PoxNora imProvement Projects #1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, May 12, 2015.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

It is difficult. Which is why it's even MORE difficult to attempt to make a SYSTEM by which to do this.

I am going to add the Mysian Lamia example I went through to the first post so people can see how this process is done on an individual champ.

2. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

Hekatian Bloodguard

7 Dam 6 Spd 1 Rng 1 Def 40 HP
    Very low stats yet 88 nora mainly because of 35 for a pet. I think this particular rune is WAY over costed and should be adjusted. She obviously can't survive in melee with a 1 range and can't function as a utility champ without attacking. If she kept her stats but went to even a 3-4 range or something of the sort, she would be playable. I want her to keep the pet, and with as much summoned hate that there is out there now, no reason why that ability couldn't be lowered to 25 or lower at this stage. Either way, she desperately needs to be fixed.

Defiler Knight (even though he doesn't technically meet your requirements)

8 Dam 6 Spd 1 Rng 2 Def 48 HP
    Again, another piece suffering from a way over costed ability, cast: ghostly visage (30 nora)
    This champ is supposed to be a 2x2 MELEE FIGHTER and instead is a joke. 8 damage is laughable, 1 range is crappy
    and 48 HP is at least 10 short of where he should be but continues to get ignored because of a 30 nora sandbag.
    Cast:ghostly visage is cool, and makes him very interesting, but at his cost (89 nora) he is way unplayable.
    C:GV should be 15 nora MAX and his stats should be raised to compensate then he would see play like he used to.

mw24 and Thbigchief like this.
  3. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Do you think her pet is overcosted compared to other pets? Would you take a reduction in the pet's effectiveness so that its cost can come down?

4. zumaxbr

zumaxbr The King of Potatoes

Plains savage is very expensive...

5. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

well, what would her cost be if she went to say 2-4 or 3-4 range vs range 1?
    And yes, I suppose a pet reduction would be ok if we could get her <80 nora
    But, the pet may very well be overcosted because it is summoned in with only 30 hp....this only 5 nora less than pet lerper (queen anaru) which has full hp and is 40...dont think it would harm either of them to lower their pet outright by 5-10 nora...again, much more summoned hate and pet restrictions than there used to be.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  6. Faust

Faust Devotee of the Blood Owl

77 nora Draksar Archer vs that CANNON.... come on....

7. Rapidice

Rapidice I need me some PIE!

I want to make a short analysis on Dwarven engineer:

Dwarven engineer costs 84 nora with Boost 3 and Mason 1 (most common build).
    40 HP, 0 Def, helpless. (He screams "Hit me!")
    He pays 40 nora for Summon:Groble Piledriver, the actual champion costs 60 nora. It's summon efficiency is 1.5 (60/40) Champion nora/summon nora ratio.
    To compare, Fleshweaver Witch pays 10 nora to summon Festering Corpse (47 nora). It's summon efficiency is 4.7.

You can say he Engineer can boost and tough it's own summopn. Then that should be addressed in the cost of Boost and Build'em Tough abilities, not charged to the actual summon ability.
    Streamline summon abilities to be a % of the actual champion cost.
    What I wanted to point, it's the flawl in the design here. If it's summons are too strong because he can Boost them, then address boost. Look what happens if you remove Boost 3 from this champion; he will be shoeboxed beyond oblivion. He only sees play because it's the only source of Boost 3 in the theme.

I want to repeat this, if it wasn't clear. 40 NORA for summon:groble!!!!! Explain this.

8. kiblack

kiblack Member

I wanted to ask if muck dragon has been discussed yet.

60 hp,3 defence, poison aura 3, choking aura,54 nora?

9. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

It has, there is a 10 nora manual modifier that Sok intends to remove.

kiblack likes this.
  10. kiblack

kiblack Member

thankyou bro

darklord48 likes this.
  11. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

/sigh.
    This is turning into a buff shoebox thread - people arent grasping the concept of improving Pox by making the costs more realistic. Instead, they are just asking for stuff to be cheaper, because in this meta right now its either "too efficient" or "shoebox".
    You guys.

BroWatchThis and SPiEkY like this.
  12. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- Yeah inevitable this happens in the process, hopefully that's what sok will sort through and give priority to champions that qualify.

- I am just concerned about design space always....

Specifically :
    How to make a champion have various interesting abilities and not cost a prohibitive amount of nora
    and
    How to make a vanilla champion with very few abilities and not be over-efficient and meta shifting as a result.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
    sassquatch, ChiaoLung and soulmilk like this.
  13. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

I think this is exactly the point of this thread that people are missing. You got it, though.

sassquatch likes this.
  14. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

Why aren't champs nora costs divisible by 5 like spells?

15. Raikan

Raikan I need me some PIE!

Hyaenid Bulwark might be in the too efficient category. He's 71ish nora w/ combat awareness, regen 2, def 1, and 60 base hp (so a borderline overefficient rune. He's at a pretty good price point though (i.e. there are other hyaenid melee at the mid 70's and around 80, so his overall nora cost should probably remain the same). As far as I'm aware, he doesn't have a hidden nora cost reduction. He's just has a very good combination of abilities and stats, so I don't see an obvious solution.

16. Faust

Consolidate races plz.

Let Humans be humans not Barbarians like it used to be.
    not every "human" in IS need to be barbarian

Same goes for KF Vashals - they dont need to be beasts - it lead to boost etc interactions and this is not needed.

Accualy can we do somethign about race beast - NOT EVERYTHING need to get boosted .....

Some goes for Dwarf / Construct things - those can get boosted by 2 themes.

soulmilk likes this.
  17. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

It feels really, really weird to have Barbarians fighting together with Knights and Paladins, so I fully support this.

18. Faust

Barabrians used to be Barbarians and Humans used to be Humans ( Magnus Isran etc )

i dont know why it was changed.

19. sidmouth

sidmouth The King of Potatoes

This has already kinda been mentioned but there are still a number of low-damage bomb champs out there who are paying full damage for a bomb which is not terribly useful. Strig Magebane is one, I'm sure there are many others.

Abilities that do dmg based on dmg stat vs abilities that do set dmg is always going to be a balance issue that the formula can't account for. Units can save a bunch of nora by having 0 dmg and a skewer that makes them high damage units, whereas a unit with 8 dmg and a bomb is hopelessly sandbagged.

Ralphen and soulmilk like this.
  20. Ralphen

Ralphen I need me some PIE!

About this, I'm still of the idea that bomb, cones and rays needs to have a fixed amount of damage (like the terrain changing AoE abilities). It would made a lot easier to keep in check and balance them .