House Science Committee tweets embarrassing climate change tweet

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BurnPyro, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

it's fine, though i appreciate the retraction

one of the longlasting problems with authority work, i'm afraid- the flaws and ****ups are easiest to see

DarkJello likes this.
  2. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Make pox forums great again!

Remove mods 2017

Dagda likes this.
  3. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

If I am given control I will restore the forums to order! I will remove the upper class of mods and can almost guarantee no-one dies!

st3ck, DarkJello, Dagda and 1 other person like this.
  4. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

I'd vote for you over the other mods for the off chance that you ban you know who ... despite you being an awful mod.

It's like supporting terrorists to get rid of dictators :>

5. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

Gressen wouldn't ban me. he'd lose his reason for posting.

st3ck, DarkJello and Dagda like this.
  6. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

if i could ban people, my mod powers would likely have been stripped from me by now

BurnPyro and SPiEkY like this.
  7. st3ck

st3ck I need me some PIE!

It's the American way!

Boozha and Geressen like this.
  8. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  9. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Looks like that scientist admitted radiation was dangerous which I believe you and others repeatedly claim is the way to go forward off of fossil fuels.

I also doubt those sources are free of bias.

10. DarkJello

Nobody is free of bias, unfortunately.

I imagine that nuclear and hydro and green will be the path forward. Maybe some new fangled tech will save the day. We cannot stay on fossil for all that much longer. Anyone know the approximate number of decades that we have left of dinosaur juice?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    Geressen likes this.
  11. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

depends on how willing people are to go to war over the north and south pole, falklands, and the south china sea.

I agree that they should not have fired the scientist for honesty, but hey I already told you that your politics are screwy and since solar and wind keep getting blocked from being develloped further nuclear would indeed as is so often stated (mostly as lol dumb people to go green we need to use NUKULAR cause solar not develloped and wind ugly) fill a gap.

but to me this seems like you are selective and painting the entire 'green' movement as liars while neglecting to see the lies on the other side of the coin.

DarkJello likes this.
  12. DarkJello

The word "free" was supposed to be "green" in my post just above yours. I am guessing which is the best path, of course. But pursuing many leads, including the greener ones, makes sense. Agreed? The predicted % of green energy that will be employed by 2050 is less than 5%, which I find kinda depressing. What thinkest thou?

13. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

in the US or globally? Croatia got up to 28% green. Dutch is second last of the EU countries with 14% predicted in 2020 which would be 6% below the agreement :(

DarkJello likes this.
  14. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

anyways globally that could be with rising energy demands in the third world which really throws global percentages. I hope that increase in the use and advances in green tech here would make it viable to deploy in third world countries too.

but if that % is for the US for 2050, then you are just not adopting/adapting/applying the technology at an adequate pace.

DarkJello likes this.
  15. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

I mean, just to clarify...

Oil is not made from fossils. I assume you and most everyone else already knows this, I just want to make sure.

As far as estimates go... part of the problem is that "new" oil deposits are still being found, as well as new methods of extracting further from prior deposits or ones that were previously inaccessible for retrieval, to say nothing of potential fluctuations of demand if/when developing nations get the means to start massive use of the substance. So while there is a limit based on how slowly crude oil is generated via natural processes vs. consumption rates, is still not clear how long it will last.

DarkJello likes this.
  16. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I am not sure what distinction you are trying to draw, but I suppose the term "fossil fuel" is a bit of a misnomer if you believe fossils only refers to bone.

DarkJello likes this.
  17. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Some of these might be quite risky though. Fracking in OK, for example, seems to be correlated with a high increase in earthquakes in the state. The process also uses up a lot of water (so does farming, of course, particularly meat) and some believe it also has a high chance of contaminating groundwater.

Ohmin and DarkJello like this.
  18. DarkJello

http://krilloil.com/research/oil-not-exactly-dead-dinosaurs/

Great refresher article, at least it was for me. :)

19. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Agreed, I'm just stating that there are no solid time-frames to reach "peak oil" due to new discoveries, technologies, demands, etc. all shifting the equation. In fact, another factor would be gaining increased energy production from alternative sources; which can increase the time-frame for how long oil can last as demand reduces in certain areas (though also if it reduces enough it can slow down both technological and other innovations that would extend the use of it as it loses profitability and funding for such projects goes elsewhere).

20. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

This is how it looks when a Trump advisor talks about climate change