Food!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Baskitkase, Jan 16, 2017.

1. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

You don't add enough salt to the water if you can't taste the difference between pasta cooked in salted water. The water should be salty enough to taste like seawater. The salt permeates the pasta while the water soaks into the noodles. It is much more important with dried pasta than fresh pasta.

Ohmin and MaruXV like this.
  2. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

See, there's your problem right there. Lightning is not a reliable way to cook much of anything.

SPiEkY, MaruXV and Etherielin like this.
  3. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

that's what pancetta is :) pancia means belly in italian. but the original recipe is with guanciale that is the cheek meat.

4. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

you do need to do it man, really. A lot of water in a high pot, and two big handfuls of the thick salt AFTER the water started boiling.
    Bacon is quite salty by itself and maybe if you add a lot of salt & pepper to the egg it can be salted enough, but then you will have sauce too salted and spaghetti too sweet. If you salt the water enough, then you will have a more blended salt flavour in all pasta and egg sauce.

5. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

Man, I like you. And I dont question the fact that that dish can be tasteful. But dont call it carbonara. Or at least dont do it in front of any less forgivable italian. My grandfather was from Rome, where the carbonara was created. He was blind, but he would have chased and hit you with his staff if you told him that this dish is carbonara. Really. ^^

Geressen likes this.
  6. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Because they are from the same cut does not mean they are the same. Their preparation is different and you'd never refer to one when you wanted the other.

7. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

i meant that its the same part, but surely you're more informed than me on meat, i'm not a chef nor a butcher.

8. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

[​IMG]

Grilled bone in pork chop, ancho plum sauce, grilled asparagus and mash

darklord48 likes this.
  9. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

[​IMG]

Had some spaghetti with a napoli sauce, Provence herbs, courgette, carrots and paprika this time.

darklord48 and Baskitkase like this.
  10. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

And better lighting.

MaruXV and Etherielin like this.
  11. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Just turned the lamp next to my PC on, that's about it. :p

MaruXV likes this.
  12. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I am still not salting the water for making pasta.

I do for potatoes Canarian style.

13. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

just a suggestion, dont put sauce over the pasta.When you take pasta out of water, put only pasta back in the pot, and mix there pasta and sauce. The flavour will be more blended^^

Baskitkase likes this.
  14. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Question, can I haf dat monies?!?!?

15. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I agree, put sauce and pasta in the same pan and mix prior to serving out onto plates.

16. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

17. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

18. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

is that pilaf? what's it with?

19. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

18015491_10212923817745408_1649969751_o.jpg

This is a typical dish from my hometown. Its called Spiedo that means Spit (in the meaning of the rod to roast meat)

its a mix of: Potatoes, pork lard, rabbit meat, chicken meat, pork ribs, pork sirloin, small birds (like sparrows), sage, in random order. it get cooked on embers for 4 to 6 hours, continously spinning. On the top of that machine there are holes. You put on the holes meat fat and butter, so they melt and pour on the meat. then under the meat there are other holes that recover the sauce of fat and grease into a small pot, so you can get it back on the meat from the holes on the top. This in loop for all the 6 hours.

You eat the meat with a corn cream called Polenta instead of bread.

Ohmin, BurnPyro, SPiEkY and 3 others like this.
  20. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

That looks amazing.

SPiEkY likes this.