Angel spam

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by negatorxx, Feb 5, 2015.

1. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

What did you think of my idea of reducing their range and only giving them flight after intensify ?

2. Mightycheeser

Mightycheeser New Member

been reading this, was thinking of maybe getting an angel for one of my bgs but with a nerf in the pipeline not so sure.
    Just wanted to say to the guy above if you take away flying before intense then they are really no longer angels at all. would work gameplay wise i guess... but an angel that cant fly?? maybe it should lose its wings for the intensify... anyhow disagree. Should incorporate what the runes are image wise too as well as GP an angel that can't fly.... smh

3. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

I think its kinda a cool idea actually maybe they aren't angels yet but when they intensify they become angels with wings. The reason i said get rid of flight until then intensify is because if it isn't done they will be nerfed to hard and won't be ran anymore. I especially like the idea if they did the art so the runes weren't angels at first and then showed them get wings after.

4. Poxjedi

Poxjedi I need me some PIE!

One last point & i'm done. A chess player does not complain that a bishop is more powerful than a pawn. When you play the game you accept that some pieces are more valuable than others.

5. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

This isn't Chess.

SPiEkY likes this.
  6. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

7. Poxjedi

Poxjedi I need me some PIE!

no shizer, it was an analogy but the concept is still the same. Farbeit from me to convince you that it's unrealistic to want each rune to be equal.

8. Emries

Emries Devotee of the Blood Owl

I hear these things about ranged angels but I play SL so I'm lost :p

9. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

That's a dumb analogy. Chess is static, the rules do not change, and chess is symmetric. Both players have the same pieces under their control at the start of a game.

A comparison of an aspect of a symmetric game with an aspect of an asymmetric game is worthless. It proves nothing. It's just noise.

10. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

That's because you cant. Harbs don't have unique ID's meaning that you can only run 2 per bg.

SPiEkY likes this.
  11. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

They even used to be the same ID as doomballs, so you couldn't run more that 2 total of either.

12. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

In defense of the FS Angel's uniqueness, Lifegiver was in another faction, and most would just as soon forget that Glowing Slider even exists (and it's not ranged anyway). Plus both Coral Creeper and Kartch lost their transfer/sustain abilities with the revamp.

Pull has also always been a bit unique, though I suppose you could argue it's just a fancy Relocate: Enemy.

In any event, the "problem" seems to be with the ease of contesting combined with the Heal/Cleanse of Intensify. If it was just the range and SPD by itself, I think we'd see a lot more Harbs (and a lot more associated complaints). Heck, I think we'd see more complaints about Faeries, or even Boghoppers and the like. So without the sturdiness that Intensify offers through the DEF buff and heal I think it'd be a lot less of an issue.

Perhaps the best approach then is to hit that healing aspect of it? Though certainly keeping it and hitting the SPD of the Angels themselves is also an alternative.

13. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

We'd see more harbs if they were more common, they're easily top-tier champs.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    mw24, Xirone, Sealer0 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

I agree that's part of it, but we're also talking top 200, a lot (not all by any means) have the dedication to be able to get Harbs if they wanted.

Personally, I think there's a problem with at least FS Angels if my starting point for almost every FS BG is: "Okay, two Angels, what kind of deck do I want to build again?" I don't have Harbs, but even if I did I don't think I'd get into a similar mentality.

I just think that, to me, it seems clear that the issue is with the specific combination of efficiency, and being such a strong early-game play due to SPD/Intensify combined. While Harbs are strong, and that may need to be looked at because of availability, I think they are far less of an issue in terms of overall balance.

Missed this comment before. The thing is, Pawns are "cheaper" than Bishops. You can have 4x the Pawns for every Bishop you run. Not only that, but Pawns aren't so much less powerful as just "slower" than Bishops. Pawns can still kill any piece in their range (and Pawns can switch the color of their tile, so in many ways they are less limited than Bishops), and, if you manage to hold onto them, you can even make them into far more useful pieces than Bishops. Pawns are still an excellent piece in chess, even if they don't have the same speed as Bishops.

I get that not all cards need to be equally good. Especially in a game like this with SO MANY of them. However, that's no reason to not try and make them equally useful relative to cost, if you're still going to look at them anyway.

On a related note: I understand the concern with overnerfing. Certainly I think they did that with Aquatics. However, there's no guarantee that will be the result. And if something is broken, it should be fixed. Being worried that they'll break it further is understandable, but that's no reason to not give it a bash. It would be far more productive to offer nerfs that would address the perceived issue while avoiding an overnerf than to say: "don't touch it at all!" Because it really isn't better for something to be Overpowered than Underpowered.

15. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

poor betchz

SPiEkY likes this.
  16. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

Bad argument. The chess system is different. You get all the pieces already on the board. Here, you pay a cost according to each rune's value. And the complaint here is that the Angels offer too much while costing too little.

You simply liked having a lot of goodness at a very cheap price. You could try coming up with arguments to justify how something that is over the top is still ok for the game, OR you could stop for a moment and think what exactly you liked the most about angels and then try to search for it in a balanced form. Was it the power? The speed? The utility, pressuring capability? The self heal? Etc. .

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
    Ohmin and RedScarlet like this.
  17. Mightycheeser

Mightycheeser New Member

Touche' didnt think of it that way, I like it

MEATMAN likes this.
  18. Mightycheeser

Mightycheeser New Member

People comparing to chess hehe. Atm its like Angels are Knights but they using a pawns square on the board while non angel users have their front row as pawns the same.

tbh you could make a million similies comparing it to chess, kinda pointless

19. avichaif

avichaif Devotee of the Blood Owl

Intensify = 12 nora?
    just change it to 25 or 30 and shoebox them, like u did to doom's and a lot of other leg champs

20. RedScarlet

RedScarlet I need me some PIE!

1) Remove Intensify, buff angels' base stats to similar costs but reduce SPD to 6
    OR
    2) You can just raise Intensify up to say, 30-40 nora, and the angels won't see play
    OR
    3) You can modify Intensify but the goal is to keep the angels' costs the same as the current angels

An idea:

Remove flight [-6 Nora]
    Remove 1 SPD [-7 Nora]
    Remove old Intensify [-12 Nora]
    Add new Intensify [25 Nora]

[Intensify - After being in play for 6 turns, this champion is healed for 15HP and gets Flight, +1SPD, +1MAX RNG, +2DMG permanently.]

(flight +6nora) + (spd +7nora) + (2DMG +4nora) + (1MAXRNG +8nora)= TOTAL 25 nora.

Q: Why should the new Intensify have an accumulated cost of every one of its benefits without DISCOUNTING for the 'I have to wait for 6 turns' clause?
    A: Just think of it being covered by the 15HP heal. Not significant enough for you to font-gib or font-stall, but still giving out a threat, healing from 1-2 hits.