Festering Wounds

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ballballer, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

With all the dark favor running around it really isnt hard to get global damage to efficiently use festering wounds. Now, that being said, I think handing out dark favor and other global effects like candy was a stupid stupid move

Ifem21, SaintKiwi, chris0024 and 3 others like this.
  2. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

The smart fw players who are running festering wounds always run 2x wounds, and use the first one to bait cleanse. After the cleanse is done the follow up is the second festering wounds accompanied by a dark favor of some kind, UT, or Tome. If you are FS and have no cleanse prepare to get fcked for 20 dot dmg from festering wounds. Playing moga the last two weeks and being on the receiving end of the 2x festering wounds/UT cycle has been brutal as I was baited into emerald cleansing the first time. At least when I play FS I can second guess the timing on the festering wounds cast and backfire 1 of them. On the flip side of this festering wounds has been a great equalizer to the outrageous amounts of passive and active healing that is available in this game. I hope if it is changed the changes are minor and the spell remains efficient enough to continue countering the heal spam.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  3. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Seems with this, and the usage of DF, if we were to adjust FW in a way that wasn't just efficiency (cost vs damage), we could potentially adjust so it only inflicts Diseased on units that are damaged beyond a certain point.

It's certainly true that the global nature is supposed to be offset by the "damaged" aspect, but it is quite easily triggered.

doubtofbuddha likes this.
  4. negatorxx

negatorxx I need me some PIE!

its good against players that like to turtle up with lots of champs. hint hint

5. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Number of threads i have made about global damage being bad for this game over 9000. Fw has become one of the easiest factions to play, they used to require skill positioning and strategic play. Now it's deploy cheap meat, deploy tomb, use festering wounds, throw out xulos.

6. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Thankyou for recognizing why FW has access to things like this. And i disagree with the premise that a spell that has been this way since it was first released needs to be changed. Though i think originally diseased didnt also inhibit.

7. Sokolov

I only remember this one. And to be fair, in that case it's not like UT and ToH have been proliferated. There is a little bit more Dark Favor now compared to a couple years ago, but in general I think the direction recently has more been moving away from passive global effects.

Sorry if I really missed so many others.

8. super71

If anything we have moved towards more global abilities, look at the last few expansions. Global damage has sprung up like cacti.

9. Ballballer

A) It was changed to enemy only
    B) Claiming something doesnt need to be changed because its always been a certain way is a terrible terrible argument and one that has been proven wrong time and time again

Ifem21 and SaintKiwi like this.
  10. Ballballer

Ahahahaha

SaintKiwi likes this.
  11. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

I do empathize with both sides of this argument as I have taken some time to get to know the skeleton theme. It is hard to grasp the impact that healing has on the current meta game until u actually swallow your pride and play against heal spam protectorate factions with FW. Sometimes disease is the only thing FW has to tip the scales against SL that has regen on many champions and can tank like a mofo. At the same time I encourage FW players to put yourself in your opponents shoes and realize how efficient Festering Wounds is at the moment as it is mostly used in tandem with UT/Tome of hate, or some kind of global dark favor.

12. Sokolov

Really? Your thread specifically complained about UT. I don't believe we've released anything like that.

I remember only 2 new champions with some kind of global damage - the FW Phoenix and the Firk Soulthief.

What other instances are we talking about?

13. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

Do I need to go into why this is a bad argument? I mean, you have made fun of this type of argument before.

Also I don't see why a) FW has the vast majority of the effects that do anything about healing and b) rabid doesn't pay for its anti-healing capabilities.

If healing is important and powerful than things (like rabid) that tamp down on this should be priced accordingly.

14. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

festering wounds isn't really something worth changing atm. Maybe if they buffed FW in other areas then they could take some power away from this spell and maybe make it cheaper. The main reason it is strong atm against 3 of the 8 factions is because it prevents healing for 4 turns globally. If it were changed to global disease 3 and costed less nora it might be less problematic but I think that would probably weaken it alot and I would like to see something given to fw in return.

15. Ballballer

A witch has it as well and so does the ST aspect. FW can roll out with 7 dark favor champs in a ff deck if they want to, and 4 of the 7 basically have two lives and proc dark favor twice

SaintKiwi likes this.
  16. super71

Not anything specifically like tomb, however you did just make a new firk that does global damage with a distract and ensnare....

17. Sokolov

Yea, Malefica does have Rank 1. Forgot about her. The ST aspect has had some kind of global effect since release - not sure if it ever had Dark Favor specifically.

18. super71

I think firk soul thief has rank 2 of dark favor.

19. Ballballer

Aspect had divine favor. Now the correct build is soften and dark favor

SaintKiwi likes this.
  20. Ballballer

Sok already mentioned it

SaintKiwi likes this.