At some point this game will have to become cheaper if you want to attract more players.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BurnPyro, Apr 19, 2015.

1. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

9 bucks is still a lot for one random rune of a set

2. Rokkushun

Rokkushun Devotee of the Blood Owl

-Remove uncommon rarity
    -Packs now contain 10 runes, 8 commons and 2 rares
    -Common have a 5% chance to be rare
    -Rares have 10% chance to be exo.
    -Exo have 10% chance to be legendary.

-offer smaller packs in the above format, only with 4 common and 1 rare and rare having slightly lower exo chance, 7-8%
    -allow these smaller packs to be gained at a rate of 1/day with a bit of effort or 1 every 2days if you only do all the dailys (adjust gold value to scale)

-rune gettin events
    -if you play during this holiday event you earn X more gold for a win, and/or 5 and 10 rune gold packs now have one additional rune
    -etc.

-Offer "faction starter kits" and "faction packs" purchasable with both owls and gold
    -Give out forge shards for games played at a very low amount

-remove CP
    -remove CP
    -REMOVE CP
    -REMOVE CP

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
    SPiEkY likes this.
  3. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

You really need to reduce the cost of the theme decks to $10 because the runes in them just dont justify their cost. You must be getting practically no sales from them.

4. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

That's because the runes that are in the theme decks went down in value after the theme decks were released.

5. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I don't think the problem is the cost, you can do pretty well as a free to play player, as others have shown. I don't even think the business model is bad -- you can access pretty much everything for free if you grind and shard and trade enough, if you are impatient you can buy.

I think the problem is with the NUX, and the fact that pox isn't advertising. Steam clearly isn't enough.

I think the devs are on it though.

6. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

this game needs more cosmetic stuff, avatrs, more meaningful campaigns, and recolors to buy.(look at what league does) Runes should be easier to get. A lot of stuff could be sold besides just the runes you need for competative bgs.

Wow I forgot about leugue, brb ima go see how many games my ranked is suspended for lmao. I will be back though I love this game.

7. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

I think there are 2 things that need to be looked at.

1st, Easier entry level. Lots of players playing for their first time will not save up 32k gold for a box or 18k for the cheapest theme deck.
    Something around the range between 5k to 10k should be the aim for new players.

2nd, More things for experienced players to spend money on.
    Many of us wants to support the game, but don't feel the need to buy more packs or boxes.
    Example is Draft, cosmetic stuff etc.

Sirius likes this.
  8. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

How about you make the theme decks $10 each or 10k gold, because that could be the spring board people need to get started. Also you should make them more competitive.

soulmilk likes this.
  9. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Most people are impatient. Most people dont want to drop 500 bucks instantly.

The cost is stupidly high.

10. badgerale

I have no idea where you plucked that 500$ figure from, actually I have an idea.

In any case, if a free tradable/modifiable deck was given on completion of the tutorial, then players would have options in expanding their deck by rune rewards and gold bought packs rather than needing to buy a starter deck or face an unintuitive and slow process of building a deck up from nothing.

11. Scarebear

Scarebear Devotee of the Blood Owl

As I mentioned in the expanding the community thread. New players need a pool of runes straight up. Atm it is little more than a training grounds demo once a newbie finishes the tutorial.

I would give new steam players an interactive screen on tutorial completion. From clicking stuff they can see each faction with a bit of lore and their strengths/bonuses/strats. Give them a choice of one prot faction and one wrath and award them a pool of runes from each. Enough to play around a bit with deck building or even make a split.

Gaming trends are steering away from pay to play. Any mention of it in a review is another lost customer.

12. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

I support this.

13. Psilokibes

Psilokibes Devotee of the Blood Owl

Well, I am not pro not an old player. Just playing Pox Nora since November 2014.

The start is really difficult and a bit boring as a free player. Farming gold vs an "stupid" IA that only basic attack u is not the funniest thing u can do with ur free time. I did that just because I love strategic board games but I think that just maybe 10% of new players do that.
    Paying real money, big amount of it, for a low posibility of legendary rune/exotic is not very atractive. Premade decks may be more meta or ranked balanced so new comers have the posibility to start the versus games early.

Lately I have been using forge and PB more than I would like. I think that PB is great but not fair. Maybe Poxnora can make another type of marketplace for counter them and maybe sell expecific runes for real money each week. Not sure if old players would like that or rage with the open posibility to new comers to get limited runes this way, but I am sure that lot of people will pay some $ or € for them (and not only Limiteds, Legendarys, rares and Exotics too)

14. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

quote for truth

JellyBerry and SPiEkY like this.
  15. Raxar

Raxar I need me some PIE!

its this simple...

16. JellyBerry

JellyBerry Forum Royalty

I think the only reason I stuck with this game is because the friend who introduced me to it willingly handed me a deck to start with (omg omg cute flying owls and Bane Shift), and at the same time I got really lucky with packs (got like 2 150ks back in July last year or something) which allowed all of us to mess around with more stuff. There was nothing much to do but do dailies back then which were roughly 700 gold a day. Needless to say I never waited to buy a box. Till this day I share my runes with a friend because that way it's easier to achieve our goals, as well actually try things and play the game.

On the back of my head I always thought it was mad unfair that you essentially had to get super lucky to give this game an actual try. As a new player, the idea of spending money for things I might not even get were not appealing. Nor were the public decks at that given time. I think things that are essentially meant to keep people interested indeed do have a high cost, and it ranges from rune accessibility to these god damn Firking tokens. Don't tell me that ranked giving them out gives players a choice and that obviously the alternative should cost more, that's an idiotic thing to say when the rune pool in this game is as huge as it is and it keeps on expanding. I don't mind leveling the runes for my first deck, but having to do so every *single* time I want to try something new (which is by all means what pox should encourage) is a hassle. And I should not pay 3.5k gold for what, 600 CP? That's outrageous, and doesn't matter how you look at it, it should change. So incentive for ranked play my ****.

The environment of this game isn't very welcoming, I don't know what has changed over time as I haven't been playing for that long, but things the way they are currently make people not stick with the game. I'd like to think advertisement would change that, but I doubt that would be the case since the core issues that make this game so hard to stick with would be still there. Players I've talked to are more often than not discouraged by the grindfest they are forced to go through in order to get anything done, and it's a fair line of thinking, really.

Overall, as I've said before there's hardly any natural sense of progression for a new player. There are rarely any incentives to keep going or clear goals to achieve since things are either tied to luck or money. I don't bring up the learning curve of this game because I'm sure more people would be more willing to go through it if they had access to more things as well had more choices regarding how to get things done. Bare in mind that when I say this I don't mean everything should be spoon fed to them, but things could be easily more accessible with a few changes (some of them already mentioned here).

Great game once you get the hang of things and start to actually play it, assuming you stick until then.

Edit:

Disclaimer: This statement does not mean I am not happy with the changes that have been made in the past few months. Just in case.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    soulmilk and Pattn199 like this.
  17. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

Go with the Strife business model, it's a MOBA but offers everything for free. You play to gain rank and resources to craft new items that make your gameplay unique, sounds familiar..?

Choose what you want to play as (create a BG); select your specific play style/abilities (edit ability paths); PLAY THE GAME; win or loose you gain resources to enhance your unit (gold); with your resources you gain further customization to your units.

The disconnect is that CP is needed to lvl units, it is only gained at the end of a match and CP is only awarded to units in play. Most efficient way to farm gold is to use units that are lvld however indirectly making your CP gain inefficient by not using units that need CP.

Change how CP is gained/earned and I think that is where you find the correct business model.

In a Strife format all units would be free; this list could be limited by rarity,faction, player made decks etc. so that players can actually play the game. Going with a Strife format remove all CP gained to individual units. Allow for the player to distribute freely where and to which units receive CP; so that when playing a new game the players are more inclined to play whichever unit they want for the sake of the game rather than worrying about CP values and not having the right pathing for the units they play. This allows for a more efficient gameplay that if a lvl 3 unit may be played to win a match sooner vs your lvl 1 duplicate, you are not hindered.

18. badgerale

The only other game I play is that crappy mobile game clash of clans. This game is really one dimensional, has pretty bad gameplay, and has serious design flaws (winning trophies actually makes it harder to develop your base as it exposes you to stronger raiders).

Yet I play it along with millions of others because:

1. It gets me invested early, and the more time i spend time developing my base, the less inclined I am to let that be wasted.
    2. Since it is free, there is never a reason not to keep going (other than the wasting my life one obviously).

I think pox needs to take the same approach.

xezno and Fentum like this.
  19. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

This is only true if the champ that you're using is a theme enabler that needs to be leveled in order to fit its theme.

Oozing Slag is a prime example. Ooze Tap is needed to make a Slag deck work well. Not having an Ooze Tap champ can cost you the game in many cases.

On the other hand, Oozeking Slag has Acid Eater and Acid Bomb 2 as default upgrades. Do many people prefer Guarded: Slag over Acid Eater? Sure, but it isn't going to cause you to lose matches in the way that not having Ooze Tap will. It just requires a small adjustment to how you play.

20. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

*Pox hides in the psuedo world that f2p is actually p2p for sake of sanity*

BurnPyro likes this.