susceptible to persuasion than she/he is able/willing to admit. HRC strikes me as a very strong persuader as well. This skill has made her very rich and powerful and famous too. Both are infallible, and yet they have crazy fantastic histories of winning over and over.

4. DarkJello

5. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Does it bother you that the study on which the Alpha beta etc male theory has been disproven?

basically if you crudely shove wolves that are unfamiliar with eachother into an enclosure conflict arises. You want to base your entire view of soceity and psychology on wolf prison rules?

( I think we should focus on wolf rehabilitation and release them back into the wild, current wolf prison is a for profit system in which most wolves have no means of parole and the focus is on entertainment and education of visitors.)

DarkJello likes this.
  6. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

The difference here is that these protesters already have the right to arm themselves. They just dont have the guts.

DarkJello likes this.
  7. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

I think the biggest change most likely to happen is how super delegates work during the primary process. The dnc will need to do something to keep the Bernie supporters who surely feel cheated as a result of how the delegates were stacked in Hilary's favor.

The counter argument is that super delegates give the party the ability to prevent a trump type candidate from winning the primary. But that's a self defeating argument considering the results of this election. By ceding that control you open the process to a more democratic result and are more responsive to an electorate you might not otherwise be focused on.

The republican establishment was just as unaware of the populist ground swell as the democrat estsblishnent. But the republican primary system was more responsive to it because their super delegates had less influence on the outcome.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    DarkJello likes this.
  8. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

It's a good point about the super delegate thing, I guess it was meant to reign in the excesses of a partisan audience and therefore ensure the candidate had mainstream appeal.

In this case it seems like it has had the opposite effect by suppressing a candidate more in line with the spirit of the time in favour of one who was against it (ok, it didn't matter in the end, but it was still working that way).

Of course, we don't know how it would have gone if Sanders had been the candidate -- from what i see of america politics I'd guess that Trump/the right would have very heavily pushed an image of him as a communist.

I also think that (in the UK at least, but maybe the US too) the left does not actually have the same kind of untapped support as the radical right does. The left has very vocal, unashamed, and enfranchised support but not numbers.

DarkJello likes this.
  9. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

The left has minorities, celebrities and the media "in the bag" which is fairly important as the first is always growing, the 2nd has large influence (though they shouldn't) and the last determines flow of information/misinformation.

SPiEkY, DarkJello and Saandro like this.
  10. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Uh, how exactly is the media in the lefts bag? I always considered American media to be very right leaning.

In this specific election, Clinton might have had an edge in how most media (good thing Fox news lights our way still) talked about her, because she was running against Trump and because she's, well, a Clinton.

In general, I don't find the media to be particularly left leaning. Could you elaborate on this?

11. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

if they consider the news left leaning imagine how far to the right american soceity is slanted.

Boozha and BurnPyro like this.
  12. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I guess the British situation is a little different since print media is much more important and is overwhelmingly right wing. TV media is regulated to be neutral but in practice I think does lean very slightly to the left.

I was doing some googling on US media bias and the consensus seems to be that the majority of news sources are somewhat left wing (by US averages), but that those that are right wing are very right wing. So I guess you could look at it as left biased as a whole in terms of numbers, but that in terms of the degree of bias it is more balanced. Of course, this depends on what you consider 'the centre'.

DarkJello likes this.
  13. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

It's really the case. By objective, that is historical and international, standards, what the US calls left is center-right, generally.

14. Gaverion

Gaverion I need me some PIE!

A phrase that often comes to mind, "the truth has a liberal bias"

15. DarkJello

It would seem, surprisingly, that you are being honest here. Gobsmacked!!!

It is self-evident that media is totally dominated by Lefties, even here in MuriKa.

Back to protesters and rioters and such. Yet another gem by Scott Adams follows:

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/153172272041/how-to-break-an-illusion

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  16. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Noam Chomsky predicted the rise of (someone like) Trump 6 years ago

17. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I dont even know even see how I would nit be honest or how that matters.

Also "self-evident" is a very dangerous word to use on online forums. please elaborate

18. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

if you are on the north pole everything else is south of you.

DarkJello is basically a pole.

19. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Poles don't deserve to be insulted like this

Comissar and Geressen like this.
  20. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Poles are keeping this country from falling apart......

Wait for it

....... zing