Game of Thrones, Season 6

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ohmin, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Starts today, hurray!

While this post has no spoilers, I can't guarantee that following one's wont. (Read as: "They definitely will.")

I heard a rumor going that there won't be too many more seasons, and that some of them might be shorter than the usual 10 episodes we've gotten each season so far.

In the mean time... I'm curious with what the TV will do with the story, especially since there's (far less) book material to draw on. They'd already made a number of divergences from the books to begin with, and they might decide to do some stuff that was "skipped" and just have a different ordering or something, but still, it's interesting.

Hopefully RR Martin will get around to finishing his story as well at some point, so we can see how much influence he's had or given up to the show creators... also I like the books a bit more, but that's in large part because there's a lot more detail/exposition that wouldn't work well in the series.

Anyway, feel free to use this thread to discuss the series in general, and especially Season 6 as it comes out.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
    mw24 likes this.
  2. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Im a few seasons behind, I just decided to wait until the the show finished up. I did hear they are making a Name of the Wind tv series that should be pretty great.

3. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

after watching the first season of Shannara Chronicles ill never again underestimate the ability of tv to wreck a good book

4. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

I don't think that's limited to TV. Anyone lacking sufficient talent to adapt a story to a new medium will essentially end up with this. To make matters worse, it's entirely possible that someone with talent will do an otherwise good job with one thing and then bungle another, or get paired up with people they can't bring out their best work with on the second go around.

5. Saandro

Saandro I need me some PIE!

This show has become so bad.

6. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

are you basing this on the first episode of this season which was pretty much an episode to catch up to the current situation? because arya is gonna kick ass again I asure you.

7. Saandro

The entirety of season 5 + this episode. Nothing makes sense anymore. Everyone behaves like they are lobotomized.

Kampel likes this.
  8. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

They're sitting around drooling?

what should they all be doing?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  9. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Well, this Red Woman stuff is getting old, that's for sure.

Ragic, Geressen and newsbuff like this.
  10. Ragic

spoiler alert

I didn't think it was possible to want a character to die more than Joffrey, but Stannis had to go. I'm surprised they gave him such an easy death.

11. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

Yeah, I stopped watching a while ago, but I have been keeping track of episode summaries. It has all become idiotic, and has really been reinforcing my decision to abandon the show entirely. The books, even with their flaws, are way better than the dreck this has become.

12. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

IAWTP

13. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

I agree that season 5 was probably the weakest one, which is a shame. There was some awesome stuff in Book 5 that will probably never happen in the show due to how things went there (and that likely due to time constraints of the medium and budget). There are some things they can and probably should loop back in that were cut out but...

I think this episode specifically definitely had some problems. Most of it was checking in on certain characters to remind viewers of their situation and immediate results, without really advancing them all that much with a few exceptions (which coincidentally were the more interesting parts of the episode, funny that)... but I'm not sure they could have done more given the setups that Season 5 had put into place, other than (what they probably should have done) try and focus on just one or two areas for the entire episode. As it was, they still didn't check in with all the releva- casted roles for this season. But it does help clear the decks for future episodes. Hopefully.

Kampel and Geressen like this.
  14. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

it felt way more like an epilogue to season 5 than an exciting new season

Kampel and Ohmin like this.
  15. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

it got old real fast.

16. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

More Hodor less red witch!
    [​IMG]

17. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

18. Ragic

he left out the fact that the 'lord of light' religion seems to be spreading. and yeah seems pretty obvious that snow will get the dondarion treatment sooner or later. the show is now past where ive read and it seems if im going to enjoy it Im better off not reading the books anyway. since the subtitle is a song of fire and ice one would assume that a showdown between those elements is brewing. we know who the 'ice' guys are more or less. creepy undead lead by blue eyed necromancer types. but the fire part seems unclear. is it the baby killing dragons or this psychopathic lord of light? not a lot of great choices on the good guy side (kind of like being a republican).

19. Saandro

In the case of Dorne guards literally yes. Nobody does anything. While 3 women kill the lord of the land and his bodyguard. Nobody does anything. They just stand and watch. Then they have a ''war'' speech. As if anyone would even follow 3 kinslaying bastards, who are also women. Not to mention their motivation is ''for Oberyn'', and they kill his whole family. He would be really proud. Sandsnakes created a power vacuum here, but what will happen will be that Dorne will go to war rallied behind them. Then they also literally teleport on Trystanes boat and kill him aswell. How? And why is he sitting in a boat all by himself. I know Dorne was hated last season but instead of trying to salvage it they decided to clean up after last season and start anew by killing everyone. Only the equivalent of ''cleaning up'' in this case would be a cat shitting in your living room. And instead of removing the feces you remove all the furniture and then Bane Shift in the room yourself.

North storyline is stupid. Brienne AGAIN bumps into Sansa in the middle of nowhere. Ramsay sends men and dogs after them. And of course Brienne kills them all. Not to mention the fact they went through water and were dry in the next scene (Such cold winter wow). Or the fact the dogs Ramsay's men had literally disappeared from existence before they would attack. Why is Davos concerned with Jon Snow? He means nothing to him. Why doesn't he kill Melisandre? Or leave for home? Davos literally has nothing to do here. Olly is still a thing. The camera has to show us his reaction every time, just so we don't forget he is the bad guy.

It's all just stupid. Characters just aren't believeable and behave however the writers want them to from episode to episode. Nobody has clear motivations, and everyone behaves stupid just so things can happen.

Kampel and newsbuff like this.
  20. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

except Dorne is very equal in regards to sex and offspring in that the sands and in particular the sandsnakes (oberyn's ******* daughters) are treated equally to the nobles and women can inherit and rule. the bodyguards and the sandsnakes did not view oberyns bro as a proper dornishman BECAUSE he did not wreak bloody vengeance for his family.

also they didn't teleport to Trystanes boat I assumed they walked or rode over to where he was and simply walked into his room.

Dorne is now ruled by the sandsnakes and they will be wanting a war, yes that seems like a stupid idea but Dorne is passionate and has NEVER been conquered but instead joined the seven kingdoms by diplomacy and marriage. they are overconfident.

wait you thought the war was over and tommen was king? a lannister victory? no the defeat of Rob Stark's northern alliance and Stannis is merely a temorary quiet part. the vale is not sending armies to either side wich can be viewed as treason. the greyjoys are still not done, the boltons are trying to gain controll of the north and fight the lannisters, theres religious unrest,

Sansa and theon storyline muddling compared to the book I agree is stupid, I agree with that.

But how do you think olly is a bad guy? is he really?
    Davos and Mellisandre are stuck with the Night's watch during a winter that could take years and their lord/protector just died, Davos is a deeply caring man but not a murderer. He cares deeply for doing THE RIGHT THING. that has allways been his thing. he saw the logic in working with the wildlings. why would he walk away from the injustice of a murder?