Forum Mafia Sign Up: Newbie Mafia

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Gaiaix555, Apr 30, 2014.

1. only

only Active Member

now that you explained the rules, I remember this as minigame in Warcraft3 UMS. it was quite funny. I always wondered what is this mafia game you guys are doing in forum. isn't there really any "platform" for this game to be played in short duration?

2. Gaiaix555

Gaiaix555 Member

Mafia can be played in real life, in which case the clues are usually manner of speaking, mannerisms, facial expressions, etc. etc. Those games usually end with Mafia winning and only last a couple hours or so depending on how long you argue stuff.

We could also do a super fast version of Mafia called "Mafia Lite", but no one likes that because there is little time to really think.

3. Emries

Emries Devotee of the Blood Owl

Do we even have 5 new mafia players?

4. Gaiaix555

Gaiaix555 Member

like I said on page1, this is in the hopes of FINDING some......the forum is far from empty afterall.

5. Regulate

Regulate I need me some PIE!

Two things:

First, filling a game with new players is a great way to make it a complete waste of time. If anything you would want more vets than beginners.

Second, I consider almost all of the pox mafia players to be beginners because they have proven over and over again that they don't really have a clue what they're doing. (Despite taking part in several pox mafia games)

eg. to me, Emries is a total beginner.

Xinde and PurpleTop like this.
  6. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

I don't feel that Emries is a beginner in as much as he doesn't really care and just wants to have fun. It's hard to be a "really good player" if you are never serious though I do feel that having such characters can make games far more interesting.

7. Gaiaix555

Gaiaix555 Member

If we go more vets than beginners, the beginners will get stomped by more experienced play. Vets know tells, they have stronger scum-dars, they have better knowledge of how to use a role, etc. etc.

I'm just going on the assumption that "vets" are actually experienced Mafia players. How they act in games doesn't really represent their overall skill level (Emries and Gerb are good examples) because I'm sure if they wanted to play seriously they could.

8. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

I would suggest to simply format it as vanilla as possible, following traditional roles and rules. Then let whoever wants to play play, no limit on "vets" and "noobs". Honestly I feel that that is the best way to get everyone on the same page with how this all works.

Regulate and Xinde like this.
  9. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

Actually… it can actually be the opposite. Vets, who have a history of action, are sometimes a lot more predictable. Regardless, this is your mafia, you can run it however you want, though I do agree that on the extreme side of things, that having a game full of people that don't know what they are doing, generally doesn't magically give people the ability to know what they are doing.

10. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I'd play again

11. Xinde

Xinde Devotee of the Blood Owl

Gerb's not really a vet.

12. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

*Gerben obtains midnight snack*
    *poses dramaticaly as he throws the snack above his head*
    *Gerben uses bite attack on midnight snack- CRITICAL HIT*

*ding* level up! veterancy gained!

13. Regulate

You say this, but I have never once seen him actually trying to play mafia.

Which means he either needs to learn or stop trolling people by joining a game he clearly doesn't (as you pointed out) care about.

All I recall is everytime I played on pox I had to push for an immediate emries lynch to stop the game devolving rapidly.

PurpleTop and Xinde like this.
  14. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

didnt Xinde lead the town into killing off 3 townies and 1 mafia

15. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

so this is one of the things that comes in alongside not being fixated on your own k/d/a- the town needs to talk together, if there's no communication then they have no way to beat mafia aside from pure luck. that xinde *lead* is the important thing. 3 town for a mafia is a pretty even trade in most circumstances, especially early and especially if the town deaths give you information that can let you get to the next mafia.

could it have been cleaner? of course. you could run into a game where there are just 3 mafia kills straight out and the game is over, but the odds on that are exceedingly low. the other thing here is that most of the town players that got lynched/habitually accused were, in fact, playing scummy. if you're town but not playing to help the town, what's the point in keeping you?

the mafia had fairly little impact on the day phases of the game because of how inactive they were as a group, which as a side note i really didn't like.

16. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

according to xinde's "scumdar" everyone was scummy and his proposed list had 2-3 more townies dieing

17. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

that's fine. you need to realize that doesn't make him wrong. if you act like scum, you're effectively scum.

put another way, if you're not working in town's best interests, then town as a group can gain more from you dying than from you living. if you happen to be town, and to win if town wins, then rejoice that your passing might aid in their victory.

this is not a single player game (rather, it's an exceedingly difficult single player game if you try to make it one)

18. Regulate

Dag is right.

You need to learn to play content, motive, logic and other such things in posts rather than powers.

Only a few people in that game were acting remotely 'pro town'.

The good mafia players (ie, on mafia side) can appear to actively scumhunt (ie what xinde was doing) but mislead the town subtly.

Mafia is a fun game you guys should try it sometime, HEH

Here are some common scum tells for you:
    - WIFOM (discussed in last thread)
    - lurking
    - active lurking (posting a lot but nothing of value)
    - evasive answers when probed
    - bandwagoning
    - voting without giving a reason
    - trying to find out about player powers

Also some people like to play 'meta' mafia - using past game behaviour as an example of justifying a case on someone. I personally dislike this, i'm not sure if it counts as scummy or not but it's bad practice anyway. (Not against the rules, i just think it's not very helpful to the town)

Drastic action (like desperation claims, mass claim requests, etc) should normally only happen under a few specific situations such as LYLO

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  19. Greysands22

Greysands22 I need me some PIE!

I'd like to believe that my excellent maf play as shadowmaster in commi's game got me killed night 1 in Loyutes' game.

=)

Xinde likes this.
  20. Loyaute

Loyaute I need me some PIE!

You have never said my name right. Ever.