Crystal Dragon - OP or Just Strong?

Discussion in 'Savage Tundra' started by Pipster, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Bazinga!
    On a serious note, though, what you guys need to realise is that Im not even mad or pissed at the game anymore. Leaving the council was a good move by me. I just use a harsh tone, at times, for things that are really, really absurd to my eyes.
    And when Im wrong I have no problem with apologizing to people.

2. Molosse

Molosse I need me some PIE!

To clarify on the test game from me and @Markoth I don't believe Frost Armour is an issue by it's lonesome, it is instead a combination of the ST bonus, Innately High Hp, Frost Armour providing a hefty Def boost and finally both the ammount of damage proced from Catalyst: Frost and the ease in which it's proced.

Mine and Mark's silly attempts to break it aside with Frost Shield triggered you'd need to have a 15Dmg Melee champ to out damage the Damage Shield and Catalyst Procs without taking into effect the C.Dragons own attacks and not many champions can boast the 67hp needed to keep up with that kind of trade, especially not if you hit it with any sort of DoT as this will trigger Catalyst every time it ticks down.
    So sure against melee champions C.Dragon is damn silly, it's meaty enough and has an easily ampable damage type, which stacks onto Catalyst lest we forget, to win near any 1v1.

But that isn't necessarily overpowered, it is a killable champion and it can be done so with minimum damage taken in return with the right BG make up, but I'd argue only if the ST is playing damn poorly or the opposing player is running a hell lot of ranged and beyond that Fascinate complicates the matter when fighting over fonts as again, it draws champions towards the damage proc.

So to echo Markoth, I think it's a very strong champion and that Catalyst will need to be carefully examined because that ability will get broken, beyond that I can honestly say it needs a tap, it's too efficient for what it does and requires little to no thought to use properly, I would suggest lowering Catalyst to 4 damage would make the consistent procs more bearable without making it more restrictive.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    Pipster, paldirs and Sealer0 like this.
  3. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

My thoughts exactly, and I don't really understand the valiant defense in favor of this rune, apart from

"don't nerf my stuff please"

I just think the damage proc abillity is a little too punishing for what it requires (6 nora, putting the 70 hp tank in a font). That's all.

4. paldirs

paldirs Devotee of the Blood Owl

If you split with SL, you can give your own champions "burred 4" with Steelspine bearcat. I never understood why this ability was programmed to hit friendly champions, but it does.

Goyo likes this.
  5. Molosse

@Markoth We didn't think of that at all, we are the worst at breaking things.

6. Sealer0

Finally a use for steelspine bearcat.

7. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

Lol that's fncked up...

If your point is weak, you will receive a counter argument. The whole point of it is to push people to make a deeper analysis like Molosse did.

8. paldirs

paldirs Devotee of the Blood Owl

Hey, I already use him, else I wouldnt know it hit my own units :)

9. Sealer0

So you need to have it spelled out for you that 6 aoe damage per damage tick is incredibly strong against anyone not running a range spam + tanks, especially on a 70 hp 6 def champion, and for 6 nora?

Jesus boyo, I respect you but sometimes you are just being inane.

10. Molosse

Sometimes arguments are self-evident and sometimes that makes them the hardest to argue, if people get upset at abrupt explanations try and expand on them as a learning tool for yourself as opposed to them e.g. If X individual makes a comment about something so self-evident it hurts and Y individual disagree's without offering any real explanation, which I might add I see many of the players arguing against any change doing just that, instead treat it as a chance to test your own skills at discussion as opposed to attempting to convince Y since they've proven to have little to say on the subject other than refute it.

Sealer0 likes this.
  11. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

So, I've read all the past pages a bit quickly, and believe nobody made a comparison between Crystal dragon and most other ST flying champions. IMHO, if we view it from a ST flying Champion perspective, hell yea it's stupidly OP.

Now, if we look at where Crystal Dragon stands in the game as a whole, it's at most a good Champion(although I have to mention I've Always seen catalyst as OP in certain situations, even before revamp), along with only a few large champions I'm not talking about right now that kind of make up a meta Flying ST BG, just check one of Heajmac's games.

I also want to state one last thing: nobody runs forst armor at any level higher than 1, so(once again, I apologize if this has been said) my suggestion is to make def buff scaling with ability level, along with frost shield, +2/+3/+4 for example, or +1/+2/+3 if a nerf is needed, although I worry more a bit more about catalyst, even knowing the problem is the synergy of a tanking ability and one of the most powerful passive damage abilities in the game.

Goyo likes this.
  12. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

@Sealer0 Sorry that was not a personal offense, more like "I like seeing construtive posts rather than random nerf comments", so I counterargument until someone else (most of the times) comes with a nice idea. Not as useful as I would like it to be.

Lushiris and Sealer0 like this.
  13. Pipster

Pipster I need me some PIE!

I think Molosse has done a much better job expressing this whole thing than I have, but I will say this. I am not someone who gets riled up or starts throwing insults because someone just disagrees with me.

I started this topic to get input from people, not trying to nerf the Crystal Dragon into oblivion, but hopefully give a small tap to an overly efficient champion. I stated that I believe the synergy between catalyst frost and frost armor was a bit over the top and the first input I received was "Yeah, I agree. Frost armor should be put to CD 2". This is a suggestion which everyone here agrees with, except Goyo and KingJad. They talk about "deeper analysis" and all that other bullshit but what is their "analysis"?

Nothing more than a sarcastic response about how the ability costs 2 AP and that justifies it being on CD1. Give me a break.

14. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

I have been convinced that catalyst could use a minor rework, but you keep going back on to the armor which is not the problem your facing your complaining about the damage caused by the catalyst I rather not have two abilities nerfed when only one is the actual problem.

Sealer0 and Goyo like this.
  15. KingJad

alright so I think we should start simply making catalyst proc from basic attacks which was already suggested by someone. We are gonna give this the treefolk approach.

16. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

Opponent damage, not basic attacks.

17. Molosse

No, see, that just removes the stupid interactions and combo's without actually impacting the efficiency of the champion, so either make the damage proc more restrictive, though not all the way to "Basic Attacks" as I feel that's a tad too much, or reduce the ammount of damage Catalyst causes which is easily the simplest and most effective solution.

18. KingJad

what is opponent damage? as of now it triggers from dots, destabilizing ground and anything that can deal any type of damage and that's too easy to capitalize on.