2016 Summer Olympics Underway

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by StormChasee, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Comissar

Comissar I need me some PIE!

Is there a war in Europe that I've not been made aware of?

2. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Well, yeah if you consider the IE agenda.

Edit: this is not an Europe x South American debate Comi, lets not go there.
    I just think the list of "accidents" was pretty funny.

Edit 2: also, you british guys are not part of europe anymore, so Im not surprised you are not aware ;););)

3. Comissar

Forgive me, not hot on acronyms, IE?

Claiming people would be dying in Europe/USA is a pretty big thing to say. I'm not interested in comparing continents, but it was just a bizarre point to casually mention. Besides which, the Zika one could be pretty serious. As has been said, we'll have to wait and see on that front.

Article 50's not invoked yet, we're still in the EU.

EU =/= Europe.

I'd like to think I've made my opinion on the referendum amply clear by now.

4. Pedeguerra

Islamic State.
    Sorry the E there was my bad (in Brazil its "Estado Islamico", EI).

Bizarre point if you disregard the threat thats hovering over you guys head. Should I quote the last incidents, only in the last year, caused by terrorist attacks in both USA and Europe?
    Hey, I'm not saying Brasil is violence free, because it really is not, at all. In fact, its quite the opposite, and I'm pretty surprised not more people were robbed/kidnapped during the Olympics.
    But terrorism is something we thankfully dont have to live with, and major events like these obviously draw more attention to those son of *****es.
    Example: since 2010 I went to Europe every year on vacations, this year i skipped it because I wanted to go on my honeymoon on a place terrorism free.
    On zika virus: Zika is a terrible disease and all but I think you guys are misinformed. The problem with the zika virus is that it causes diformities on infants (microcefaly or something like that), you dont really die of zika - at least from what I've heard/seen/read.
    So yeah.

Oh, cool. I was really wondering how that situation was being handled.
    I dont know your opinion on it so I was just trying to be funny.

5. Comissar

Ah, that explains why I was unfamiliar with it. The hope would be that a sufficiently large sporting event held in Europe would have enough security for that not to be an issue. I've not been keeping up to speed with what events have been going on in the European sporting world, Wimbledon's just about the only one I pay enough attention to to know who's won (and even then I've been too busy this year), so I won't pretend to comment on security this year.

I can tell you that I don't feel afraid of imminent death where I am, though I have to question your mention of the US if that's your concern. Have there been co-ordinated IS attacks there? I was under the impression it was just the run of the mill mass shootings. Which, admittedly, is plenty of reason on its own.

For Zika, the issue is that it's not going to just stay with the athletes. That's not how diseases work. If it gets picked up by indigenous parasites once the athletes have taken it back to their home countries, it's going to stick there. Then we start getting new, home grown cases. I don't know what the temperature tolerance is on the virus, but I imagine Gerben's example of India will be a place the virus could potentially colonise.

Poorly.

I think it's been a shambolic mess that should never have happened. The only good that's come out of it is the resigning of Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson, and even then one of them tried to burn down our remaining bridges with the EU and the other somehow got appointed as our foreign secretary. Because 'unelected officials' are only ok if they're our (genuinely) unelected officials.

Geressen and Pedeguerra like this.
  6. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Oh yeah thanks to global warming we got mosquitoes that can transmit all kinds of diseases again, dengue, malaria, Zika. did you know malaria was indigenous to most of europe a hundred years ago? anyways if those mosquitoes manage to gain a sizeable foothold again stuff is gon' be nasty.

Anyways the mosquitoes and those diseases are not a problem yet, and comparing violent deaths/terror I'd say Brazil is definetly more dangerous.

Comissar likes this.
  7. Pedeguerra

Cant argue against the potential threat mosquitoes represent. However, there are plenty of ways to deal with them - I have never had any of the diseases you cited, for example - which leads me to the second part of this post:

Well, here's the thing.
    If I could pull out numbers I'd say violence in Brasil caused by drug traffic, robbery and kidnapping is probably bigger than the raw number of people who die due to terrorism.
    The catch lies, I think, in the fact that:
    1) These big numbers of murderers, for example, are mostly due to people involved in drug traffic, and they murder people who are in debt with them or "in war" involving points to traffic, etc.
    2) A person can somewhat avoid these issues, because they know the problematic areas, know which times to avoid walking alone, etc. Turists, for example, dont really know these things, so they do end up being victims more often, which leads to bad rep.
    3) Terrorism has no place, time or target people. It can reach the poor to the rich, in the middle of the suburb or in an international airport.

So yeah, I guess its all about the perception and point of view.
    For me, personally, I'd rather travel these days to a "3rd world country" or whatever than Europe.
    Not USA, though, I know the security there is top notch.

8. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Yes it does.

if it didn't it would be way more effective.

I'd make an excellent terrorist.

9. Comissar

You are also in a country where they're a known factor, though. Introduce the diseases into a region without the same preparation, and you get the potential for an epidemic before it can be controlled.

Geressen likes this.
  10. Pedeguerra

Agreed with both of you guys.
    Good talk.

Geressen likes this.
  11. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Olympics has always been a money sink that never repays itself with a rapidly decaying infrastructure that's almost never used again. Capitalism boys.

Didn't really watch anything, same guys winning stuff mostly. Good thing no attacks happened. Ryan Lochte is a ****. And belgium did well in hockey and got a decent amount of medals overall I've been told, yay us.

12. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Olympics is for America to show its superiority.

13. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I am happy Belgium is happy with 40th place in the normal medal table.

the Netherlands is slightly displeased with 12th because we could have done better.
    question.
    how can you be superior if in the weighted medals per capita you rank 36th? that's 6 ranks below Belgium, and a full 23 below the Netherlands.

The Netherlands need only 338,730 people per medal point, and you need 1,085,874 people to get the same results. if it come to population per (weighted) medal a Dutchman is worth 3 UStatesians. that doesn't seem very superior to me.

http://www.medalspercapita.com/#weighted-per-capita:2016

Pattn199 likes this.
  14. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Also have to remember that a great number of US athletes do not compete because they are concerned about their professional careers. Also full medal tables include sports like handball, ping pong, water polo etc. That have next to no following in the states but are much more popular in smaller nations. For example if an obscure olympic sport became hugely popular in a small island nation and they became best in the world they would automatically jump to the top of that per capita chart just due to their small size.

Geressen likes this.
  15. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

American Badminton will likely outpace football in the fall Sunday race by 2018.

Geressen likes this.
  16. StormChasee

StormChasee The King of Potatoes

Spoilsport.

Seriously, I was thinking more in terms of what happened in Munich 1972. Nothing like that happened. Or even more recently the Boston Marathon a few years back.

17. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I hear a lot of excuses but all of them work both ways and have no merit.