11 officers shot, 4 dead in Dallas

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by darklord48, Jul 7, 2016.

1. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

If chances are that people will do X even though X is illegal, why have laws in the first place anyway?

That's your argument. Sit down and ponder about it.

Geressen, Boozha and Makorov like this.
  2. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Try to find a gun illegally in Germany. It's possible, but it will take time, it will be expensive and it will take connections.

Geressen likes this.
  3. Makorov

Makorov I need me some PIE!

Absolutely.

Will the amount of guns in circulation eventually die down? Yes. You're absolutely right.

The issue, however, is that the general fear portrays the good, innocent, and gun restricted civilian as being the target of those who purchased their weapons illegally.
    Again, my field of study is not economics or sociology, but I would strongly assume that the amount of time required for the number of unregistered guns in circulation in the US would take quite a few years. A large number of years, actually.

And all the while you have your sweet and hardworking American being the target of evildoers with illegally purchased firearms.

Geressen likes this.
  4. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

5. Makorov

I didn't know that. That's definitely a good sign for gun control.

In the US it is, relatively, easy to get a hold of a gun.

Geressen likes this.
  6. Makorov

Yes, on average it's between 19 and 21 weeks.

San Diego, California tends to have 6 month long academies though.

Edit: Looked it up, the above numbers are from 2006. I don't know what the current numbers are.

Geressen likes this.
  7. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Looked it up, police training takes between 3 and 4 years here. ( Netherlands)
    but the innocent with guns are the target too, this is an irrational fear.

people are stupid, I'm sure you know, you study them.

8. Makorov

Yes, that's what I've been trying to get across. I just don't want to be calling people stupid. I really need to work on my writing haha.

And no, I actually don't study them. I'm an engineering major. My field of study is NOT economics OR sociology.

Geressen likes this.
  9. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Oh sorry I misread, because I am a human, and thus people, and people are stupid.

Makorov likes this.
  10. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I believe a lot of departments require an associates degree in criminal justice before admitting someone to the police academy. I don't believe that is a good replacement for actual police training.

Makorov likes this.
  11. Makorov

That's amazing!

I definitely do think that the recent events, while unfortunate, have spurred some sort of investigation into how police officers are trained here. Hopefully stricter selection is enacted, as well as in-depth and lengthier police education.
    The issues here are much larger than JUST police education, but it's definitely a step in the right direction!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    Geressen likes this.
  12. Makorov

I think you get a promotion in status or raise if you have an AA.

Honestly though... AA degrees are something but they're not very... It really doesn't take much to get them. I think police should definitely go through sufficient academy training.

Geressen likes this.
  13. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

that's for Hoofd-Agent ( allround, Head-officer) though

the lowest rank in the police force is surveillant( surveyor?, surveillance) it's below agent(officer?) they generaly do not have a gun except when doing stuff like security at embassies they are allowed use of pepperspray, baton and handcuffs they do stuff like write tickets, drive around do traffic stuff etc.

the training for that one is around 2 years.

Makorov likes this.