At some point this game will have to become cheaper if you want to attract more players.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BurnPyro, Apr 19, 2015.

1. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

Only knowledge a player would gain by playing, but good point.

Pox is a game designed to play as Trial and Error, this combo worked, that combo didn't. Even if you know every mechanic, a new expansion is released and now 5 new mechanics are implemented and you have to do iterations of tests to find out how to play with/against the new mechanics. For players that won't spend money, their time originally spent on new runes is to Gain CP (Gold being the ultimate goal) to understand exactly how said new mechanics are used.

No matter how you spin it; A new unit with a new mechanic is going to need CP (unless all new units come out with unique abilities on base in which point would be a direct result of this thread) CP/Gold are one in the same because Gold is gained no matter how you play the game while CP is earned exclusively by what units you play.

You play to earn gold efficiently; Most efficient way is to have CP invested into your units (unless specifically playing a bg that is tailored to on base ability) which requires intimate knowledge of the game to build around)

2. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

you didn't even like his post for getting two posts yourself

rude

3. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

I am not even sure how a new player would properly play this game starting from scratch like they do. Exotic and legendary runes are very expensive considering how essential many of them are to properly make most decks.

This is the biggest reason this game doesn't attract new players or when it does they don't stick with this game. This is a much bigger problem even than the lack of promotion and advertising. Advertising and promotion are fine when the game is in great shape but there is no point at the moment with stuff like this still existing.(and many other issues that are currently being worked on)

Legends, exotics, and limiteds becoming more easy to get isn't the only solution. An alternative solution would to continue working on balance and the lower rarity/shoebox runes so that new players wont need the harder to get runes to be competitive and feel like they are playing a fair match.

Psilokibes likes this.
  4. aseryen

There are plenty of BGs that can be played successfully without Exo and Leg. However you should never plan on someone to give themselves a crutch such as only playing C/UC/R Battle comps. I have spent my time playing the game and have earned (also bought) plenty of my runes. If I give myself deck building guidelines it is only for the sake of making a C/UC/R deck because I just dont abandon runes that I spent countless hours farming for.

That's why I play what I play, because I spent the time with one Battle group to make another. Do that so many times and One rune has sentimental value connected to all of them.

I would want people to have availability to 100% of the runes but then again I want people to experience the game how I did, the grind and countless hours of battling it out as one battle group. However who am I to say that someone will not experience the same kind of enjoyment from this game if every rune was given away for free?

Humor me: If the Devs were somehow able to award a new user (magically they can sort through the bots) all existing runes ingame, what would their experience with Pox be? Would they play campaigns, single player or PvP? At what point would this new player get bored with the current state of Pox and why? Lack of Community and Bugs come to mind; gaining runes can't be the problem because the player has them all. Grinding for CP would be the only ingame resource to acquire in order to expand your battle group because gold would not be needed for packs/boxes buying tokens at their current value wouldn't be a problem. So again we are left with Lack of Community and or Bugs being the issue.

My personal stance is that Poxnora as it is now will have as many bugs (if not more) than a Pox2.0 would if it were to be released in lieu of another expansion. The difference between Poxnora now and Pox2.0 would not even have to give the players what they want, however another cog in the machine is necessary. Flooding the game with units is not adding more cogs, units are a cog in the grand scheme of Poxnora.

5. nynevening

nynevening Member

Maybe a mechanic of expanding your rune arsenal as you achieve new levels in ranked. Like those fps games where more weapons become available as you level up.

6. kagebunshn

kagebunshn I need me some PIE!

It's ironic that many of the people that a majority of people that play this game have been paying a $14.99 a month fee to play one or more of the 'other' games for years and years. Hell, I'm still paying for TWO everquest accounts. I can barely stand SOE because they suck ballz, and they had to sell everquest because they ran it into the ground too. But 15 years later there is still a million things I haven't even started to get around to in that game. It's just too bad the new owners seem to be even lighter on info than SOE, and they don't even patch as often as this game.

This game is WAY more one-dimensional and has a tiny miniscule fraction of the players as EQ. The Owls know that, they aren't stupid. They are a tiny company and they are working on making improvements. Incidentally, EQ has about as many devs now as Pox, since they laid off most of the long term employees. Nobody knows exactly how many because they refuse to specify how many people are still there. Also, they just basically announced that there will be about half as much content coming out in the future as SOE was releasing, which is terrible.

The last thing we want them to do is try and make Pox 2. That would destroy the entire player base's collections that we spent hundreds, possibly thousands of dollars on. That sort of thing would likely drive off ALL the players off.

7. nynevening

nynevening Member

No one lives forever.

8. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

It will take money to bridge the gap between the current life support expensive model and an acceptable cost model because we don't have the population to provide the revenues at this point for that to work.

This means one of two things:
    1) they are hoping blindly that the population will just manifest itself to that point
    2) tthy have given up on the population actually going to that point and will stay with whale life support until d day.

Either way. Sucks.

chickenpox2 and Netherzen like this.
  9. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

I'd be happy if they made recolour legs of dooms and some of lims like fan faire

10. aseryen

Poxnora is as much an art piece as it is a game. 30 bucks an expansion for amazing artwork and a unique way to play a digital miniatures set is not bad at all.

Pox is a Game built when the only other ccg was urban rivals. Kongregate was just getting the ball rolling but honestly Pox was all there was.

Personally whenever I was spending money on the game, I knew it was an investment. But I would be purchasing runes with an expectation that the next expansion would be better. Most of the time it wasnt and any new release was more to calm the tides rather than bring life to the game.

But thats not to say Poxnora is out for the count, someone is going to be smart enough to rewrite the 52 classes and make a Poxnora Dungeon collector game. I dont believe DOGz wants to develop Pox2.0 but someone else can. Very. Very easilly. When the time comes to play Poxnora and Pox2 I absolutely will play a second instalment no matter what. I wouldnt sleep right not giving a game the time of day when I have for Pox. The Artwork won't be the same and Grintmaw may have to just be called Troll but if watered down names is what it takes to get a playable game then sink baby sink.

Conquest of Champions is SOE's Pox. I dont enjoy moving the units around but i still played the hell out of that game. Not sure is the Devs have taken the time to see what has been good for Conquest, but in a year or twos time they will have another game to more directly compare a good/working model to.

11. Moles

Moles Administrator Octopi

Actually we have some big plans for pox which are still in the early stages, if they come off, could completely turn things around and turn pox into the big game it should be.

These are not going to happen overnight and could take some time, so in the meantime we will continue to fix bugs, improve as many things as possible and continue to try and grow the playerbase.

Hopefully you will be pleased with the progress we make for the expansion release.

xezno, Fentum, nynevening and 3 others like this.
  12. nynevening

nynevening Member

Thanks for the feedback! Hope it works =D

13. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I'm not displeased with current progress, this progress just has absolutely nothing to do with getting a larger playerbase.

Also, overnight? How many years encompasses your definition of overnight?

JellyBerry likes this.
  14. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

I am getting quite emotional here. Really.

Been playing Pox since 2007. It's my dream game. I'm a old boy, into strategy boardgames. I just hate the random purchase model. Gave up from 2011-14 but started again this year.

Thing is, I have lots of available cash and I don't spend anything at all on
    Pox. My wife loves it. I was regularly dropping £100 / $150 per month on boardgames. Now that I am back into Pox, I have spent nothing for two months.

I would be happy to just give you some money each month to be allowed to play the game. With static runes. The issue is that I know I will be killed by new runes that have to be better than old runes to encourage people to buy them.

As an idea, how about you have an option for old school boardgamers who will commit long term...

Pay XX to have access to ALL common, uncommon and possibly rare runes. All releases until now. Allow standard games using only such runes. Then becomes a strategy game with equal access for all players rather than luck of random packs or trading etc.

There's no need for Pox to follow the CCG model. Please set up an option to run a boardgame model. Access to all runes. Pay for access to all runes each expansion.

I can't believe that Pox still exists, but I hope it goes on a long time yet.

15. Moles

Moles Administrator Octopi

Hopefully you should enjoy this upcoming expansion then.
    I'm not talking 10 years down the line, but I really can't even give a rough timescale as it depends on a lot of different factors and negotiations.

Fentum likes this.
  16. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

You are getting me all excited!

Really looking forward to what happens next.