Help Tuning Dwarf BG!

Discussion in 'Ironfist Stronghold' started by Arthas367, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Arthas367

Arthas367 New Member

Hello all I have really taken a liking to the dwarf theme ( both drunk and pally)

So I have been working on putting something reasonable together and this is what I have so far

http://poxbase.com/deck/C8QClMCh7cFcakc6nC8Ws5Xs4BSls7Hs4-sPs87E1ye2y

I have most other dwarfs or pallets at my disposal, and can acquire things as need be, and I know their should be a mandatory banner in their just haven't added it

So what can I add to tune this group up, reasons for selections would be most helpful unless it's obvious

Thanks all !

2. Rapidice

Rapidice I need me some PIE!

Looking at your BG, seems more that you want a Provision/Drunken BG. You'll need someone with shatter to remove the Brews and proc Enrage. 2x Ironfist Collector will do the job. Then you need 6 ranged champ at least. You only have 2 (Hooligan), so i'll suggest 2x Sharpshooters, 2x Magisters (or Scarlets, the one you prefer). I'd remove Roughneck, as you already have enough tanks (Brewmaster, Axeman and Drunken Thug).
    If you are going to run King, you should add 1 Instill Panic, its a cheap and useful relocation that will help to proc Warcry. In my opinion, Minister is better than king for powerturns, 1 Battle Drum + Strip Armor is all you need, plus he helps to set spell powerturns with favor.
    As Brewmasters and Euan dispense equipments, you don't need to run 2x BlackLabel Brew.
    Last, add 1 Strip armor, as 14 of your champs have attack: physical

This is your BG after all these tunes:

http://poxbase.com/deck/C8QClMCh7C4Kc6nC3Wc5jC8WCgas5Xs4BSls7Hs6Ms4-sPs2ds87rHrYe1ye2y

Hope it helps you.

Share the ale!

Edit: fixed the link

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    Baskitkase likes this.
  3. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

It looks like you have a good selection of melee already, and have the essentials of a decent Drunk deck. If you want, you could add a second Roughneck or a couple Ironfist Brawlers. The Brawlers not only complement your deck in terms of flavor, but also become quite terrifying with a Brew on them. I like to take Pummel 3, which synergizes amazingly with Surge: Enemy. Alternatively, he can be built tankiner (and cheaper) with Resistance: Physical. This versatility is very valuable in Dwarf decks. For range, I would suggest either Dwarven Magister, Scarlet Wing, or Dwarven Sharpshooter (or some combination of these).

Magister brings 2 forms of damage, and becomes more efficient as your opponent casts spells (which in this meta, especially at lower ranks, is extremely popular). He's quite mobile with Teleport, and has a versatile range.

Scarlet Wing is basically pure damage; Flamestrike is decent for when he finds himself caught in close quarters, and as long as you keep deploying, he comes with both fire and magic damage as well. He's probably IS's best ranged unit at the moment, aside from perhaps the Angel of Protection.

Finally, Sharpshooter is part utility, part damage. Detection is very good, especially since he can stealth, meaning opponents will get careless and run their own stealthed units boldly forward, unaware you've got a Detection unit down. Aim gives him an advantage over IS's other range, in that he can circumvent annoying abilities like Nokhan Do and Elusive.

Spell-wise, everything looks good, but personally I would remove Tales of Valor. After its latest nerf, I don't think it's nearly as splashable anymore, and there are better options for boosting tankiness (you've already got one of them already: Mark of Redemption). With so much strong melee, a Might of Ironfist wouldn't be a bad idea. This spell has the added benefit of being able to be used offensively for the 10 HP loss, which goes through Spell Resistance, the IS bonus, Weaken Spells, and many other defensive abilities.

You'll also need some good contesting/utility relics. I like Guard Tower, both for the spot Detection (more reliable, but less efficient, than champion-based Detection) and stat boost it gives. It's also one of the toughest relics in the game to destroy, boasting a large HP pool and a rank of Resistance: Physical. Earthshaker is excellent as well for clutch re-positioning plays, along with some quick damage to finish off an enemy unit. The lumbering is uncleansable, meaning the opponent will be stuck with impaired movement for their next turn, making double attacks and font contests less likely.

One last thing I would suggest is to try and find room for an Ironfist Minister and Macadamize. These two runes make up the bulk of an IS powerturn, and because you already run King, they're much more deadly. Some AP gen in the form of Silverclan Tinkerer or Dwarven Sergeant would also be of great help here, as otherwise your deck is very slow and predictable.

Here is my current Dwarf deck for reference (note that mine is not a Drunk deck, but just a normal Dwarf deck): http://poxbase.com/deck/C8QcFcq_CakctdC4KC8Hcj7c5jc1BCgacfgs5XsoSls4Gs7HsPs2ds2prHrYeQe2y

4. Arthas367

Arthas367 New Member

This is definitely the kind of help I was looking for, I appreciate this very much, I'm tinkering around as we speak

Also Rapid your link does not seem to be working

Would attendant squire be worth acquiring ?

Also does pilfer proc enrage? For instance to do provision / pilfer collectors

I also own a DMC used him once and disliked him

http://poxbase.com/deck/C8QCh7cakctdC4Kc6nC8mc3Wc5jC8Wcgacfgs5XSls4Gs7Hs6Ms4-sPs2drHe1ye2y

Just updated what do you guys think

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  5. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Deciding if you want your hiddens given away or not makes up your mind for Magisters vs Scarlets. Other than that, I like Rapidice's deck.

I personally do not think too highly of the Thugs. I get that they are thematic, but they are just too meh, even if they are cheap - in my opinion. I'd personally want a couple of Agents instead of them. Agents are just so gud.

As far as DMC, I've ran him and they really did a piss poor job of rebuilding him. He's got to be ran with an ironfist market place, he needs that train farshot or else he's just a mess. Sure he's great when you can get him set up and repeat bombing, but i'd not do that in a non construct deck.

Dagda likes this.
  6. Arthas367

Arthas367 New Member

7. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

You don't really need defile so I'd stick with Vial. Also, try out tac manual. A power play would be preequiped brew, remove for enrage, then tac man for 10-11 dmg.

Need a banner if you can get one.

Also need one Priest of Valdac.

Dagda likes this.
  8. Arthas367

Arthas367 New Member

I have the banner just never added it to poxbase just kept the slot open

What do you recommend dropping to fit in priest and manual ( since reaver can cover the vial )

9. Rapidice

Rapidice I need me some PIE!

I'd drop Roughneck for the Priest of Valdac, and maybe replace Refute for Manual.
    It depends on how useful has been Refute for you, if you can read you opponent next turn and refute a power turn, its great. If you often fail to refute a good rune, then maybe Tactical Manual is more useful.

10. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

I would remove the blacklabel brew to fit the tactical manual, we are talking about almost the same effect with less setup.
    Also, I would remove macadamize for glorius charge.

11. Pheezy

Pheezy The King of Potatoes

Hey guys, figured I don't need to make a new thread for this. I am also interested in making a new dwarf BG.

This is what I have come up with:

http://poxbase.com/deck/C8Qch7cFcq_cakctdc4Kc6nc8mCgoC8WCgac4-sls4Gs7Hs6MsPs2ds87rHrirYe1uE3i

1) I am still not sure on the difference between drunk theme and a regular dwarf theme? I think some units fall under both. I am also not sure on the style of play for both themes and the level of difficulty in each so can someone explain? I simply just wanted to use Euan and brewmasters (coz they are so tanky) in a bg so I figured dwarf bg was the way haha.

2) I think there are just too many good dwarf units to include in a bg so if I am missing some core units, I would like to know.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Also, spare no expense. Have a Dugon to trade for a dwarf deck and I am hoping it will cover it.

12. GabrielQ

Basically, the synergies at hand are some overlap between dwarf and paladin and the beer synergy, paladins have access to commander paladin and healing and cleansing through consecrate, also, paladins can benefit from attendant squire as a support unit.
    The beer synergy is basically extra efficiency that can be turned into damage with equipment removal like snatch on ironfist collector, brutes get extra benefit from beer.
    So, what you have to do is balance these two things into something playable.
    A example:
    http://poxbase.com/deck/ctNc9vCh7ctdc6nC10C3Wc5jC8Wchtc6Ic1tCgaS5Xs4Bs31Sls7Hs6Ms4-rirYe3i
    This may not be tuned but it showcases the synergies.

13. Pheezy

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  14. GabrielQ

you are missing the synergy of removing the beers to get damage boosts.

15. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Ironfist collector has swipe for aoe removal or pilfer for targeted.

16. Pheezy

Oh that makes sense why you included collectors in your sample bg. Ok so i should add collectors, but what do I replace for them? It seems to me like there are alot of good dwarf units.

EDIT: Can someone also suggest what upgrades to take for the units?

17. GabrielQ