2 things that will never change for Pox

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Revengercm, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I think that's somewhat of a different discussion than salaries, but I'd actually argue that a number of your statements are false, exaggerated or misrepresents things.

First, I don't think the games industry is the only one where terms like "support" and "invest" are used. Even local business associations will say stuff like "Support local businesses!" And to some extent, the "support" idea is really coming from the player side, who views their expenditure as helping the studio - the same way that buying from the local mom and pop instead of on Amazon helps the local business/economy. In general, I do not see that game developers are going around pretending they are a charity case.

The shift in ways games get press and advertising is pretty interesting, but I don't think it was true that "every game" had demos, though it was certainly a primary marketing tactic - demos would frequently come with magazines etc.

In the digital age where you can read tons of reviews, watch videos and let's plays, demos has become mostly a relic of the past, since you can get a fairly representative sample of the game without the studio putting out a specific demo anymore. So I don't see how this somehow points to devs is convincing people they are a charity.

The reasons for this is complex, but it is largely because betas started becoming less about testing and more about marketing. And it isn't necessarily the developer's fault here - it's just reality. People who play betas form an impression of the game - many of whom aren't actually testing but want in to play the game sooner - and again, the internet basically means this can completely wreck your game before it is even officially launched. So it's no surprise that betas have evolved away from testing. As we say in the industry: your beta IS your launch.

I do think "Early Access" has been abused by some developers, but it's certainly an interesting model, and I think like any tool, can be used for good or bad. Some games have come out of Early Access, with player feedback during that process, and actually the process ends up functioning like an alpha/beta test, and I think if used properly, it can result in better games and provide an enjoyable experience for players who want to be part of the process.

Kickstarter is a whole different animal, and again, seems to have been abused - it's too easy to lie or mislead on there. But at the same time, it's not as though Kickstarter is some game development only platform.

Only because digital downloads wasn't a thing. We had expansions and other exclusive content previously. The realities of the economics of the situation meant it was more reasonable to have large expansions infrequently. That said, again, like anything, these things can be abused.

At the same time, "DLC" and "add-on" content isn't something exclusive or unique to gaming. When you buy a car, for example, you can "add-on" a wide variety of options that some would argue should be standard. Same thing with your cell phone plans. Cable TV is resisting this model but people are more and more demanding a la carte style. So it's not as though other industries aren't doing similar things, or that consumers aren't receptive to these practices, and I think pretending that gaming is unique in this is a bit misleading.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Tweek516, SPiEkY and aseryen like this.
  2. Fleshbits

Fleshbits Member

You support your local business by buying their products and immediately using them, at a fair price.
    You "support" the game industry by buying a product before it is even created, then hope and pray it actually becomes something usable in 1-5 years.

They are deceived and misled by a decade of propaganda from the Industry.

You haven't seen lines like:
    "Without you Kickstarter support, this project can not happen."
    "We've released these 50 DLC, because the cost of developing is so high these days!"
    "Show your support buy signing up for our Early Access and help mold the game!"

over and over and over?

In the late 90s, if it didn't have a Demo, forget about it.

More propoganda.

Twitch Streams are bought and paid for by the studio to sell their product, shortcomings are covered up and skipped over, and anyone pointing out flaws is kicked and banned.

Likewise, reviews are completely bought out. The only review site you can put any stock into at all might be Metacritic, but even then, there exists a huge number of people that review things positively based on name or studio alone. Warhammer Total War, for example, was reviewed by 2000+ people as Overwhelmingly positive on Steam 6 minutes after the download started. Ends up, its a steaming pile of crap. (One would expect nothing else from Creative Assembly)

Let's Plays are often done by only the most dedicated white knights and are also, often, a complete misrepresentation of the game, having its flaws completely skipped over.

Exactly.

One that was forged by the industry itself, and one that was accepted by its consumers, out of their desperate need to alleviate their boredom, their horrible addiction, and inability to resist.

Developers, as in programmers themselves? Probably not. Marketing and Producers? Absolutely.

Some?
    90% of games go Early Access today.
    You mean, I can get money, before I even do any work, and any flaw can just be excused away by "There will be updates", and in the end, I don't even have to finish, with no repercussions what so ever?!!!! Hell yes, I'll take your money.

Sure, there are some. There may be some 1 in 100 games where any suggestion from the players actually sees the light of day at all. But that's not why it exists. It exists because it's free money.

That line is the charity case propoganda. "We can't do this without you. Players have the best ideas. They see things we can't. So sign up now for my unfinished, unthought out, steaming pile of crap, that will probably never get done, and pay me full price for it, today!"

Most games had _one_ expansion, priced around 1/3 or 1/2 the cost of the game. Additionally, they were actual expansions, not content of the game that was held back at initial release only to make an extra buck a month later. Games are now released bare bones, and if you know what you are doing, you can actually see the content they are going to charge you for, already there and ready to go, at release.

It is now quite normal now to pay 6-10X the cost of the game in DLC within the first 2 years of its release.

Example of some of the worse offenders:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/236850/ $250 of DLC
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/214950/ $86 of DLC for a game everyone reviewed as suck!

I never bought a car where it didn't start, paid the dealer an additional cost, had him pop the trunk, and scoop out the key.
    I never had to buy a additional package to steer the car and another to brake either.

3. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

Quite funny you use cars and cable service as examples; My brother works on cars and I have a friend that works at Comcast; pretty much have had this same discussion with them and how each thing kind of compares here and there.

I'd like to mention that DLC was bound to happen, have you seen how many Discs came with Unreal Tournament 2004? There's no reason for that many discs to be released nowadays; especially when as Sok stated, Betas are less about testing and more about advertising; and so at game launch you are expected to have more content because your time invested during the beta should also get some form of return once the game title has been launched; It's all about demand, and let's just say that back in early 2000 our demand was still just as high, the technology just wasn't there. It's always been about more and better which is why DLC is a thing.

Unreal Tournament is in pre-alpha, and I wouldn't expect them to ever remove that tag; there's really no need. It's just to show that the state of the game is expanding. EQNext also has no reason to remove their tag, Sandbox is entering into almost every genre and that is because the developing tools we have now are so much more powerful. Certainly from UE2004 to UE4 there has been a significant increase in things I can do and I'm barely scratching the surface of what I can do.

How all this translates to Poxnora? Well imo I think the community would have been able to better support Pox had it been on UE4 and let the players get some developing tools (I can dream) however Unity is certainly a good engine, I just prefer it less, I've spent too much time in Autodesk and UE to prefer anything but those. Really though idt anything is wrong with what's going on, the console release has pushed Poxnora a few years ahead of development schedule, but it's not like what was on the table for change is getting looked over. I'm certain though that the PSN trading restrictions has played a role in decisions here or there, as with controller support, it's going to have taken away from something but the game as a whole still benefits from all this funding/change.

4. Sokolov

As a gamer, I agree that it's annoying to see all that crap on Steam, but I am not sure how it is relevant to your discussion point. It seems more like a complaint against Steam and wanting them to be a curator more than anything.

Should Steam be a distribution platform? Or should they be curating the stuff that comes onto their platform and limit it to things they deem, based on whatever criteria, to be acceptable?

This also isn't a new problem - crap games have existed for a long, long time. At least now it's easy to read reviews, watch videos and make an informed decision - and many distributors also offer refunds, including Steam.

Remember how it used to be? You travel physically to the store and look at the back of boxes and pray to god that you are buying a decent game for $40-50 (which, adjusted for inflation, is typically more expensive than games are now) - there'd be no patches or no fixes coming - you were getting what you were getting. Or maybe it didn't even run, and there was no internet to help. Or you lost the manual, and now you can't even load your game because of their DRM what requires you to look up a specific page of a book or spin some wheels/doodads to find a code.

mortal ix, Fentum, Tweek516 and 4 others like this.
  5. phdstax

phdstax Active Member

You seem to have a short-sighted perspective.

6. Sokolov

I'd say this is still true of most games - most have neither expansions nor DLC.

I never bought a game where it doesn't run without DLC either. So I feel like you are making a false equivalency here.

(Note: we are talking about actual games, not vaporware or scams.)

7. phdstax

phdstax Active Member

The fact that you used balance to validate your position is curious since you admit balance can not be achieved. You need to check your logic.

8. Sokolov

Early reviews should always be taken with a grain of salt, no one can form a proper impression in the first 6 minutes - but the reviews HAVE THIS INFORMATION on them, so people should be using their own brains to evaluate such things. That said, personally, I think Steam should not allow reviews until a game has been out awhile.

In either case, your example of Warhammer reviews being "completely bought out" doesn't seem to actually be true considering it's currently at Mixed. If it was "completely" bought out there'd be nothing but positive reviews.

In either case, the point isn't that reviews and such mechanic-isms are perfect, but that they have reduced the need for demos, that's all.

And I don't know what Let's Plays/Reviews you watch, but the people I follow do complain a lot about the various issues they have with the games.

Personally, I'd probably end up buying a lot more crap or stuff I didn't enjoy if there weren't such tools available for me to judge a game - sometimes it's useful just to know how the game actually plays before buying it because it's often hard to tell from official screenshots or trailers - so even if the reviewer is glossing over things it can still be useful.

Ultimately, my point is there is a lot of valuable information now to help you make an informed choice, even with reduced # of demos. And honestly, who doesn't remember demos not being representative of the final game quite often back then? Developers would polish that demo so fine and then the rest of the game sometimes didn't even run properly. So let's not pretend demos are some holy grail of gaming.

aseryen likes this.
  9. aseryen

Some reviews are still pretty good, like mine for Poxnora; go and up vote that on steam for me.

10. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

@Fleshbits Out of curiosity - why do you think TW:WH is total crap? I enjoy it immensely and had no troubles at launch. Care to elaborate?

11. Fleshbits

Fleshbits Member

I've got some things to do today. Maybe I'll come back to this discussion later.

I'm learning UE4 myself, so that maybe I can get something on Kickstarter, and make millions without any repercussions if I don't deliver, then go into Early Access for the next decade on Steam.

12. Sokolov

I'd love to see you try and document your experience. I think you will find that it isn't that easy. We gamers and developers love to focus on the outliers (which is why everyone tried to clone WoW, and now they are all trying to clone LoL), but we rarely hear about or pay attention to the rest of what is happening.

In other news, I really like UE4, though there is a lot of unfinished stuff still and integretating new builds is a PITA sometimes when they change stuff.

13. Sokolov

To clear, I am not suggesting there aren't greedy developers or CEOs - there certainly is a lot of that going on and people who take advantage of others.

But I don't think it's fair nor accurate to say this is the WHOLE INDUSTRY.

Revengercm likes this.
  14. Fleshbits

Fleshbits Member

Well, if any of you Ue4 uses can start me off with resources on how to do a Hex Grid, or Mouse Object picking in Ue4 that would get me started.

4 days of Google searches and all I continually find is some guy's paid "Turn Based Grid" asset. I really don't want to reverse engineer some other guy's work in order to learn the engine.

I'm getting frustrated that I can implement both in my own engine, but can't do it in Unreal 4 :p

15. aseryen

The forums there have most everything you'd need to know although perhaps a bit buried.

I'm still working on a Pox clone, although it's not isometric and more similar to Beta Dwarfs games; those guys really did a good job imo. Pretty much a TD - Pox, but I like the idea of Sandbox games that you navigate the environment/ingame menus to interact with different games modes. More time playing the game and less time roaming so the game can be played.

Pox has a lot of genres it could break into imo.

16. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

Haven't played it for months but my only complaint with it was the power of agents. Almost made it unplayable (still had a ton of fun with the game tjough). Is this any better now than on release?

17. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

Ah, the good old days. Brought a tear to my eye.

Remember when games came on cassette tapes?

18. aseryen

A friend came over to chill last night, wasn't expecting to see him for a couple days cause he just got Gears of War...I was not aware the new Xbox requires you to download the game onto your device/hard drive before you play it.

What's up with that?

19. Fleshbits

Fleshbits Member

#1: Any Warhammer fan could jump in, change settings to the most difficult, and live stream on release, but never lose a single battle.
    #2: Released with 4 races rather than the usual 15-20 in previous titles and immediatly released races as paid DLC for $15+ dollars a piece.
    #3: Released with no blood and gore in a warhammer game?! Released as paid DLC a week later
    #4: Dumbed down the Total War game even further than they've dumbed it down in previous titles.
    #5: Took out seiges, because they haven't been able to get them right since the original programming team quit CA a decade ago.
    #6: CA deletes and bans any negative posts about thier games on any forum they have moderation control over, including steam, and have since the terd that was the Empire Total was release. (This is why I have blacklisted them)

I could go on...

20. Fleshbits

Fleshbits Member

The Commodore 64 is still my favorite PC experience ever.

Going to the grocery store was a treat, because I knew Mom would buy me an issue of Ahoy or Byte magazine and I'd be able to type in a 2-3 page listing and have a new game to play.

POKE 53280,0 baby.

Fentum likes this.