[Faction] Exploit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by doubtofbuddha, Jan 22, 2016.

1. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

The problem with Witch's Hourglass is it is giving 12 points in stats, for 25 nora to all of your champs (aoe 8 is effectively all your champs) and is triggered off something that is literally no effort. Sure you are paying points for Elsari Coven and DMZ, but you are getting real and powerful benefits for it. Strong theme enabling relics are good, but this one is a bit over the top.

2. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

Exploits are just really boring design. "Gain stats when X condition is on the enemy" is about as lame an ability creativity-wise as I can think of. And usually there's little counterplay involved bc your opponent both applies the condition and attacks on their turn.

3. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I actually thought Exploits was the kind of ability people liked in concept - situation-ally useful via interacting with other runes/abilities, not specifically enforced by a theme, and allows for deck building - so it's interesting to hear that it is considered boring.

If Exploits are boring, then I imagine you don't like Commander and Defender and Battlemeaster either probably then? (I know some people certainly do not like these.)

You probably also don't like direct damage abilities like Throw Axe, which are just "target champion and deal damage" with little counterplay involved?

What other abilities do you feel suffer from this problem? And what sort of abilities do you find interesting and creative and like to use in your decks? Alternatively, what abilities create this sort of "soft synergy" without being "boring" the same way that you find Exploits to be boring?

If you had to design an ability that functioned off conditions like Frozen or Cursed, what would you do?

For example, how do you feel about Verdict of Al'mara (This champion makes a Magical attack at RNG 2-5. If the attack is successful and the target is Branded, the target also becomes Stunned for 3 turns)?

~

Note: Personally, I think we need a variety of abilities in PoxNora - some are "boring" and easy to calculate, others are "complex" and interesting. Some reward deck building skill, others reward play making skills. Too much boring and its dull, too much complex and it's overwhelming. The problem is largely having a healthy mix of both, and having them be costed appropriate, while properly rewarding skill, both in terms of play and deck building.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  4. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

For FS poisoned, soultapped and slowed

5. Sokolov

I do think Hourglass specifically is certainly a potential issue. I know some have suggested Witching Hour is a nerf candidate also, but I think Hourglass is probably more of a problem. It's along the same lines as the Snaptooth Crypt.

6. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

I personally love Exploit abilities.

In an ideal world where they are all costed properly you could even put them on Harbs ;)

Tweek516 likes this.
  7. Sokolov

What do you like about them?

How do you think they should be costed?

Should they be more difficult to trigger?

What if they only gave AP?

8. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

They are both over the top, bit Witch's Hourglass laughs at Snaptooth Crypt. On the surface it looks similar as they are both giving +7 nora abilities in aoe 8, but with the activation conditions of witch's hourglass, it is really +12 nora in abilities.

Both could use an aoe reduction. Witch's Hourglass at the very least should get a cost adjustment or at complete redesign.

Witching Hour would be perfectly good if it just had the healing aspect. When you throw in the +1 SPD (on top of the -1 SPD from curse) its get stuipidly oppressive.

9. Sokolov

Yea, AE5 is standard for that stuff now, which I want to do either way, but in the meantime, I am planning on bumping their cost by 5 and then when the AE5 hits they should be in a good spot.

Exploit I am considering removing the DMG portion at this time.

doubtofbuddha likes this.
  10. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

I think they're flavorful. Definitely more interesting to use compared to Commander/Battlemaster.

I think that would take some careful consideration. If you'd like actual nora costs I'll devote some time to figure it out. For the most part I'd look at the 3 conditions and consider how easy they are to proc.
    For example, IS and SL exploits proc on Fatigue, which happens naturally in the course of games. But on the other hand, ST can hand out Frozen and Chilled easily.
    With that being said, I think IS, ST and SL should be priced the same, with FW being lower. It could be argued that FW Exploit should be the same as the others due to how easy curse is applied in witches, but that's due to the Witch Racial, which is it's own discussion.

I see the argument for them being harder to trigger. Instead of three conditions it could be reduced down to two. Might have to readjust prices.

If it just gave ap I would cost it lower. I know with my Truthseeker and Archangel, that +2 damage is being teamed up with 2 fire damage or -2 defense which makes them hit hard. I think the best "nerf" route would be to limit the conditions to two instead of three.

11. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

In the deck-building sense, yes, Exploits are okay. They aren't racially theme-enforced, which I like, but in this thread I was expressing dissatisfaction with the gameplay side of the abilities--that is, the tactical or in-game side of things. Because Pox is sort of a hybrid game, it has the unique challenge of having to consider game design perspectives of both tcg/ccg and turn-based strategy type games (as you already know). So yes, the abilities allow for flexible deckbuilding, but that doesn't preclude them from being boring to play with/against.

You are correct that I dislike Commander/Defender/Battlemaster and find them boring. I like abilities that manipulate gameplay elements other than stats and require non-quantative thinking. Stuff that manipulates positioning, requires a prediction of your opponent's actions, or allows for an unorthodox use of already present resources. I like stuff like Knockback, Traps, Snow Blind, Relocate, Energy Thief, Leap, Drive, Possess, Pull, Swarm, Divert, or Death Nova (among many others).

I haven't thought much about designing an ability that functions off a certain condition, but maybe something like:

Icebreaker: When this champion destroys an enemy champion with Frozen, all enemy champions within 4 spaces of the target take 8 Frost damage and gain 3 stacks of Sundered for 3 turns.

Insidious Intentions: When this champion activates an ability (this does not include basic attacks) that targets a champion with Cursed, this champion gains one of the target's upgrade abilities at random.

I think you're right that we need a variety of abilities, and I think it's okay to have some abilities be more boring than others. I wouldn't advocate for removing Exploits just because they're boring, but at the same time I think understanding how players' feel when using a champion with a specific ability can be as important to design as how powerful the ability is when in use.

Tweek516, Sirius and JellyBerry like this.
  12. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

I like the idea of rolling exploits into hunter instead.

As for complaints about witches hourglass I would mark it below snaptooth crypt and coordination tower.