Borderlands 3 and the Borderlands Handsome Collection

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dwlr, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Dwlr

Dwlr I need me some PIE!

With the release of the Borderlands Handsome Collection, Gearbox made statements that the next project 'Borderlands 3' would be the "big one". With the ending from the Pre-sequel...
    ...it might be safe to assume a larger cast from Borderlands 1, 2, and TPS Athena anyway possibly Hammerlock's Sister and Timothy considering the Watcher told Lilith and the others to gather the vault hunters for a war.
    Considering how unplayable co-op is I just hope they don't extend the co-op aspects of the game unless they do some serious tweaking to their system. Even removing the part generator in favor of less variations of the same guns would work for me just to make co-op less exploitable, it's not as if a slightly better or worse version of the same gun is truly a 'different' gun like Gearbox counts it as and amongst the level variation, manufacturer variations and the various attachments there'd still be a wide variety of types of guns per level, not to mention it'd create accidental combinations like the Ajax's Ogre, Boneshredding Savior from the original.

Discuss, but mind the spoilers for consideration of those who haven't played the others.
    Will Borderlands 3 be the last in the series?
    What will the cast be like in 3?
    Is the Handsome Collection worth it since it's just an HD 'next' gen remake?
    What will co-op be like in 3?
    Will they fix the modding the problem?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  2. SaintKiwi

SaintKiwi I need me some PIE!

I don't like games with 30+ DLCs.

BurnPyro likes this.
  3. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Agreed, but Borderlands does DLC correctly. (Except Borderlands The-Prequel, Still a bit iffy on that decision) Most are just options cosmetics, the few that you would want to purchase, offer good game-play, and expand the story by a hefty amount.

Just wait on the GOTY's on a steam sale. I did... ;)

4. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I am kinda hoping 3 begins where 2 ends and has to do with the map.

5. Dwlr

Dwlr I need me some PIE!

Considering TPS ends after 2 I'd wager it's more likely to take place after it than 2.

6. tangmcgame

tangmcgame I need me some PIE!

First, I tried to read your Spoiler but found it impenetrable. That's some high-level spoiler respect.

Second, I love when games I love have DLC, because then I get to play more of that game. I don't care when games I don't love have DLC. I do, of course, evaluate the value proposition before making a purchase.

7. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I dislike DLC when it is given based on where you purchased the game. Why should Steam come with one thing while Gamestop has another? If I can't get all of the DLC, then the designer is doing it wrong.

8. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

How is co-op unplayable? works for me.

anyways the story dlc's are awesome for borderlands 2. don't know for pre-sequel yet.

How will telltales tales from the borderlands factor in this :p

9. Dwlr

Dwlr I need me some PIE!

Modders ruining the random co-op.

The BL2 DLCs were severely lackluster if you ask me, BL1 was much better minus Underdome.

Won't factor in at all, not canon.

10. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

idk. Assault on Dragon Keep was like the best DLC all time.

MEATMAN likes this.
  11. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

guy called me a cheater/hacker in borderlands 1 because I had a character at like lvl 62? whatever the level cap was with the DLC's . he was convinced the level cap was 50 and that I hacked.

12. Scarebear

Scarebear Devotee of the Blood Owl

I found the prequel to be dissapointing. I hope 3 continues in the trend of 2 and as far as dlc goes, I didnt regret a single purchase in BL2 and felt I got my moneys worth for the humor alone. If you dont find Tiny Tina and Torque hilarious you have no soul.

Most of all i'd like to see them move away from having only one single special ability which is my main gripe with the series. Build diversity has been BLs weak spot. You may argue that having more than one special wouldn't be borderlands though.

As for the OPs point about co-op being exploitable. That is the fault of the loot system in BL and my other gripe. You find a gun that fits your build perfectly. A few levels later its obsolete trash. Its not like an ARPG where if it fits your build it can carry you for some time. If the gun lvl is under 3 levels of a mob you really start to struggle. Save hacks exist and people will use them because of this. I'd say the vast majority of people who have played co-op have used a hack to keep their guns levelled. That is fine and doesn't ruin the fun. (And I am typically anti-cheat). God mode, currency or hacking in new guns isn't acceptable though.

13. Dwlr

Dwlr I need me some PIE!

Yea I hate Tiny Tina.
    Level cap is 69 on 1 with a few extra skill points from Moxxi, I mean actual hackers not the idiots who think anything they don't have is hacked.
    The pre-quel wasn't made by the same people they shipped it over to their Australian branch of Gearbox so I assume the attempts at humor were funnier in Aussie-land, atleast I want to assume that since I didn't find it amusing outside a few comments from Timothy. Hated the low gravity and the oxygen mechanics mostly they pushed slamming a little too much and the limitations of the oxygen mechanics cut back on the want to actually look around rather then go straight to the objective. I like Torgue well enough, but hate Tiny Tina with a passion, the DLC attempts at humor were particularly juvenile in 2 and the fact that they made everybody and their brother homosexual seemingly for the 'laughs' just didn't amuse me. Dragon Keep and Torgue DLCs were both pretty contrived, Scarlett had juvenile humor, things that a 8 year old would laugh at "ha ha you said booty" sort of thing, Big Game Hunt was simply lacking substance for me, and the micro-campaigns they released were too short and unrewarding.

Borderlands 1 had weapon proficiencies and leaned the characters towards specific weapons ensconcing you more down a single path making the characters more 'diversified' in that respect, in 2 they all have their blatantly and ridiculously over-powered build that railroads the entire game including the so-called invincibles that you pretty much can't fight without cheesing the game through broken equipment, Krieg kept my interest until end-game, but other than him none of the other characters really impressed me much. Zero's supposedly being a sniper was laughable with his poor tree and terribly designed capstone and ability for that style of gameplay. The pre-sequel was more of the same character wise. Nisha auto-aims for you with her skill, Athena gives you a pretty op'd shield that ends up in an unsatisfying bullet like projectile, Wilhelm is your typical pet style fire and forget skill, and Claptrap is just annoying with his skill, none of them are particularly impressive skills. Timothy was my favorite, but his skill was lack-luster towards the end. (didn't play as the Baroness so I'll reserve judgment on her) Personally I don't believe it's that each character only has one skill it's that the characters don't get interesting skills. A return to weapon proficiencies so that characters would be more different due to weapon choice would be help the diversity and making you pick one or the other in terms of skills per tier and adding more tiers would force more diversity since you couldn't get any skill you want with impunity. Finally removing the red text weapons IMO would solve a lot of the issues, most end up just being over-powered joy killing weapons if you ask me. Axton in 2 can kill Terramorphous in a single shot, Salvador become nigh invulnerable with a Grog Nozzle and a Double Penetrating Unkempt Harold while dealing massive damage and so on a so forth, if people had to use the standard weapons you would have less to worry about with over-powered interactions and people might actually have to learn how to play the game well rather than railroading it through over-power build/equipment interactions. Specialty weapons shouldn't be the requirement in the end, the standard weapons should be perfectly viable and the special weapons should be reserved for novelties not for making broken weapons. You could beat the entire Borderlands 1 ignoring the element effect using a Hellfire or Pestilent Defiler with their unique effects and you didn't even need to get one that is near your level, a level 69 character can still make due with a level 19 Hellfire and that should say something about their 'unique' weapons killing balance in the game, not everybody wants to play in god-mode and by chance you do avoid the hackers online you can't avoid the 'joy-killers' that are using the unique weapons that interact in a broken fashion with their skills.

The loot system should be instanced, but it's not the loot systems fault for co-op being broken. Finding a gun in 2 and having it be useless a few levels later is a scaling problem not a loot problem and finding a perfect gun that fits all your skills is a problem to begin with as the perfect weapons are blatantly overpowered until you have to find another copy of that same gun so you can be over-powered again. The regular weapons need to be balanced so you don't have such interactions to begin with and I can tell you that if you find 3 levels makes a gun obsolete then you need to improve. Using BL1 which has the largest scaling issues IMO, in pt 1 a good equipment can last you at least 8 or 9 levels comfortably, in pt 2 at least 5, in pt3 it becomes a little trickier just due to poor scaling. It's not save hacks that cause the problems it's people hacking weapons that are well out of spec in a game that the right gun already makes it as if you have to try to die or people hacking in shields with 280 million capacity Rose Rose shields like in BL1. A for instance of just how op'd weapons can be and don't need to be leveled is on Pt3 in BL2 I have a level 54 Kerblaster on a Krieg that is level 62, by your statements 3 levels makes a gun trash that's 8 levels on Pt3 and it still works. (excluding using it on something like the Invincibles that just have ridiculous health pools, but normal 'bosses' and mobs in-game it works fine)

14. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

why do you hate juvenile humor so much old man?