Cold Snap

Discussion in 'Split Faction' started by JazzMan1221, Oct 9, 2015.

1. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

This is an old idea of mine from when Snapteeth first started growing into a theme. The deck is fairly basic in construction, but the theory behind it is sound (and has seemed to fare well in practice as well).

https://poxbase.com/deck/CozCfkczACd0ChTCaUCznCaIcds7@s19s7bs2Ls54S2KR1_R2VE2ve3q
    *NOTE* The Howlers are actually Crystal Rimeweavers; Poxbase hasn't been updated in a while.

The main goal should be obvious: deploy Snapteeth, use Soul Frost on them, generate big nora, proceed to use said nora to win game. For those who have forgotten about this spell, if you cast it on a champion occupying snow or ice, that champion generates 10 nora every time it attacks for the next 6 turns. Since the spell itself costs a measly 20 nora, it essentially pays for itself on the turn you cast it. With all the Snapteeth having access to ranks of Multiattack, the amount of nora you can generate is insane, especially with multiple casts.

That's where the support line-up comes in, mainly Chronomancer. The nora advantage you get from casting Soul Frost will let you get more deploys, which will feed Chrono charges, which will in turn bring Soul Frost off cooldown faster. One can easily see how this becomes a vicious cycle. Chrono also having access to Haste means your Snapteeth will inevitably get ~3 attacks off every turn. 30 additional nora per turn for 6 turns sounds pretty damn nice, doesn't it? And just think about when Soul Frost is cast twice; or 3 times........or more.

But the potential doesn't stop there. ST provides additional amounts of synergy with Snapteeth, in the form of Coordination Tower and Everfrost Manacles. Both of these runes allow you to one-round pretty much anything with ease, and it's not hard to see why. The more attack you're making, the greater these two runes pay off. And what do Snapteeth like to do best? Why, get lots of attacks off, of course! As long as you have a Coordination Tower handy, you can pull off a powerturn like no other. And with the massive nora gen this deck can pump out, you'll be primed and ready for another powerturn on the following round.

There is one catch, of course: Rimeweaver. Straight up, this champion is terrible. Crappy stats, Lethargic, Vilify is a sandbag (in this deck), and you'd almost never want to deploy it over something else. Well.........in any other deck that is. There are two reason why I run Rimeweaver. The first is for Orb of Frostfall. "But JazzMan, you silly duckling, there's a relic for that!" I'm aware of this; however the relic is immobile, while Rimeweaver is not. This allows you to keep up the momentum as you push into the enemy's territory without having to worry about retreating back to cast Soul Frost every time you want some nora. Secondly, Rimeweaver also comes with Snow Shroud, one of the best defensive abilities ever. With its "aura" of snow, you can give one friendly unit Evasive 3 and Reflexes 3 every turn. This is something Orb cannot do, and since spaces are tight, I can't afford to run both. Thus, I'm forced to run Rimeweaver for being completely necessary to make this deck work. If I didn't run it, I would be left with unreliable sources of snow generation, making the Soul Frost trick unreliable as well. And that simply will not do.

If you can get past the Rimeweaver craptacular factor, this deck is fairly decent and is able to pull off some surprising swings in tempo. A single cast of Soul Frost usually brings in a net gain of ~50 nora, which is nothing to scoff at, and it only builds from there. As far as consistency goes I'd say this is one of the more reliable decks I've made, but it's still heavily dependent upon Rimeweaver for snow, and you're also forced to play within an AOE 4 for the entire game due to the way Snapteeth work. Nevertheless, I suspect this deck has great potential, and once Snapteeth get some more decent units, I could even see it being competitive.

2. Ultima

Ultima I need me some PIE!

Looks fun might try building one soon.

3. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I've actually run something very similar to that. Works well.