Demonologist

Discussion in 'Underdepths' started by Elric, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Zythraak

Zythraak The King of Potatoes

I think there is an inherent problem here...I don't think that nora gem was ever meant to be a 'theme.' I think we sometimes go too far when we throw a bunch of units together to try to make a 'theme' when there isn't one.

2. caine1138

caine1138 Well-Known Member

I don't think so either. I do think the abilities on the gems add to themes that exist, though. Theyre add on pieces, not the basis.

3. Burcho

Burcho I need me some PIE!

would drive be an option people would take instead of summon imp? his first upgrade field only has 2 options (summon imp 1 - 2)

4. PiPPoInZ9

PiPPoInZ9 The King of Potatoes

I think that a higher range and replacing summon imp with summon deep elf skeleton will make him runnable in a Teachery BG(if the summons count towards the Treachery count).

HannibalFee likes this.
  5. MakarovJAC

MakarovJAC I need me some PIE!

So others doesn't whine, let's just give him range. And change his summons for dumb abbilities with no use, like Dodge, Block, or something nobody bats an eye for.

6. Elric

Elric I need me some PIE!

Today's patch on 7/31/2014 has revamped the Demonologist.

To me, it's STILL not worth putting in any of my decks.

7. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

Well ST has crystals, let's not say that it wasn't ever intended. It just wasn't intended for n0n-ST.

8. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Give him a go, i'm finding him really fun with summon and lifedrinker

9. gillo

gillo I need me some PIE!

How are you not satisfied with the Demonologist?... He's good and I'm running him.

10. HannibalFee

HannibalFee Devotee of the Blood Owl

I've kept him in my imp bg. sac destruction has been pretty fun with summoned imps along with swarming.

also, sac destruct has been doing 15 instead o 10 like it says it should be doing...should it be reported for bug report or is it just something I miss read?

11. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

No, youre right that it is bugged.

12. Raikan

Raikan I need me some PIE!

After further testing, my first impressions were wrong. He's actually pretty good now. I do think that range 1-3 range OR a melee summon (rather than an imp summon w/ 3-4 range and shadowspawn) would suit him better (and make him a bit different from deep elf summoner). At 2-3, he needs something to engage so he can't get into melee. Giving him summons that can do melee damage instead of range would help with that or, alternatively, giving him 1-3 range.

13. HannibalFee

I think summon deep elf skeleton would give him the characteristic he needs, but it could get a little out of hand if the deep elves can stack with grimlics treachery so either 1-3 or summon some weak melee imp? I'd like to see the imp he summons instead of having range it just be melee but that might just be me.

14. MakarovJAC

Just remember that imp should have some mobility. A 3 SPD melee champion is simply useless. A 4 SPD champions is kind of unlikable. And 5 SPD is acceptable. I did say sane. But I rather stick to the range. He was a ranged champion, and we got to know him as one. Not a silly, situational summoner. I really, really miss his "Cast: Dark Pact"...

15. HannibalFee

I actually like destruction, I hardly used dark pact mostly because you can't really predict when your enemy will cast a single target spell on your guy. At least with destruction he has good attack and can finish off some range unit trying to run away

16. Raikan

Raikan I need me some PIE!

I think Dark Pact was good enough to use on its own as a spell (maybe not anymore since most champions are cheaper--it made more sense back when people used more expensive champions on average), so there's probably no need to keep it on demonologist. Besides, there will be a spell/relic revamp at some point which will (in theory) reduce the nora cost of spells to the point that they become worth including.

As for Demonologist--I kind of think that DES (or summons/illusions) shouldn't boost Grimlic's Treachery (or Surge abilities), but that's more of a global issue. Alternatively, Grimlic's Treachery could have a damage cap. But barring a solution to that, I agree it would be problematic to give him Summon DES--I can imagine battlegroups with 2x demonlogists sitting back summoning DES's that sit by the shrine.

But if Grimlic's Treachery were capped/fixed to exclude summons, I'd like to see a Demonologist that can create an army of minions and then either buff them/be buffed/protected by them/or destroy them to achieve effects. Maybe something like the following: Upgrade Tree 1[abilities focused on creating summons]: Summon DES, Summon Imp, {some other summon ability that lets him work in another UD theme?]; Upgrade Tree 2: Boost Summoned Demon, Surge Summoned Demon, Sacrificial Demon Shield [Sacrifice Target Demon; Demonologist gains a damage shield for x% of target demon's health], and then rite of destruction/life drinker on base.

17. MakarovJAC

NO, NOPE. After getting my own ass handled to me in my own thread, I defend summons and illusions aid in racial effects. I dare to ask, how many DEs can you summon and keep alive enough to cause sufficient global damage?

If you tell me that there is a way to summon like >6, and it can be taught, then good, you are right. Screw summons and illusions. Otherwise, nerfing Treachery won't have any harm in general as it only affects DE theme decks, and these are strong enough to do on their own. That's all.

18. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

Started playing UD today again...gotta say x2 demonlogist is the funniest thing ever.. just across the map rite/summoning all day..... probably would only run x1 after the rite 15 dmg gets patched tho

19. MogaBait

MogaBait I need me some PIE!

In terms of an antisummon counter, do you think Demonologist offers more than Griefbearer? I'm currently trying to decide on which to run, and I also think demonoligist would be useful for magical damage (currently I only have battlemages for magic, which leaves me more prone to bad draws and a lack of incorporeal-counters).

20. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

he is pretty good anti summon ye....probably need x2 tho to work effectively due to 3 cd