Help creating shoebox deck that is ranked-viable

Discussion in 'K'Thir Forest' started by samomo, May 2, 2014.

1. samomo

samomo New Member

Can anyone think of any shoebox runes that are actually viable under certain circumstances? I'm trying to make a really cheap shoebox deck and seeing if it can actually win battles. I'm talking more about shoebox champs than spells.

My current list of potential shoeboxers
    Wind runner
    ospyran valkyrie
    wiz of the ways
    apprentice mage
    conclave warden
    dusk druid(is he meta?)
    elven druid

Can anyone add to the list or give some ideas of what direction i should go with shoebox runes?

2. Pathfnder

Pathfnder Devotee of the Blood Owl

I think dusk druid might be meta still. I know he was a while ago, but I haven't done meta decks in a long time. Ospyran Valkyrie used to be as well, (but I think that was much longer ago) so he could probably still be useful. I still use Wiz of Ways personally and think he is very viable. I am by no means an expert or high rank, so you have to take what I say with grain of salt.

3. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

wiz of the ways is meta aswell

4. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

and apprentice mage too.
    What is your definition of shoebox?

5. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

Here's a small list of what I run/have ran in my KF shoebox decks. This is just off the top of my head btw, it's not a comprehensive list.

- Ambling Frond
    - Centaur Archer
    - Centaur Regulator
    - Circle Messenger
    - Elven Archer
    - Elven Druid
    - Elven Fury
    - Elven Sky Marshal
    - Forest Giant
    - Forest Lerper
    - Garu Hunter
    - Garu Hurler
    - Mountain Garu
    - Nectar Fairy
    - Oaken Defender
    - Outcast of the Flame
    - Rascal Fairy
    - Sapling
    - Sporegil
    - Sprite
    - Timber Wolves
    - Tireless Harvester
    - Wilderkin
    - Windsprinter
    - Winged Lerper

And that's just for champions. There are many ways to go with KF shoebox; you can either take a fast, rush-based approach with Wind Sprinters, Forest Lerpers, and Sky Marshals, or go for a more annoying CC-based playstyle with Sprites, Rascal Fairies, and Fronds. In my view, KF shoebox is all about exploiting your speed advantage. You want to run as many 8+ speed champs as possible to get an early lead in fonts, which will help you progress into the mid-game with more board control. Sprites are excellent at this, and I daresay they could pass for meta very easily. Because you will be running shoebox runes, your champions will obviously be weaker and less effective than the opponent's. Thus, you have to make up ground on efficiency and numbers. A lot of the KF shoebox selections are cheap in nora, in addition to being fast.

Your spell selection should compensate for your lack of damage while still remaining shoebox. KF in general has a bit of a problem with high damage output, and in shoebox this problem is exemplified. I usually run 2x Crowded Forces for this reason; it's an underrated AOE that deals increasingly more damage based on how many champions your opponent has out. The AOE is huge, and it often works like Nature's Wrath or Thorn Collection would. Devolve is another good option for taking care of tough threats. I used to run 2x Polymorph back when I owned them, but alas they are no longer in my possession. Ancestral Anger is a nice alternative; it's a self-buff that grants Berserker 3 for 6 turns. Because it decreases the range of the target to 1, it works very well for when the opponent rushes your ranged units with melee. I usually choose from Grimlic's Bane, Lifeshield, Sabotage, Regulate, Strategic Retreat, Swiftwind, and Truce for the rest of my spells.

Don't forget that the biggest advantage you will have when playing a shoebox deck is the psychological one. Most opponents will be thoroughly confused with your deck and find it difficult to predict your movements. Because of this inner turmoil you will be invoking, try and add to it by typing often in the chat box. Say things like "man, my Elven Sky Marshal is totally baws; you're in for it now!" This will get him to lower his guard and underestimate your deck due to your presumed over-confidence. Make the opponent think the game will be an easy win, and he won't play at his best. Shoebox decks are all about flair and style; be sure to rub that in your opponent's face!