Civ 5 War Vent

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Morfeas, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Morfeas

Morfeas I need me some PIE!

I'm currently playing what probably is the hardest war I've ever had to deal with in Civ 5: Super lategame, as Carthage (I know right) vs quadra declare on the same turn: America, Portugal, China, Huns. I got sloppy cause I felt I had runaway a few turns prior, spent all my gold on CS, had lackluster military and now I'm hanging on for dear life. At least I've not been nuked yet. Next World Leader is 22 turns away (I got all CS allied, heh), and I can go to space in a theoretical 36 turns. Oh, and this is deity archipelago. Everything is a firking mess. Each turn takes me 10m to micro everything. Firk this game.

2. StormChasee

StormChasee The King of Potatoes

I've played Civ 5 before though I haven't played recently.

The tightest game of Civ I have ever played was an old Civ 2 or 3 game. I played against America and Germany on diety level. America and I shared a continent and got along OK for most of the game. I don't think we were more than a couple techs apart during the whole game. America launched their ship first. (This game you win by getting your ship to Alpha Centauri first.) I launched my ship a couple turn later that would beat the American ship by a few turns. America promptly declared war on me. A few turn later Germany launched their ship which would beat mine by 1 turn. I hadn't found their capital so I couldn't stop them.

3. Morfeas

long games usually end up as a race to space, the challenge is not dying by then

4. Morfeas

so many ways to find the enemy capital in civ 5, from open borders to spies to satellites ^^

5. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

I always go for a diplomatic victory in Civ 5. It's so easy to abuse the AI's programming by keeping yourself purposefully weak by bribing them into liking you, then stockpiling a hoard of money to buy all their city states a few turns before World Leader elections. I build a few cities in a group, the drop some "colony" cities really far away. If I ever go to war, I turtle up in my home group while letting some of the colonies fall, and suing for peace first chance I get by trading off the remaining colonies.

In PvP that kind of Bane Shift obviously won't work, but I rarely play it anyway. When I do I always play as the Shoshone and amass a huge-ass turf early on, secure a tech/gold advantage from ancient ruins, then dare everyone to fight me. Friendly territory combat bonus OP. :D

6. Morfeas

I usually do that too, and was going for it this game as well, but the AI had had enough of my Bane Shift and decided it's time to teach me a lesson by gangbanging me.

7. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Just led a really, really lean (which means I had no army) war against Russia, won, they offered peace, Itook it because I couldn't bear any more of their cities and wanted to build a city of wonders anyway, as soon as peace ran out Russia attacked again, with Mongolia ganging up ... Which made no sense politically as Russia was the biggest player and they should really not have aided Russia ... Oh well

8. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I rarely ever play single player 4x... so I can't help you.

9. StormChasee

StormChasee The King of Potatoes

Those weren't available in Civ 2 and I think it was a Civ 2 Test of Time game. BTW I have the original Civilization game. Come to think about it the game I referred to before might have been with the original game.

Morfeas likes this.
  10. Morfeas

damn son, you old

11. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

A little off topic, but has anyone ever played the Alpha Centauri spin-off game? I loved the hell out of that thing way back when. The story was fantastic, the new units and graphics were (at the time) really sweet, and it was great seeing a futuristic spin on the Civ theme. Beyond Earth expansion just isn't the same (in fact it's utter crap.........can't believe I wasted money on that thing :().

12. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Ha, i just about remember playing the original (though it was dated when i played it). Still remember the 2D image tile for the settler.

Funny thing is it has hardly changed in essence since then. Test of time was my favourite though.

13. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Yes, and agreed that BE was pretty bad. Though I have heard the expansion helps a lot.

14. Morfeas

Ok, I gave up on the war, first time I give up in about 40 games. Oh well. It was just more frustrating than it was fun. Sigh. :(

15. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

i'm down as long as we can get a good schedule going to play

16. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

I guess we already know we couldn't get a good schedule down to play

17. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

Out of curiousty, how do you guys actually get the motivation to finish multiplayer games without starting a new game on this? I play with Burn, Moles, Devils and a few other peeps and we are yet to finish a damned game :(

18. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

make alliances, kill one off at a time.

19. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

the idea is around so whenever you can play it's available.

20. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Ya'll keep restarting cause you're getting whooped by yours truly