Crystal Dragon - OP or Just Strong?

Discussion in 'Savage Tundra' started by Pipster, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

@Beasts for life
    Defensive Stance (1) 1 Nora
    Defensive Stance (2) 2 Nora
    Defensive Stance (3) 3 Nora
    +4 DEF 4 turns on for 1ap (CD3)

Frost Armor (1) 6 Nora
    Frost Armor (2) 8 Nora
    Frost Armor (3) 10 Nora
    +4 DEF 4 turns on for 4ap (CD1)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  2. Pipster

Pipster I need me some PIE!

Yes, but defensive stance isn't on something that deals 6 dmg every time you attack it. If we are going to generalise like that, at 6 def and 62 hp, it will take a 12 dmg unit 11 hits to kill the Crystal Dragon. That's 66 AoE 3 DMG from the Crystal Dragon with it not doing anything. And more often than not, you're going to have at least two melee champs engaged to it, so that's 132 DMG done by the champ by just being there. The problem is not only the frost armor, the problem is the synergy between the frost armor and catalyst: frost.

Alkioneus likes this.
  3. Alkioneus

Alkioneus I need me some PIE!

Lowering cooldown is a simple and elegant sollution, that won't nerf the rune to the level of unplayability, but force the player to think and predict the moment, when he will activate it.

4. s4ndm4ns

s4ndm4ns I need me some PIE!

I play 2 of those in my frost amp, but have not seen them played that much by others... maybe because it's so hard to some some limited leauge ST players playing...
    Anyway, I do not feel like they are OP at all. There are examples of other champs in the game with high def/tough or other def abilities that you simply do not want to engage and hit mindlessly.
    It's not impossible to play around, please accept ST has a decent playable rune.

5. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

Why nerf frost shield, without nerfing flame shield?

Besides, frost armour really isn't the problematic abillity, rather the fact that he punishes everyone in aoe every time he gets attacked + fascinate for easy engage. The proper way to kill him would be spells/range spam, which punishes melee heavy decks (which are already not that strong imo). If he needs a nerf, it should probably be the damage from attacking him being too high for a champ who already has great defenses.

6. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

if I suggested this change it would occur to both.

7. s4ndm4ns

How about we start fixing ST with buffs rather than nerfs? I dont see general spammed with OP crystal dragon....

8. Pipster

Both frost armor and flame armor (on hellion) are whack at CD1, just a mindless trigger. It would definitely have to happen to both.

9. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

hopefully the buffes i've suggested will be going through as well, this first set was unfortunately on a time crunch so I didn't have a lot of time to put them through for suggestion, but I used the feed back I got from the blizzard ele thread to help improve my future designs.

I put blizzard ele off for another patch though.

I can more openly discuss nerfes then I can buffes so that's why you'll see me commenting on them more, and I can also use feedback more on those since the negatives tend to effect the faction a lot more then the positives.

10. Entrepidus

Entrepidus I need me some PIE!

I support giving Flame/Frost Armor a CD of 2.

That said, Pipster, I want you to look up my current league in ranked. Then, if you haven't already read some of my posts, go through my posting history. Any time someone points to ranking during a discussion for any reason, it's a deliberate or subconscious way of saying "your opinion is less valid than mine." Others have already explained this, but I am an excellent example of this right now. I'm currently in Uncommon league, but I have reached Limited league (where I stayed for several weeks). Knowing this, I don't care what anyone's rank is when I'm having a discussion with them; I only care about the validity of the points they are making at that moment in time.

I'd encourage you to adopt the same mentality :)

Goyo and Pipster like this.
  11. Pipster

I don't believe rank plays any part in the skill level or relevance of a player's opinion, especially not nowadays post revamp. I was being tongue in cheek to the obvious zealotry.

12. Entrepidus

As far as I'm concerned it's the same thing.

People call each other zealots. . . as an excuse to ignore other opinions.
    People point out rank. . . as an excuse to ignore other opinions.

I can understand being tongue and cheek, I certainly love me some sarcastic banter, but you can see how quickly it started to derail the thread. I definitely agree with the concerns in your OP, but I could do without the ranking/zealot comments, in general.

That goes for everyone, not just you ;P

singinsammy likes this.
  13. s4ndm4ns

If double increasing the CD on the ability means 50% of the nora cost, I am all in for nerf to CD2.

Goyo likes this.
  14. Sealer0

No it wouldn't, and it doesn't need it. The first rank of this abillity is undercosted, for what it does.

15. Sealer0

The only reason people are not complaining about defensive stance is because it's on worthless champions. If you would put defensive stance on fx. muck dragon the outrage would be gigantic. Therefore, I don't think this comparison is particularly good. On the other hand both flame armor and frost armor are on really strong champions, and that's where the strengh of the abillity comes to play.

16. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

I wonder what would happen if I made a thread to nerf hellion

Goyo likes this.
  17. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

@Sealer0 The comparison only says "this ability has 6/8/10 N cost for a reason, deeper analysis please"
    @Entrepidus I don't consider myself a zealot at all. We might disagree on what a zealot is.

18. Entrepidus

When I say I'm tired of the ranking/zealot comments, I'm tired of people calling each other zealots or pointing at rank.

I don't think anyone is a zealot and I'll never call anyone that :p

Goyo likes this.
  19. s4ndm4ns

I never did and never will suggest anything that will nerf ST rune unless it crossed that "OP" line. I am all about buffing stuff up to "not a bad choice" status, if we have all of those, there will be variety of runes played across the board, even if its sprite/art that is deciding factor. Crystal Dragon does not cross that line for me.

Goyo likes this.
  20. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

I feel the same and that's why I expect a deeper analysis. Instead I'm called low skilled and zealot :p