Competitive/Playable Ranged Units

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by doubtofbuddha, Apr 6, 2016.

1. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

What are they for each faction?

2. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Great question. I think answers should include runes that are viable in at least one BG or context, not ones universally competitive. For instance, Eye of Serkan is powerful when it has support from Carrionlings, but probably won't see play aside from that.

Also, how would you con't primarily-support champs that have a high RNG value?

doubtofbuddha likes this.
  3. doubtofbuddha

As support. So a further clarification is for it to include champions that have a damge value of less than 8, as those can't really be considered real ranged attackers. I am asking this mainly in order to get an idea of waht the competitive ranged environment is like. I will do this for Forglar Swamp.

Also everything @kalasle said I agree with. So if it is good in at least one competitive bg than it should be considered a competitive ranged unit.

4. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Most of IS's ranged units are playable.

5. doubtofbuddha

Most of IS's units are competitive. So they are a reasonable choice if you are making a good dwarves, paladins, barbarians, constructs, grints, or junk list?

Gimme a list.

6. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

A good amount of FW's liches are at the very least decent quality range. Tomb lord, whisperghast, im not sure how hard it got nerfed by dot nerfs but fadewisp used to be pretty good.

7. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Ya IS has a pretty nice choice of ranged units. If you're trying to stay in theme that's harder for Grints.
    I haven't played Leoss so I don't know about those ranged champs.
    Dwarven Windfury looks borderline. Haven't used him since range nerfs.
    Griffin Rider doesn't look the nora at all.
    Demolition Team is shoeboxed.
    Ironfist Glider is meh cuz Reckless flight. He might see play sometimes.

Unless I missed something everything else is playable/competitive.

8. Elves Rule

Elves Rule I need me some PIE!

What actually were the ranged changes?
    From KF mena still wrecks people, centaur archer and aurora sunmage are quite good too.

9. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Aid Defense was taken off range, DoTs are being limited to rank 1, and champs with 5+ range lost damage and/or gained nora.

Some champs got buffed by this, losing a sand bagged ability.

10. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

Jakei Frostbow actually still has rank 3 Chill on upgrades, so I don't think all ranged DOTs were reduced to rank 1. Some lesser known champions might still have a higher rank on them somewhere.

Either that or Sok has a thing for Frostbow.

11. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

There's about 5 champs with Rank 2 or higher DoTs. I already gave the list to Sok.

12. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

The only two FW ranged units which I can with certainty dub garbage are Toll-Taker and Dark Messenger. Both of them have virtually no damage or utility. Everything else I could buy in one situation or another, although deciding on the absolute best options means experimentation.

13. doubtofbuddha

Then experiment.

14. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

we gotta give toll-taker death harvest.

15. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

Dark Messenger is for detection in Spirits! Unfortunately, the unit is too expensive and has no other role than detecting something.

16. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Which is what people should do if they plan to run ranged units. Fortunately, I hate them.

But yes, totally support that sentiment.

This is a thread about playing the game, not designing it (for once).

17. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

Top 6 efficient FS range champions

DISCLAIMER: I am not the greatest player in Poxnora so if you see anything I can improve on this list let me know.

#1. Salaman Hunter 64 nora, 9 dmg, 4-8 range, 6 speed, 35hps. Abilities= physical dmg, hunter's blind, piercing shot 1, precision. He won't miss from 8 spaces away. Most efficient range champ IMO. Drawback= hunter's blind requires set up, and hunter has lowest hp of all range (35).

#2. Darkmarsh Fury 69 nora, 9 dmg, 4-6 range, 6 speed, 42hps. Abilities= fire dmg, leap 3, violent. Cost efficient. Pseudo 7 speed. Fire champ with high dmg potential. Leap 3 good defense ability. Drawbacks= 42 hps makes him an easy kill glass cannon

#3. Augur of the deep 72 nora, 12 dmg, 3-5 range, 6 speed, 43hps. Abilities= physical dmg, leap 3, slam, shock 1 dot, water vortex. Pseudo 7 speed. Slam is great for adding bonus dmg when a champ is adjacent to an object. Leap 3 good defense ability. Water vortex is an amazing non basic attack. Drawbacks= Dissipate lowers dmg and requires Augur to move to minimum range for max dmg that usually gets him killed. 43hps is low.

#4. Snaptooth Ancient 75 nora, 10 dmg, 6-7 range, 6 speed, 48hps. Abilties= magic dmg, cleanse, poison dot 1, phase shift. Efficient 7 range. Poison dot coupled with magic dmg. Phase shift is a great defense ability. Range champ with heal options makes him valuable in multiple bg (empathy, cleanse, or heal champ 3). Best ranged FS magic dmg champ IMO. Drawbacks= his 6 range minimum gets him in trouble when retreating from melee. Phase shift doesen't protect you from LOL and magic dmg don't get cocky.

#5. Firk Voidmage 77 nora, 12 dmg, 4-6 range, 6 speed, 44hps. Abilities= psychic dmg, swap 3, void shield, spatial dysplasia, defenseless. Best psychic dmg range in FS. His dmg is easily amped when firk masks are equipped. Swap 3 is an excellent defensive ability for a range champion, and allows for power turn set ups. Spatial Dysplasia has great dmg potential based on how many champs are in AOE. Drawbacks=Defenseless ability on voidmage makes for easy one turn kills if an opponent is able to execute a powerful double tap against Voidmage with a melee coupled with a spell. At times an opponent may fail to kill him in a single turn due to Void shield percentage calculated incorrectly. Math is hard :oops:.

#6. Tidemaster 81 nora, 9 dmg, 4-6 range, 6 speed, 44hps. Abilities= magic dmg, leap 3, tidal wave, domain water, water front, vulnerable lectricity. Tidemaster is the poster boy for FS and has constant mobility in his waterfront due to his domain water. Pseudo 7 speed. Leap 3 great defense ability. Tidal wave great aoe and the traditional set up for Drown spell. Tidey is also great in boghopper bg because he can upgrade surge boghopper instead of domain water. Drawbacks= Tidey is vulnerable to electricity and usually gets vaporized in one turn by high dmg electrical attacks and spells :eek:.

I did not mention boghopper spitter because I am salty about the changes made to the champion. I think spitter is bad without the ability to upgrade poison dot rank 3 and leap 3. Please tell me why you think Boghopper spitter is still good and I might add him as number 7.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    SaintKiwi, poinl and Alakhami like this.
  18. doubtofbuddha

With the changes they just made to him he is still good. So cheap...

Also Jellebrium Overlord and the FS Angel are both now fantastic.

19. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

I listed those particular champs, because they are easy for most players to get a hold of and cost efficient.

20. doubtofbuddha

FS Angel is not any more difficult to get a hold of than Snaptooth Ancient or Firk Voidmage.