2016 Summer Olympics Underway

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by StormChasee, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Mmmm yes the succes of the english atlethes in a sport in which the English control the important organizational positions and in which said athletes repeatedly get away with stuff that acording to rules and regulations are reasons for disqualification. Yes we'd like to win like that Mmmmmmm?

2. Comissar

Comissar I need me some PIE!

Gonna be honest, not even been watching the olympics this year, and don't follow international politics on sport any year. It's entirely possible there's corruption issues, but if there are, this is the first I'm hearing about it through my own lack of interest in the subject.

3. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

We basically ploughed a load of money into sports where you can win lots of medals at - like cycling.

It's not in any way cheating, but it is cynical, and weirdly reminiscent of soviet program.

4. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I mean yeah technically non-independant research is still research. But there tends to be a bias. And these olympics some bias has become quite noticable.

Also driving vertical or finishing on foot missing a front wheel counts as winning for me, so we cool.

5. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

no this is the dutch space program
    https://streamable.com/cnu6

funniest thing seeing him qualify for the semi-finals limping across the finish like this
    [​IMG]

notice how the wheel didn't just come loose, he broke the front fork by crushing it with his pelvis.

6. Comissar

Comissar I need me some PIE!

I'm curious as to what the context is here, and how he could still hit the semi-finals after literally wrecking his bike.

7. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

multiple heats, 1st place gets 1 point, more points if you cross finish later he had a couple good runs and unlike the french world champion breaking his wrist in the video falling into the valley of that jump he actually crossed the finish.

8. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Anyways semi-finals BMX are today and its super fun to watch, in part because of the crashes. that is good television :p

9. badgerale

I'm in Serbia at the moment. All the TV ever shows is water polo.

10. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

that sounds gleefully bizarre

"A man wakes up in Serbia each day and turns on the TV, expecting news and various entertaining shows, but all the TV ever shows is water polo, unbeknownst to him he went to sleep in Serbia, but woke up in.... the twilight zone."

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  11. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

12. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

this sport needs this:

13. StormChasee

StormChasee The King of Potatoes

Men's Marathon is a bit past half way through. How those guys can run 5 minute miles in this is beyond me. At least the weather is cool though humid.

Rio is in a pretty scenic area.

14. StormChasee

5 miles to go. Lead pack down to 3 (Kenyan, Ethiopian and American). The Kenyan looks likes he's out for a Sunday jog. They're running 4:45 ish miles now. Are you kidding?

15. StormChasee

1 hour 50 minutes in; Kenyan's broken away from the Ethiopian. American is third.

Kenyan still looks like he's in a Sunday jog. Passing the Museum of Tomorrow.

Kenyan wins 2:08:44. Ethiopian second, American third, each a minute or so behind. Another American in 6th.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  16. StormChasee

Now that it's over I think we can all be thankful there were no serious incidents or terrorist attacks (that I know of).

Geressen likes this.
  17. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

A spidercam dropped off its wires near some olympic venues and injured 7

the off-road cycling track was shut down for some time threatening its events after an out of control controled garbage fire nearly scorched it.

guns where fired at a bus full of journalist though nobody got hurt.

the golf course was built in the middle of a nature preserve.

several nations were accused of having bribed/too much influence in the juries.

a coach died of the result of a car crash and underfunded brazilian hospital.

a french journalist person is in a coma with a rare case of super malaria.

an olympic security person had his gps lead him into a favela and he got shot in the head.

several teams gor robbed or stuff stolen in a vareity of ways,

money for the special olympics has dissapeared or isnt there because of dissapointing ticket sales meaning poorer nations may not be able to compete,

economic results for small business owners in the area was marginal

we won't know about zika and waterbourne illnesses for a while yet.

Ryan Lochte, professional trained seal-person smashed a gas station bathroom and was told to pay for the damage by a security guard. he then lied about events and nearly turned it into an international incident.

more probably happened but I don't know it yet.

EDIT: i forgot, an olympics thingymagig member got arrested for scalping tickets and stuff and another person I think maybe another coach or something keeled over dead, probably natural causes + heat that did that last one.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    badgerale likes this.
  18. badgerale

Not to mention that a huge amount of money was spent by a country in economic crisis on things that ordinary Brazilians couldn't give a Bane Shift about, which means that a lot of actually useful inferstructure and welfare will be underfunded and likely result in lives lost or impoverished.

But no one suffered as a result of a muslim, so let's be thankful for that.

BurnPyro and Geressen like this.
  19. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

first one is in the bag:

Indian athlete Sudha Singh, who returned from Rio Olympics with fever and body ache last week, has been undergoing treatment at a private hospital for a suspected Zika virus.

20. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Well, I personally couldnt care less about the Olympics, primarely because Rio is a place full of aholes and scammers, secondly because it wasnt the right time for it, but this list of "accidents" is pretty laughable. I mean, the athletes have to be thankful the Olympics was in south america, because people would be dying if it was in Europe/USA.

Yeah, thats the feeling most of us "ordinary brazilians" have. Our biggest TV station here (Globo) is from Rio de Janeiro, and they tend to over exagerate their importance and role on the country, as if people born there were better than the rest of us. So yeah, middle finger to Rio.
    Also, I really expected that these Olympics would cause a shift in paradigm concerning how sport in school for kids is viewed and invested on. However, nothing happened on that regard, so Im really not proud of what went down.