[2015-02-04] Meta Diversity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

upload_2015-2-6_10-15-20.png

Variation Ratio is calculated as:

TOTAL DISTINCT RUNES / (TOTAL RUNES / 2)

So, a value of 2 would mean that every rune was used exactly once - no single rune in the faction was used more than once.

A value of 1 would mean that, on average, decks compromised of the faction featured 15 distinct runes (2x of each).

We'll see if this calc yields anything meaningful as we go forward.

~

Historical Context!

upload_2015-2-6_10-17-45.png

We see that compared to Mar 2010, Meta Diversity has actually increased for most factions. SL, unfortunately, has become super homogenized (due to the great Rend-Regeneration Plague of 2014?).

One of my goals when I was at SOE during 2012 was actively encouraging meta diversity, and by 2012-10 the numbers looked like this:

upload_2015-2-6_10-19-44.png

We have regressed from that point somewhat for about half the factions, tho the other half has actually improved quite a bit.

Ohmin and Nea like this.
  2. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

oooh, data!

3. Poxbrothers

Poxbrothers Devotee of the Blood Owl

There are 2 issues with this data though:

First the more people that play a faction the bigger the chance they include a rune in their BG that isn't being ran in another BG of the same faction.

Eg: 20 KF BGs in the top 200 vs 10 SL BGs in the top 200 -> bigger chance of "diversity" within KF, because of that one guy with the odd BG, or that odd rune you like to run in every BG etc.

Second, over time expansions happend, so the rune pool got bigger.
    Saying 60 runes were playable in 2008 and 90 now doesn't mean anything if 100 new runes per faction came out meanwhile.
    It should be compared to total amount of runes per faction %wise.

Eg: 40% of the runes in KF see play in the top 200 compared to 20% of the runes in SL for example.

4. Sokolov

Which is why I am introducing the variation ratio, to account for the total number of runes. It's still going to be a problem somewhat due to sample sizes, but should, over time, let us see if that number is increasing. What you see is that the lower used factions actually use MORE different runes... as a ratio of total runes.

The second point I fully disagree with for 2 major reasons:
    • deck needs don't change with expansions
      • there is a reason why the top used spells remain so for long, even after nerfs
    • rune dock doesn't change with expansions, more runes competing for the same number of slots mitigates the "more runes" impact
      • rune dock size changed in 2010 which was part of the increase vs 2009

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
    Ohmin, Karmavore and Poxbrothers like this.
  5. Atherhog

Atherhog I need me some PIE!

Hmmm... seems I was talking rubbish re: IS...

Thanks for this :)

Can you infer from this (at least going forward) that things need looking at in SL & FS?
    Why are they so far below the average?

6. polltroy

polltroy I need me some PIE!

Im sorry to say it, but this info is just totally bs. Who cares about diveristy within a game, within a bg? What ppl look for is diveristy between games, between opponents, between bgs. In contrary, if someone plays 2 of each rune, it could be good for diversity, it could mean his bg is built around some unique theme or strategy. If two guys play two different 15 rune bgs, it more likely those games feel different than if those two guys run 30 rune decks, with bigger chance certain goodstuff runes are in both bgs and hence even if both bgs dont hsve exactly the same runes, the games still feel very similar, because many of the runes played are the same between the two of them.

7. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

I don't even know how to reply to this.

--- Good stuff Sokolov, I really enjoy these data spreads.

8. XFurionsX

XFurionsX I need me some PIE!

I wish i could understand half of all of this tables, this seems a pretty nice job cactus with tons of info, good work!

9. Sokolov

Feel free to ask questions :)

I can also explain more what is happening too.

10. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Speaking of Rune Dock. Would you be adverse to a few month test of +2?

11. Sokolov

+2 what?

12. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Runes.

13. Sokolov

Technically, the program I am using can do those kinds of visualizations if I set them up and published them for you to see online.

14. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

The following quote from that link gives me hope for the denizens of Pox, and the world:

"Otoniel Medrano

Posted 8 days ago
    Sinceramente tenía otro concepto sobre lo que era la estadística, no la había visto como una herramienta tan útil como se muestra e el vídeo. Se muestra todo de una manera tan sencilla y práctica que es muy entendible a cualquier punto de vista o al menos así lo sentí yo porque gracias al software que el Dr. Roslings implemento para explicar lo que trata en su conferencia lo puedes ver de una manera mucho más sencilla y menos tediosa y por supuesto deja en claro que la estadística NO ES EXCLUSIVAMENTE DE ECONOMISTAS o de trabajos, personas o materias que tengan que ver con matemáticas, va mucho más allá de eso, es una herramienta que todos podemos usar para diversos casos y situaciones no solo curriculares si no también de nuestra vida cotidiana, ahora tengo bien en claro que la estadística es una herramienta de gran ayuda para toda la sociedad en general."

Sok clearly has this attitude, as he places some of the statistics of Pox front and center. Gracias for that man. +7

15. MovnTarget

MovnTarget Forum Royalty

[​IMG]

...in lack of originality in deck building.

SPiEkY likes this.
  16. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

Nerf sl, acid elemental op. I cant even read an entire polltroy post.