I think its time.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Axeraiser, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Revengercm

Revengercm I need me some PIE!

but I have things to do like... life

2. bambino

bambino I need me some PIE!

I wouldnt mind it going to 2min for a few reasons,
    might help newbs a bit (and myself :) ),
    mid game gets a little chuggy, could help a bit...
    also ,Its true time is a layer of stragety, tho unlike chess, there are many pieces to move in pox as opposed to one in chess, so most of ones turn in chess is spent thinking, as opposed to pox when ones spends most of there turn moving lots of little pieces around, (sometimes clicking wrong piece or mouse stuck so u have to click something else and go back ), and maybe reading combat log cuz u cant figure why u can't attack something etc. Sometimes its more like throwing darts then chess..
    tbs are enjoyed for there in depth detail to strategy,, rush them and they are diminished.
    where the hell u goin?!! relax and play some pox. :)

3. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Can't counter the number of times i have had a great turn and had it end right as i was about to drop the bomb on my opponent, these moments are rare for me still suck when they happen though.

poinl likes this.
  4. Ozariig

Ozariig I need me some PIE!

If having extra time is good for newbies, maybe the turn timer should take rank into account? Might be an easy way to introduce a handicap in favour of new players.

Gnomes, super71 and voodoov like this.
  5. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

6. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Every BG i play relies on a lot of micromanagement. Would love an extra 15 seconds.

7. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

Ideally turn duration would increase as the game progressed, so the early turns would still be quick and snappy, but we'd have more time in lategame turns to move more units. Something like 1:00 for turns 1-5, then 1:30 for 5-15, and 2:00 for the rest of the game.

8. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Plan faster nerds.

Or buy a better pc, you plebs disgust me.

Karmavore likes this.
  9. poinl

poinl I need me some PIE!

Especially in 2v2 or large/late game bg's Things get crowded.

10. EnigmaXIII

EnigmaXIII I need me some PIE!

As much as I really like the idea, its just really annoying waiting for people.
    You high rank players are pretty respectful in terms of time.
    At lower ranks, dont ask me why, but people spend the entire turn even on their first turn.
    It can be so frustrating, I almost think they are trying to get you to surrender by annoying you.

I just cant decide if I'm for or against this, but I wanted to share my view.

How would yall feel if every game had a tournament timer :D I think it would be hilarious.

11. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

turn timer can easily scale with # of units on the board

Osidan likes this.
  12. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

I find this statement beyond annoying. lots of people do use their turn time even in the early turns to legitimately ponder what the best course of action to go is when it comes to deploys/font priority etc, some people also just arent aware cause they were in ranked que so damn long they dont realize theyre in a game. But yeah its only a minute 45 im sure you can have a bit of patience

:)

poinl likes this.
  13. Elves Rule

Elves Rule I need me some PIE!

Sounds like a general good idea.

14. NiGhtMaRiK

NiGhtMaRiK I need me some PIE!

We've discussed this quite a few times.

A popular resolution that I, among a few others suggested was a 'Time Bank'.
    Your unused time from your 1:45 minute Rd's was banked onto your following Rd's to a cap of 3min.

That way you don't have troll stallers trying to make you rage quit by taking a constant 3min window and letting it run out every turn to prolong a losing game.
    You're not exactly getting any 'more ' time, you are only using time you were afforded to begin with, you are only repurposing it to more needed turns.

I think this is a fair resolution being that some turns take very little thought and management where others are extremely demanding and time consuming.
    This is especially true when you have a plan in your mind and a new development surprises you and makes you have to adapt on the fly altering your whole plan.
    Adapting in Pox is a skill, and speed has always been prided. However, I think this is a happy medium that will benefit players all around.

mortal ix, Tweek516, Osidan and 3 others like this.
  15. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Different turn lengths reward different skill sets. If DOG is happy with the current balance between fundamentals and game-specific analysis, then the turn timer won't change.

16. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Honestly with a longer turn timer I think we might see a few players step it up big time, i've seen a lot of great games that came down to a guy just running out of time. However if the game auto-calculated the damage that would be nice also.

17. skarpox

skarpox The King of Potatoes

I think the timer should be a little more intuitive. For example--and this is just an example that needs more thought--the timer should be set to 1:30. The timer should have a 30 second pause button that can be pushed a max of two times. If a player does not have enough nora or AP to move champs or do anything, the turn should just end. Or something like this!

18. abrasax

abrasax The King of Potatoes

Agree

19. AlmazD

AlmazD New Member

I agree with this. As a new(ish) player, games dragging on forever is a major negative to this game. But likewise, I often need to pause and read a rune or check the combat log because I don't know all the runes that people use. The developers should really consider even going so far as to having players have a timer that they just run down every turn, from 30 minutes or so. This would be best if there were some method of point scoring, because shrines blow up fairly rarely in my experience so far.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  20. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

for poxnora 2? i agree.

SaintKiwi likes this.