Controller Support Opinion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Aug 26, 2016.

?

Which controls do you prefer (see text)?

1. Option A - Rotated

16 vote(s)
    55.2%
  2. Option B - Normal

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  3. Option C - Hybrid

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  4. Option D - Cursor

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

I know this isn't quite on topic but it's UI related and I know you guys will read this.

A little # next to the spectate game icon that shows how many people are currently watching the game would be an amazing UI feature.
    One of the most fun parts of pox is when the community gathers round to watch a game and chat. This would help games build a bit of momentum.

Anima26 and badgerale like this.
  2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Our initial release of the client is focused on getting the game to play, but I'll add that idea to the list of improvements.

3. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

I'm not sure that is the right approach, man ... I'm really not sure ... Deadlines are poison, man <.<

4. Sokolov

There is no way to do it except that way. If the client can't even play the game properly, showing spectator numbers does nothing.

5. Boozha

Well, the way I would mean would be for the game to work AND have polish. But I guess that would take too long ...

6. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

So options A and B are referring to just D-pad, it doesn't make sense to have analog, which is radial, a limited version of itself. Is it that every option is some sort of Hybrid and that option A/B are more voting on what D-Pad should be defaulted to?

Pushing Northeast on the Analog stick should move the highlighted tile like option A, however tapping North should move the highlighted tile vertically, not up and over.

7. Sokolov

A and B are the same for both.

C is the hybrid.

8. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

Well it seems like option A is what people want, in that case I hope the UI for changing controller options is friendly, doubtful it will mess with the Steam Controller configuration but idt I it find very tactile to have both D-pad/L-analog as the same mapping. If there's a way to have option B as D-pad and Cursor as L-analog that would be ideal as well.

Like I said, not sure if it's going to effect the steam controller but if possible, adding the feature to switch Up from NW/NE would be nice. Somewhat of a lefty switch mode. Allowing to change between each option would be ideal, I know this discussion is about what is defaulted, I'm just concerned that the option to change mapping won't be fully fleshed out and then never get handled.

D-pad and L/R-analog should all be able to be remapped fairly easily, I agree that what is defaulted should have the best feel but customization shouldn't be hindered for those who may want for example; D-pad as option A/B and L-analog as Cursor. The option to hybridize D-pad while in cursor layout isn't mentioned which is why I bring up customization.

9. IronStylus

IronStylus I need me some PIE!

I'm not a controller user, I don't even know the names for every button, but I just wanted to ask, because it is imaginable for me that using a controller is way much harder, will there be increased turn time when ps version comes out?

10. 5amb0

5amb0 I need me some PIE!

why not just rotate the map 45 degrees so the grid corresponds with N E S W?

IronStylus likes this.
  11. Boozha

Because that would not work at all with how the sprite graphics work, afaik. Also, it would be an utter aesthetic change.

12. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Would you say NW is a primary direction? If yes, then that might should be up.

Just think about the pain of trying to play moga mid/late game trying to control stick your way around the map.

13. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

i asked this in another thread but have you considered using a cursor that can be controlled by the left analog stick. using X to select stuff, O and the left and right on d'pad to choose and activate abilities, L2 and R2 to cycle through passive abilities, L1 for terrain detail. up and down on the d'pad to quickly cycle targets. Triangle to automatically select shrine and Right stick to pan map? R1 to toggle grid, and square for flavor text?

14. Sokolov

That is Option D

15. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

is it possible to have control adjustment in the ps4 version?

16. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty