How do I beat this UD/SP Lavaspout deck?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sirius, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

[​IMG]

Lavaspout, the G'hern with Gift of Fertility to accelerate the summons, Warbanners. Mika and Shrine for Spell Resistance, the Nefari Beastcaller for Boost: Weak. Deepcave Extractors for nora. Arroyo Shadestriker with Surge Elemental just cuz you can. To counter range, the deck uses Soul Feed (which lasts 12!!!! turns and seems uncleansable for some reason). To deal with the font difference, the deck uses Consume Resources.

I tried Maddening Echoes because I forgot it doesn't count summons.

Also, I think it's worth noting that no AoE is effective at killing Lavaspout ANYWAY because they die one at a time and they heal each other when they die.

So yeah, anyway, how do I deal with this deck that shouldn't exist?

2. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

Cast Decay.

3. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Xulos+festering wounds+tome of hate

4. damnfoolishyeti

damnfoolishyeti I need me some PIE!

He's sundered lands?

5. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

Lavaspout shouldn't exist.

6. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

I WOULD say "just rush them before they build up", but that map you played on isn't exactly kind to that sort of strategy. Even still, you have to take advantage of the fact that the opponent will be behind in board control for the majority of the game. Most of the champions he deploys are tempo hits that don't pay off until the other pieces of the combo come into play as well. Secure mid font (if there is one) early, and deploy as much as you can before Consume Resources comes out. Remember that the Spout replicas are summons, so anything that counters summons will destroy this deck. You should be running some kind of anti-summon source in your deck anyway: Sever Summons, Shatter Summoned, Raven Tongue in the case of SL, Ritual of X, etc. Take out the bulk of them with these abilities, then just kill the rest normally.

Qucas, damnfoolishyeti and Kampel like this.
  7. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

Locust then.

8. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

Can't swarm them because of Death Nova

9. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

Real answer--> on that map you probably wont beat them unless you get a great draw and they get a terrible one

super71 and Makorov like this.
  10. Makorov

Makorov I need me some PIE!

I don't think Sever Summons or Shatter Summons will work. Anything that kills them in an AOE won't work since they'll heal each other through their Death Novas even if their health hits negative.
    Hopefully I explained myself properly.

EDIT: Sever Summons might. Shatter Summons won't.

11. Ballballer

Sever summons is no longer a thing.

Do lavaspouts still cause the game to lag for the opponent to the point where its basically cheating? Because i could see this deck being a freaking nightmare to play against with oozing slags, lavaspouts, magma bunnies, ghern birthmother, consume resources, etc

Makorov likes this.
  12. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

I guess Ritual of Destruction etc spam could work but I think the cooldowns would be too long.

13. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Probably loses to most FW decks, at least.

14. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Back in the day the trick was not to let them get to the 3rd regrowth, meaning 1 spout splits into two (first), which splits into 4 (second) which splits into 8 (third) if your plan is to kill them. I think the regrowth CD has been increased as well, making this a bit easier. A damage building ranged unit helps greatly here. Once there is 8, and by this time the other spout card is likely revealed, the kill strategy is about over. And if you chose a kill strategy and were not able to execute it by this point, the game is likely over as well.

If your plan is not to kill them then your only option is to rush fonts and squeeze his nora while you continue to shrine and kill it. You'll want to keep in mind all the things UD can do to someone sitting on a shrine and/or contend with the spouts themselves. Tough and/or resilence, for example, would help greatly with this as well as mobility type abilities, fire immunity/resistance, Siege etc.

Those are the basic strategies, beyond that you need some sort of positioning punishing (echos, geomancer) or healing punishing (decay) effect which are not likely something you're going to include unless you happen to be already including them for whatever reason.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  15. Ballballer

The main issue with the deck (especially on this map) is that consume resources means youre continually having to deploy from across the map while they just sit and keep building. So the rushing strategy can be severely mitigated, while the font strategy doesnt exactly help too much, since its costing him like ~15 nora over 4 turns to force you to cross the entire map to engage his cloning champs

16. Elves Rule

Elves Rule I need me some PIE!

Well, if he want's to spend ages building up... All you need is a champ with 20+dmg, 80+hp, range 2-10, and multiattack rank 3, that gains 10 nora every time it makes an attack and is surrounded by impeding terrain.

17. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Gift of Fertility is the key here.

18. Ballballer

This is also important yeah

But in the displayed game, if the person running the deck didnt have consume resources theyd lose, while if they didnt have gift of fertility theyd still probably win

19. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Dumb rune, shoulda been removed ages ago.

20. Ballballer

And what happens when they vpush your make-believe champ?