30 nora spells

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Greysands22, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

MAybe; in any case it started with 40 HP buffer without spillover, and now its 35 HP with spillover. Should at least have left it without spill ...

2. TheNidhogg

TheNidhogg I need me some PIE!

Fumes is 35 nora. So there's that.

3. Greysands22

Greysands22 I need me some PIE!

Oh you mean if bubble had 1 dmg and you did 15 dmg that would = 0 dmg?

I didn't like that. Spillover is good.

4. Greysands22

Greysands22 I need me some PIE!

And yeah the list is a LOT bigger if you include 35 nora spells.

5. Boozha

Comparing fumes and tales of valor is silly, though ... the one is moderate to rather powerful in a slam BG, the other is nuts.

6. Scarebear

Scarebear Devotee of the Blood Owl

Maso isn't a crutch. It enables UD the chance to close in on range 8 asshats. We are the melee faction remember.

7. MovnTarget

MovnTarget Forum Royalty

I thought that's what demon shield did. Silly me.

8. Andralexis

Andralexis I need me some PIE!

Is Tales of Valor on the same level as Treefolk's Blessing? Can't provide a solid unbiased answer because I use TfB a lot, but I am inclined to say hell no.

9. GIFTbr

GIFTbr Member

Well, that was all SOE runes folks...

10. Prami

Prami I need me some PIE!

It's not the cost mate, it's the qualities of the spells.

For everyone complaining about Tree Folk's Blessing; it only needs one thing IMO. Replace the Regen ranks given with Plant Regeneration ranks (Maybe give limited DEF to non Trees). Make it less auto include by making it's effects less useful across all themes.

11. nitebane21

nitebane21 I need me some PIE!

You need to stop saying that in every thread. They're ALL SOE runes. Even the ones from before SOE took over, since they're been remade tons of times.

12. GIFTbr

GIFTbr Member

I was about to count the time that happens, now that you point it, its useless... thanks

13. Scarebear

Scarebear Devotee of the Blood Owl

Aoe spam and loads of champs with shatter have made shield very situational. Even KF laughs at arrow eater now. Silly you indeed.

14. TheNidhogg

TheNidhogg I need me some PIE!

Yeah.. I have no problem with TfB being nerfed because I don't run it in anything but Treefolk where it's a 1x.

15. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

Using a system other than Nora could better regulate spell usage, but such a mechanic could also add to more confusion or increase the learning curve for Pox Nora. Spells will be one of the things that will be looked at as we start to tune the game.

16. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

Good to know ^^

I don't suppose you could look at the idea of damage spells as a whole? I know the game needs damage spells, but they can seriously overshadow utility spells that are generally more interesting.

Also, nuking "power turns" is an issue. You can't ever form up your units and you can't ever really know if your 50hp unit is going to live past next turn, even if he seems completely safe. I know spells are meant to be tactical, but I don't think destroying a full health unit in a single turn is a good definition of "tactics".

Maybe seriously regulating the AoE : Damage ratio and re-evaluating single target damage on a case-by-case basis?

The downside is it feels like AoE spells would need to be balanced around the assumption that the caster is going to use 2-3 at once.

For some, I think DoTs could help too. Putting more damage into the DoT than the initial damage. Helps with spamming the spells as the DoT wont stack and also gives the enemy time to react to the damage.

Could also limit each faction to one type of DoT. So they can't stack it that way except in splits.

IS: Eviscerated
    KF: ?? (Maybe magic type DoT?)
    FS: Poisoned
    ST: Chilled
    UD: Charred
    FW: Diseased
    SL: Scoured
    SP: Shocked

For example, you could change Firestorm to 5 damage & charred 5. Same damage as 14 damage and charred 3, but takes longer and it isn't worth stacking casts of it.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  17. Mercer Skye

Mercer Skye I need me some PIE!

A second resource (Nora Crystals?) for casting spells could be neat. maybe a 'five crystal' line that builds up a new crystal each turn, and allows you to create a tiering system for spells. Tier 1 spells cost one crystal, cd the fastest, and provide a good bit of tactical impact, up to Tier 5 'game changing' spells, which cd the slowest, and provide relatively earth-shattering effects.

Though, not even sure I like the term crystal, but I do like the concept. Think I'll adopt that as my official stance on the topic of spells.

On a general note, I hazard to say that spells have come to a point that you can win almost solely on their use rather than tactical application of champs, and THAT alone is enough to take a hard look at spells in general. Glad to see their on the docket.

18. Emries

Emries Devotee of the Blood Owl

As interesting as the idea may seem, I'd advise against putting in a whole new system into a clunky old client due to a multitude of reasons ranging from coding problems to time to how may people working / programming to new heights in a pretty darn high learning curve :p

19. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

Well, here's some changes that wont affect the learning curve and will curb a lot of issues:

1. Remove bonus spell presence from flying units
    2. Reduce spell presence by half or close to that
    3. Make it so AoE effects do not effect the tiles outside of your presence
    4. Stealthed units have no (or severely reduced (1-2 tiles)) spell presence

Those changes would improve the situation vastly without any additional learning curve. Most woes from offensive spells, at the core, are that the enemy can cast them without any risk.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  20. Boozha

Fikule, don't want to offend, but I don't like your ideas; I think they'd be bad for the game. The only real AoE threat there is is in KF, and I think everyone worth their salt got used to staying out of AoE 3's by now. Damn TC.