Controller Support Opinion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Aug 26, 2016.

?

Which controls do you prefer (see text)?

1. Option A - Rotated

16 vote(s)
    55.2%
  2. Option B - Normal

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  3. Option C - Hybrid

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  4. Option D - Cursor

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

We are working on implementing controller support for the PS4 port, but the controller will also work for PC.

In either case, if you were playing this game with a controller, which control would you expect?

OPTION A - Rotated
    Each tap/press will be 1 tile, you can hold down the button
    upload_2016-8-26_15-9-16.png

The issue with this layout is that up doesn't go "up."

OPTION B - Normal
    Each tap/press will be 1 tile, you can hold down the button
    upload_2016-8-26_15-10-52.png

The issue with this layout is that you have to press diagonally to access certain tiles (since up/down/left/right would go "around" a tile).

OPTION C - Hybrid
    Option A for D-Pad, Option B for Analog Stick

The intent here is that you use Analog Stick to move around quickly, and then use D-Pad to finetine. But having the two controls work differently has seemed weird to some testers.

OPTION D - Cursor
    Same as Option B but with a cursor determining which tile is highlighted, and the D-Pad/Analog Stick would move the cursor, not the tile.

The issue with this is that it slows down tile selection and is potentially unintuitive to console players.

~

Note: In all cases, diagonal movement is possible, of course (on both D-Pad and Analog Sticks).

2. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I haven't played with any of the controllers newer than Dual Shock 2, but I feel that diagonal is awkward when you're using a D-Pad. I'd rather play a couple games learning that up goes NE and so on than to play every game with awkward controls.

3. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Not a controller user, but always felt that up was NW in Pox.

IronStylus, SPiEkY and flador like this.
  4. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I have always been NE but NW makes more sense because of relocate orders etc.

Anima26, SPiEkY and darklord48 like this.
  5. Sokolov

NW or NE would both be fine in that implementation.

6. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

• Top should be northwest as Markoth said, it would be easier to explain a lot of mechanics (N -> E -> W -> S) unless you want to recode all rellocations to be actual pathfindings for nearest location.
    • Option D would imply a major disadvantage Gamepad vs Mouse.
    • Option C seems like an option rather than a default configuration.
    • I would go with Option A as default, and optional switch to B and C.

SPiEkY likes this.
  7. flador

flador The King of Potatoes

Will it be possible to change from A to B in an options screen? Letting players choose the method that suits them best makes the most sense, and you could even add an option for hybrid controls. If I had to choose just one, I would go with A, but I think no matter which you choose of NE or NW to be up , you're going to disorient new players unfortunately.

SPiEkY likes this.
  8. Sokolov

Players always cite having options, but the real problem is that the default has to be good, as on average, less than 25% of players will even OPEN the options menu, and much less actually change anything.

Default is king when it comes to user experience.

Tweek516, aseryen, Lushiris and 2 others like this.
  9. Sokolov

The point of D is to provide some granularity to the movement between tiles so it isn't one press = one tile, but a quick hold.

Either way controller will be harder to use, simply because of the type of game it is.

10. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

I also support NW being up.

11. Sokolov

Make sure to cast a vote if you didn't.

12. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

I fear it's harder than we think, and it turns out PS players doesn't get into Pox because of it's frustration prone gameplay.

13. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

I voted for C since the combination of quick panning and fine selection seemed the most flexible and, for a somewhat experienced player, fasted method.

14. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Did final fantasy tactics have option "A"? because imo that would be the most "expected" way

Anima26 likes this.
  15. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

Will there be a way to quickly scroll/select ally and enemy champions, like with the L/R buttons? Because that seems to me like it would be the fastest way to move the cursor, and would be the primary movement tool.

If this system exists, I think options C and D become less favorable, because then you confront new players with three different ways of moving the cursor.

I think A is the best, because it's the simplest, and any confusion caused by the rotation should be very temporary- unless the player has never used a controller before, they'll be able to adjust quite quickly. Option A also minimizes the need for diagonal presses, which are more difficult and could be frustrating if the user can't input them reliably.

aseryen likes this.
  16. Sokolov

Yes. We have Cycle Friendly and Cycle Enemy buttons on the triggers.

aseryen likes this.
  17. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

I agree a cycling system should be implemented, similar to tabbing in MMO's to select new targets.

Hybrid seems to be the most fluid for selecting units and moving them. The next issue is comfortably mapping abilities. A for default attack works, however units without a basic attack sometimes don't work with A as hotkey so that needs to get a look at.

I'm using the Steam controller so I have an excess of mapping options however I still find myself bouncing my cursor back and forth between abilities. The controllers really need a feature that allows for quick tips of the skills being selected. Somehow allowing the player to select a unit and from their toggle through the abilities, mousing over each ability and having to press esc to clear misclicks is an issue I see.

18. aseryen

Not sure how it's done but I believe each company can make their own custom icons for Steam Controllers, the touchpad menu is very handy for selecting abilities. I think it'd be pretty cool to have the community make those icons if steam controllers get that kind of support.

19. Sokolov

For clarity, here are some of the current controls:
    • D-Pad / L-Analog Stick: Navigate Tiles/Runes/Abilities (depends on context)
    • R-Analog (UP): Activates Runedock Mode (now D-Pad/L-Analog navigates runes)
    • R-Analog (DOWN) Activates Ability Mode (now D-Pad/L-Analog navigates abilities)
    • Triangle: Combat Log
    • Square (HOLD for 1s): End Turn
    • Square: First Ability Hot Button (which will be basic attack 90% of the time)
    • Circle: Cancel Mode/Selection/Targeting
    • X: Activate Ability/Confirm Selection/Targeting
    • Option: Rune Details View (shows every ability and condition with text)
    We have talked about doing some options to allow for quicker selection of abilities, but haven't settled on anything just yet.

20. aseryen

Select to toggle Terrain is what I have my controller mapped to. I always start my games with a 'gg' to get the grid showing.

Edit: didn't realize option is select so that button is already used.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016