Thoughts on UD

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mw24, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Garr123

Garr123 I need me some PIE!

UD also has some of the best answers in the game, though. Champ Spam? Maddening Echoes. Relics? Demolish that Bane Shift. Font Contest? Banish him and win it. Superchamp? Fading Recollection that fool.

People whinge about FW's spells, but when I play FW I'd love to have Demolish and Banish instead of Haunt and Doom.

2. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

I guess one might whinge and crow about each faction. My personal view is that UD has many great runes, as do all other factions. Several great hard counters, a few gaps. The only REAL concerns I find are the cleanse and the heal, but one can circumvent those by typical UD means.

PS I'd never run Banish or Doom. First never works for my play style, second is way too slow. But they clearly work for others.

Demolish is auto, clearly.

3. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

It is very difficult to have a discussion the forums because of varying degree of game knowledge and skill of its members. Everyone thinks they are an expert when most of you have extremely basic knowledge on most of the subjects mentioned if that and want to heavily criticized people when you think they are wrong...

4. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Could you elaborate in what ways you think the forums in general lack knowledge about the game or game design?

5. Ralphen

Ralphen I need me some PIE!

I understand Echoes and Demolish (even Shatter for antiequip)... but Fading and Banish...

Fading don't work on superchamp (i.e. champ buffed via spells). It's good only to get rid of pesky abilities on support unit or resistances/immunities on tanks; it's also 55 nora and it still left you with a meat block to deal with.

Banish is the ugly brother of Vortex... no need to say more.

6. Garr123

Banish and Vortex can both be game winning. Not sure why you're poopooing instantly winning a font contest as if its no big deal.

7. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

Most people who comment are novices and don't play outside their faction very much. Most don't even have a decent grasp of the faction that they main or even put much time into the game. Often times the people who have the least game knowledge and skill are the ones who want to criticize the most and it is really annoying. You would think they would be more sensitive with their words.

At least people like burnpyro and dmr have alot of knowledge and skill in particular areas of the game but alot of people want to criticize me harshly who have no business doing so. Many have no idea what they are talking about and don't know how the game works past the most basic level.

8. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

About what particular areas of the game do people have insufficient information? Could you elaborate on why people make errors in those areas, and what those errors are? For instance, say you think that the Knight is the worst piece in chess -- you could try to defend that by saying that it is difficult to move and easy to out position with other pieces. Hearing your thought process for these things in Pox might be helpful. We've already established you think people are wrong, but now we need to know how they are wrong, and in what ways.

9. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

Many players think runes are overpowered or underpowered based on their experiences against novice opponents. Often times they do not know how to counter the runes, build their bg properly, or make the correct movements and this leads them to believing that certain runes are too strong or too weak when they cannot truly know because they are not playing anywhere near an optimal level and or don't have enough game knowledge to understand why what they experienced in their game occured.

It is difficult for me to articulate exactly what I am trying to say, I am trying to communicate quickly and get alot done. I do not have enough time to put alot of thought and detail into my explanations. I am also not the best communicator. I just know how to get the right answers alot of the time, I am not good at teaching or explaining how.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  10. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

What could give players more game knowledge?

11. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

experience playing and playing against the particular runes being spoken of. Also having experience using the runes and playing against them in high level ranked games helps alot. I feel that there are players like yourself though that don't necessarily play high level ranked much but do have alot of knowledge of the game itself. Most don't though.

12. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Obviously everyone here has different experience with the game, different outlooks, different levels of observance and different levels of sanity.

If only it was as easy as rank + games played = credibility.

Unfortunately it is not, as many examples can testify.

JellyBerry, Fentum and SPiEkY like this.
  13. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Alrighty, thanks for spelling out your line of thinking here. Now, for future threads (maybe even posts, if you're feeling particularly helpful), pretend someone is already sitting there over your shoulder, asking all those kinds of questions -- What exactly do you mean by this term? Do you have any examples for this point over here? How does this relate to an idea someone brought up earlier? It actually saves a lot of time, because then people can more directly address whatever it is you're bringing up without having to go through a long process of dragging out some responses. Figuring out where people might ask basic questions and answering them in advance makes for better rhetorical writing.

14. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

Highlights in red my addition.

15. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

Nefari guardian gave UD some protection against cc because he was immune to most cc that would stop his bodyguard.

16. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

its kind of unfair thay because we have more OP runes than we are more restricted than other factions but UD has always been like that high damage low counters

17. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

high damage doesnt always mean op, especially on melees. UD does have high damage runes because of the bonus but often times UD champions have low base damage and low range. High damage isn't nearly as effective on melee as it is on range.

There are no UD ranged units with high damage other than the 100 nora hero grimlic and le runes that not everyone can obtain.

Harbs are bs and renovators are becoming difficult to obtain because of decondor preventing them from being on the rune trader.

18. Garr123

You do realize that the community is so small that everyone has likely played against almost everyone in ranked if they've been around for any length of time, correct? Pretty sure I've been matched against Devils a few times and I'm nowhere near his level. That's like me at ~4k in dota being matched against a bunch of pros.

19. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Kalasle is the best.

Also, whoever said running banish to win fonts is a big deal, you're wrong. Ill happily give you the font for such a nora advantage. Board control is great, but not for a price.

SPiEkY and Fentum like this.
  20. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

Agreed. At least not for THAT price.