Does Pox need a fixed deck size?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by badgerale, Aug 24, 2016.

?

Variable deck size?

1. Yey

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. Ney

18 vote(s)
    45.0%
  3. I liked it better when the SL and UD bonuses cancelled each other out

16 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I was thinking how putting together 30 runes of the same faction is a bit of a headache for a newbie. Both in terms of collecting that many before you can play with your own deck and in terms of knowing what they all do.

As far as I know, most card games don't have this sort of thing, they may have a minimum and/or maximum deck size but not such a strict restriction as 'you must have 30 runes exactly'.

So would it not be better to have something like between 20 and 30 runes per deck?

There might be a greater risk of broken combos, but there always a risk of that.

2. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

I'm torn on the issue; there'd have to be some analysis to see which deck sizes could potentially have horrible side effects. FW with 60 rune slots might be something I wouldn't want to fight ever. Due to the high number of reveals (compared to other games) toolbox runes would get a lot more widespread, I'd imagine.

3. RasielCZ

RasielCZ I need me some PIE!

a 80 rune deck with demon call sounds interesting, i could finally play all the champs i want to

4. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I'm sorry man, I can't ignore the memes. Gotta get that old school vote in.

Either how, except for draws, less runes is much weaker 99% of the time. Except in the instance like you mentioned, where you're drawing into a game winning combo and just need the reveals.

5. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

6. badgerale

Well it could potentially be any size and without limitations at all, I don't want to restrict discussion.

7. Elves Rule

Elves Rule I need me some PIE!

People would be able to casually run things like planar dissonance and face no downside over it, because of the high reveal rate this game has.

8. badgerale

I guess I was thinking more about the NUX in the new client than anything.

It seemed to feel better starting with, say, 15 runes and using them to get random rune rewards, which you can then add to your deck and get more of a sense of building something unique, piece by piece, and without so many rules about what it should look like.

For established players, I think there would probably be an optimum deck size of around 40/45 - which would be enough to run all the counters you want without including too much crap that stops you drawing what you want.

9. Boozha

Maybe 10-30 would be potentially nice for PvE so people could get into it easier. For PvP it should just stay 30 though, I think. Or maybe 28-32.

10. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

I do often find, when making a deck, that there's 10-15 more runes that I want in it than I can fit in it, but I don't think that it would be good for ranked to up the deck size.

For single player, though, we should be able to make decks as big as, say, 50-60 runes.

11. Elves Rule

Elves Rule I need me some PIE!

Yeh, why not in PvE. You can already do circus there anyway.

12. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

How would it work with the Faction Bonus?

13. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

Wait. For real?

14. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

I believe the intent of the OP is something along the lines that the first few decks a new player makes they won't know the runes/combos to make an abusive deck. Something similar to the two week trade limit for new accounts however the first X amount of decks a new player makes has a lower minimum than 30 runes, and something along the lines of 15-20 runes so that the runes a player wants to play can be played.

Most likely wouldn't be something anyone discussing this topic would have access to unless making an alt to experience said NUX.

As far as changing the deck limit for the entirety of Pox I would suggest it to be limited to PvE and more specifically dailies/campaigns. Skirmishes is intended to train players for PvP so allowing rules in Skirmisher that won't translate to PvP isn't player friendly. However limiting it to dailies/campaigns rounds out Pox a bit, it would also be a good way to pull data from PvE decks before implementing into PvP.

15. Boozha

Yep. Leads to funny toolboxy campaign beating BGs.

Qucas, Fentum and SPiEkY like this.
  16. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

I haven't played circus for YEARS!

17. Excalibur95

Excalibur95 I need me some PIE!

giving people even more reason to stay in single play and never learn pvp skills?

how then would people coming from single play to pvp accustomise, they would be totally thrown.

18. Excalibur95

circus is a cool idea for some form of pvp... but the number of potential *abusive* combinations wouldn't make a fun game, for me anyway. but for those that want to play that i dont see why not.

19. Excalibur95

i like a fixed deck size, 30 runes is about right atm, i played with 20 long ago but there were fewer runes then. thirty is fine for the board sizes and time limits.

20. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

So... which question do the poll votes answer?

The one in the title? Or the one above the poll?

They are poll-er opposites. :confused:

Anima26, Qucas and badgerale like this.