Food!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Baskitkase, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Grilled Cod, Baja sauce, wedge salad
    [​IMG]

Etherielin and darklord48 like this.
  2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

upload_2017-1-28_3-26-18.png

Green beans and red onion
    Yellow rice with potato
    Garlic and shrimp with lemon butter garlic sauce (is there such a thing as too much garlic?)

Etherielin and Baskitkase like this.
  3. Sokolov

upload_2017-1-28_3-27-38.png

Curry chicken fried rice

Etherielin, Baskitkase and SPiEkY like this.
  4. Sokolov

5. Sokolov

upload_2017-1-28_3-28-34.png

Base
    Congee (Peanuts and Ginko Nuts) - Congee is pretty flexible as it is really just rice and water, you can basically throw just about anything in it to give it flavor

Toppings
    Wakame Chazuke
    upload_2017-1-28_3-29-52.png
    This is a Japanese rice seasoning. It has really salty dehydrated seaweed (expands in water) and little rice pellets.

Nanami Togarashi
    upload_2017-1-28_3-30-50.png
    A japanese seasoning with various things: hili pepper, orange peel, black sesame seeds, Japanese pepper, ginger and seaweed

And finally the thing in the top right is a homemade thing of:
    Ginger
    Green Onion
    Garlic

It's made by putting some oil in a pan, cooking the garlic for awhile, and then putting the garlic and the hot oil right over the ginger and green onion

~

I believe you can eat all of this, @Gutsa, though whether you want to or not is a different story :D

Etherielin, SPiEkY and Alakhami like this.
  6. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

food.jpg
    Bengali Tarkari.
    Honestly guys, if you haven't tried vedic cuisine yet, you're missing out a lot. It is unbelievable how they know how to blend spices so cunningly. the taste of each vedic dish that i've cooked is like nothing I've ever tried before, and it's as simple as any regular dish that you'd cook.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    Tweek516 and Etherielin like this.
  7. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

[​IMG]

No vedic, but I do have some grilled cow

8. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Food is the best, I like food.

9. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Nothing makes my mouth water more than well prepared meat, honestly

Tweek516 and Baskitkase like this.
  10. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Enter @Dagda meat joke

I bought my kids some Chinese takeout and stopped at the grocery store for some stuff. Oscar behind the meat counter calls me over and says he's just cut some steaks and did I want some. I said 1 for me. So he gave me that end piece (imperfect cut) for 1.99/lb and that steak was just under 2 lbs. so 4 bucks and it was amazing. You'll notice the spinalis is huge, which is that juicy tender part of the ribeye cut.(For reference those are typically 10.99/lb).

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  11. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

One of my favorites is still rack of lamb. Just so damn juicy, nice bit of red in the middle. Gosh dolly son.

Baskitkase and SPiEkY like this.
  12. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

If God had intended Man to be vegetarian, He wouldn't have made meat taste so damn good.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  13. Alakhami

Tastes tend to change. Meat tastes and smells foul for me now.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  14. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I applaud people who do it to contribute to the world. I do want to do my part, but I'm too much of a sucker for meat.

15. Alakhami

To be honest for me it was first a taste thing. I just slowly grew more and more disgusted with it and myself for eating it, so it sort of had an aesthetic factor to it. But then I decided to go and study everything about it and that made me go for it. If you really like the taste of meat, you'd be surprised how many products there are that replace it -- there's tofu burgers, bean cutlets, tofu chicken, tofu chicken tikka masala, tofu nearly for all types of meat dishes and in some you can use other beans like chickpeas, lentils, mung etc. Moreover, even Gary Yourofsky, the zealous vegan activist admits that he loves meat.
    You can stick with meat if you really believe that you can't live without it, but you can broaden your culinary horizons by giving a shot to what vegetarian/vegan cuisine has to offer, and believe me, it has got a lot of great dishes.
    I've never really got into cooking until I was put into conditions where I had to have a sufficient diet that didn't consists of food that I ate throughout all of my life 80% out of all foods; so as one ethnologist says that people only start developing when they're put in extreme conditions is absolutely right in my case. Now i'm really into it and I actually learned how to do it well, I know how each spice more or less works etc. It's a win/win for me :)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  16. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

I've got a couple stories about vegetarian-ness.

One of which is that I can absolutely confirm what Gutsa says about broader culinary horizons. Of course, I don't see why you can't do that AND eat meat unless you just don't want the meat. Anyway, there's a couple of great little Vegan and Vegetarian focused cafe's in my town and I've had the pleasure of going to them a couple times. Very good, very tasty food. It can be easy to get, so to speak, stuck on the same foods over and over, or overly focusing on the meat without giving proper attention to the veg, using it as a mere side-dish or garnish in some cases rather than bringing out its potential.

This is especially true if you have a relatively limited budget (easy to focus on the same cheaper staples when mixing a few more expensive vegetables, fruits, or spices in could make it much, much tastier [and healthier]) or lack experience/knowledge in cooking. This can also make it seem unappealing to try other vegetables or new ways of going at it.

Anyway, the other story is about a substitute teacher I once had in my highschool Chemistry class. He was fairly young, but also completely bald. He didn't even have any eyebrows. According to him, the reason for it was that he'd had a genetic trait, which meant that if he didn't eat (proteins specific to) meat, his hair would fall out, he discovered this after trying to go Vegan (IIRC at the behest of his girlfriend at the time) in the most distressing manner I can imagine. I forget whether or not he had decided to stick to being Vegan or if he decided to compromise and hope his hair would grow back eventually. Unfortunately for him it was not something he could make up for with vegetable proteins, so he had to make that choice of having hair, or of eating meat.

Either that or he was a very capable liar and had a little too much fun teaching chemistry at his last assignment.

17. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I've got a story about an omnivore:

I once made a bacon tower and ate it. The end.

Proof:

[​IMG]

Tweek516, Etherielin, Ohmin and 2 others like this.
  18. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Roast, before:
    [​IMG]

19. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

waiting for after pics

20. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Takes 12 hours. The smell is making me drool more than I normally do.